BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trip to Spain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Trip to Spain Reply with quote

I thought it as good a time as any to begin this thread - it is around 24 hours now until I set off.

The plan:
Day 0 - Getting to the tunnel. A40 out of Gloucestershire through Oxfordshire, and all the way into central London, crossing Westminster bridge, where I will pick up the A2 south of the river, and follow it to the campsite which is near to the tunnel.
Day 1 - South of Bordeaux. Rough route will be via Rouen, Chartres, Tours and Poitiers avoiding Paris, and avoiding toll roads as far as possible.
Day 2 - Merida/ Badajoz area. Crossing the border into Spain first thing, heading via Burgos, Salamanca, Merida. Avoiding Madrid. I plan to stop in Merida and check out some Roman ruins, also I don't think it's feasible to go much further than this in one day.
Day 3 - Costa del Sol - More A-66 to Seville, then out to Ronda and drop onto the coast near Marbella.

I'll then spend a few days with friends before heading back. The return has not been planned much, but I have a first overnight stop with family near Elche, towards Alicante, so it will take the best part of a day to get there. From there as long as my return taken in the viaduct at Millau, I will be happy.

The bike is a 2000 W reg Honda Blackbird, in red, fitted with a pair of new PR2s, 28,000 miles, new oil, new cam chain tensioner, with two spare reg/recs packed in the luggage.

In terms of luggage, I have massive £24 ebay top box fitted onto a pre-existing Givi rack, a pair of Oxford soft panniers, a borrowed rear-seat bag, along with a tent, ground mat, and sleeping bag. I'll try to post some images and give a daily update on here on progress.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Trip to Spain Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
with two spare reg/recs packed in the luggage.

Honda touring kit Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:53 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome, enjoy the sun!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:59 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 jacked by bikelife.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:32 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty impressive mileage to aim for in 3 days, especially without toll roads, have fun aswell

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's time for the first day's trip report. Set off as planned, from Cirencester towards the A40. Passed through Burford which was a pretty little place I have not seen before, though less than an hour from home. Then followed the A40, M40 and A40 again almost to its end. Encountered some very light drizzle on the M40, though I might have to stop and break out the waterproofs, but all was good. Rain stopped as I got to the outskirts of London, though I had set off with a fleece under my jacket, I was boiling by the time I had slowed down for the traffic, and so was the bike. I managed OK through Central London, (Marble Arch, Parliament Square, Westminster Bridge, Elephant and Castle, Old Kent Road) but they do like to get close to one another. Got cut up quite badly twice, once by a van and once by a car, but on each occasion I was able to half-anticipate it so no harm done.
Highlight was an Italian chap on a scooter who pulled up beside me, we had a brief chat where he told about a trip similar to mine he had done in 1992. First time I have had any interaction with another member of the public in London! Anyway it was a short chat, because the lights changed and he applied an Italian riding style off across a busy junction and he was gone.
Anyway, the traffic was mad, I took some gaps filtering, but a lot of the time I behaved as a car, mainly because the bike was made wider with the panniers, and I was not that confident to manoeuvre precisely with it all loaded up.
I found the route out of London on the A2 quite interesting, longer and busier than I had expected, but at one point you reach a large open area of grass, and the smell of the fresh air hits you in stark contrast to the air in London. The A2 before the M2 seems like it is motorway standard, and better than much of the M2 itself.
I then followed the M2 and A2 all the way to the campsite here near Dover, where I have just pitched up to a sea view and an empty campsite. So in terms of driving/riding firsts I have had two today - motorcycling in central London and going on the M2, which I think is the only motorway south of Penrith that I have never used before.
Anyway, off to find the pub in a minute before an early start tomorrow. I'll also try to post some images.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the easiest way to get pictures from my phone on to here please? Ta.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! enjoy the rest of the trip.

More pictures required though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
What's the easiest way to get pictures from my phone on to here please? Ta.

https://postimage.io/ Use this. Then post the "direct link" into the Img Brackets on here using the Img Button.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try this then:

https://s1.postimg.org/lthb28ycv/IMG_20170523_101300.jpg

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip Balm!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:

Good Work, look forward to more pictures as you go Smile

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some massive mileages. 5-600 per day seems like hell on earth. All day just slogging it out on the bike.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Those are some massive mileages. 5-600 per day seems like hell on earth. All day just slogging it out on the bike.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

I haven't worked out what mileage you are attempting but if Matt is correct and it's 5-600 a day you really need to cut that back. It will stop being enjoyable very quickly and become a grind.

