Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR 125 not starting in the sun

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crofterspeed
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:17 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: YBR 125 not starting in the sun Reply with quote

Hullo!

Haven lurked for a while, I've just signed up to post about a problem I had a few months ago and this forum came up with lots of folk with the same problem and lots ideas how to fix it with little resolution.

So. The problem is with a YBR 125 (mind's an '09 for what that's worth), if it's been sitting warming in the sun it just won't start. You turn on the ignition and you don't get the usual wee noise of the pump pumping, and the bike won't start, starter coughs but the engine just won't fire. I replaced the spark plug, I fucked about with wiring, I tried this and that and everything in between. I even had to get breakdown recovered one fine sunny day.

What finally fixed it was replacing the fuel pump. Now, the next issue is a new fuel pump is ~£300 which is a fairly hefty portion of the bike's value! But you don't need the whole thing, just the pump (and possibly more likely the filter) and I got them off ebay for about £16 (far more reasonable!)

These live inside the tank so it's a bit of a job to replace. Drain tank, sides off, seat off, tank off, undo the allen bolts and you need a few wee prying tools to separate the two parts of the pump housing to put in thenew guy. But when you do,hey fuckin presto! She works! When you turn the ignition you hear the wee pixies whirring away pressurising or whatever it is they do in there and the bike will start no matter how warm the weather.

Anyway, hope this helps someone one day!

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post. I had this very issue. Drove me nuts.... What I will add to your post though is that this part was actually on a recall, so I managed to get the troublesome part and fitting for free at a dealership. Thumbs Up

Apparently any amount of ambient temperature on the fuel tank made the sensor sh!t itself and would stop any fuel from being pumped through.

But yeah, I suspect that your post will certainly help some people that will inevitably still find this problem unresolved on their ybrs.

Good Work. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster is obviously Scotch, so how would he know about the "sun"?

Fake workshop news!

Crofterspeed
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd heard it was on a recall, phoned a couple of dealers who stared down the phone at me like I had two heads!

Har har we have sun too y'know. Usually comes out in summer, which, this year, was a weekend in March.

martinatkinso...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:31 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Same Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Nice post. I had this very issue. Drove me nuts.... What I will add to your post though is that this part was actually on a recall, so I managed to get the troublesome part and fitting for free at a dealership. Thumbs Up

Apparently any amount of ambient temperature on the fuel tank made the sensor sh!t itself and would stop any fuel from being pumped through.

But yeah, I suspect that your post will certainly help some people that will inevitably still find this problem unresolved on their ybrs.

Good Work. Thumbs Up

Hey, was this on your 2011 custom? I'm riding the same and having the same problem in the heat. It's a ball ache and always happens at the worst possible time!

raystone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asked West London Yamaha shop today what it'd cost if I'd stop by with the new fuel pump already in hand — £150. So depending on whether or not you want to shell this out, you may want to attempt doing this by yourself.

I wonder if 20L tanks and fuel transfer kits/hoses are currently running low on stock at Halfords, B&Q and others.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raystone wrote:
Just asked West London Yamaha shop today what it'd cost if I'd stop by with the new fuel pump already in hand — £150. So depending on whether or not you want to shell this out, you may want to attempt doing this by yourself.

I wonder if 20L tanks and fuel transfer kits/hoses are currently running low on stock at Halfords, B&Q and others.

Try an independent garage or do it yourself. Presuming there's no warranty involved.

If fitting it is not too dissimilar to the R125, it should only take between 30-60 minutes to do.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naa, it was on my 2008 YBR.

Raystone, the part is on recall, it should be done for free!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raystone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to check if it is actually in recall, and I checked both, a UK official gov recall database, as well as the rest of the web. The YBR 250 (09) is on a recall for a rear-suspension issue, but nothing else. And the fuel pump itself doesn't seem to be on recall.

Basically, it was only the Yamaha Zuma 125 that was on recall, with the fuel pump being replaced from FS9E39070000 to FS9-E39071000.

The YBR 250 fuel pump is called 1S4E39100000 and 1S4139100100, and I think the problem may very well be the same, but they just escaped a full-on recall on the exact same issue.

Yamaha in London also didn't say anything about it being on recall (they probably didn't want to deal with it).

But interesting to hear you got this sorted for free, that would've been great.

Mazo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:44 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the exact same problem with my YBR125 two days in a row when it was crazy hot a few weeks ago. Pushed it into the shade for 20 minutes and it was fine after that.

If anyone has more information on the recall that'd be nice to have!

AndyP44
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:06 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Hot tank... Reply with quote

Hi guys, new to the forum also, got exactly the same issue with an 07 model, happened twice today, recified only by pouring cold water on the petrol tank then waiting 10 mins then it eventually primed the pump and off she goes.

I read in the initial post that the filter within the pump maybe the problem, was the filter dirty at all? I'm trying to figure out why the pump will not prime when the temperature of the fuel rises due to the ambient temperature, as all I can hear is a quiet click when it fails to prime? all very confusing!! Confused

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Naa, it was on my 2008 YBR.

Raystone, the part is on recall, it should be done for free!

Any proof of this, as mine wouldn't start last night for the same reason, and it does seem some Yamaha dealers deny all knowledge of this

Tank was hot, as it was out in the sun, and you could hear it wasn't priming, or struggling to prime

Bottle of cold water and 10-15 minutes with my jacket over the tank and I was away again

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not Sad I just called the dealer about it that I got it and they said that they have been aware of it as a wider issue, mentioned something about a recall and did it free of charge.

Sorry I cant be any more helpful.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long ago was this and who were the dealer?

sparkywilliam...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue with a '08 ybr a few years ago- a wet towel over the tank for half an hour was a temp solution until I replaced the pump with a cheapy aftermarket for £15.
I did try to get a freebie under the recall but IIRC all my local Yammy Dealer was willing to do was a bit of a