I used to try for those sorts of distances if it's motorway and needing to get to a certain place in a hurry but for normal touring I found 300 gave me time to enjoy the journey. Thumbs Up

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like you're doing mega-miles. Still, live updates from a tour Thumbs Up

image riot
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a bit late for this thread but me and my mate rode to Bordeaux last year and it took 2 days, avoiding toll routes. We're not slow riders either. I was totally exhausted. Pitching a tent after that was awful. So to do it in one day...rather you than me pal. Looking forward to your updates though.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a long update today as exhausted. The mileage i did not mind too much. It was the Bordeaux teatime traffic that got me. Probably 30 miles of more or less standing traffic. I did not expect to be forced to perfect long-distance filtering with a fully loaded touring bike today. Still fair play to the French drivers they were excellent with their mirrors on the whole and made way for me the whole distance.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I doubt i am the only one feeling unsatisfied with that post lol. Rolling Eyes

Pictures are needed. Razz

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others said lots of miles in one day. From Sevilla you have Granada that is worthy to check out, Alhambra (book tickets in advance), Albaicín district is awesome, and Granada is renown for tapas, so go around the bars ordering beer/wine and getting some free tapas with your drink, avoid the usual town centre touristy places of course.

I am from Elche, worth having a walk around the Basilica, Palacio de Altamira and the Archaeological museum but do not expect too much, I am biased, but the food is really good. Then maybe popping down to Santa Pola, a coastal town to Los Curros next to the Port for chopitos (tiny fried cuttlefish). Alicante is really close too, and the port and Barrio (old part of the city) are great for going out.

Valencia is worth having a stroll too, specially the Central market of Valencia and all the Calatrava stuff.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to the complejo leo 24 hrs at Monasterio, on the A66, as recommended by bcf. Secure indoor bike parking provided without even having to ask. Too far in one day. Spain is MASSIVE. But what a country, absolutely breathtaking, the journey gives you a sense of the expanse of it, many times you can see for i reckon 10 or 20 miles.
The tunnels and bridges on the northern Spanish motorways have been one of the highlights so far. The engineering input to put motorway through that area is very impressive.
Anyway now within 3 hours of journey's end. I will plan shorter days for the return. I won't be riding 600 miles in a day ever again, probably tolerable in the car, but that has its drawbacks too.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps i know Elche, having visited it on a previous holiday to Spain, aka a normal holiday, on the plane with the family!

Granada is on the route for the return journey too.

Quite a few little incidents happened today, (eg major thunderstorm near salamanca) which i will write up when I have more energy, but i am sure you'll agree today's report is better than yesterday's!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:11 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world's smallest violin player, just for you! @ you lot and small mileages, we ran out weed so went from Spain to Amsterdam and it took about 26 hours of driving. Laughing

The N240 & N260 in Northern Spain from Yesa to Roses is an awesome road but you've kind of gone a bit past that area now. Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
but i am sure you'll agree today's report is better than yesterday's!

Where is it? I can't find it Razz

Nathan0834 wrote:
Pictures are needed.

Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling to upload pictures via mobile Internet. When i get to my pal's house tomorrow ill upload all i have using his stupidly fast wifi. Don't expect too much though, mostly taken from petrol stations!

I am not set up for taking pictures on the move. I don't even have a sat nav.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Day 2 (Spain) Trip report Reply with quote

This was Thursday. Started out early from the campsite, and before most of the Bassin D'arcachon had woken up. I was too stressed the night before to appreciate the natural beauty of this area, but it is quite unlike the rest of France. It reminded me a lot of mid-Florida, very flat with forestry and agriculture on either side. Found my way through a ew towns to the A63. I passed through a town called Biscarosse, which was very nice. I stopped at a 24 Leclerc to fill up, and on exit nearly hit a van as I turned to go to the left of a central reserve, sharp reminder of tiredness and to take ages at junctions thinking them out step by step. That is always when you forget when abroad, quiet areas like car parks where there's not much traffic about.

Got to the A63 just as the sun was getting up in the sky and found that it was completely free-flowing. On I went, bound for Spain. About the second toll booth, as I was getting my gloves off and sorting out the ticket a Polish lorry pulled in behind me with his horn on, the driver jumps out and informs me that my top box is open! I pulled in to check and luckily nothing had fallen out, but I was certain it had been locked so that gained one of the spare luggage straps I had with me for such eventualities.

Breakfast was half a sandwich and water from what was probably the last services in France, not the best but the queue for the proper breakfast was long and chaotic. Before very long a fantastic view of the Pyrenees came into sight - it got closer and closer and very suddenly France ended and Spain began. Second fuel stop was not far into Spain, and I rode along some of the most fantastic road ever. Not necessarily classically good biking roads, but fantastically engineered bridges and and tunnels, through a very difficult terrain. At one point I was on a viaduct that must have been several hundred feet in the air, yet still within the gorge, and then passed under road bridge built above the one that I was on, and a lot this happened within about half a mile between two tunnels!

This continued until my next fuel stop around Burgos. Things flattened, and straightened, out considerably from that point, and the traffic calmed down. At times I was the only vehicle in sight in either direction. And at this point the citrus/pine type smell of Southern European holidays started to hit me, reminding me of just how far south I had come. So much nothing, and half of what there was appeared to have been abandoned for some time. It was around this point that I began to get a sense of the size of the country. My next signposted destination was Valladolid, and this section seemed to take a long time to get along without much variation.

Day 2 part 2 to follow....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2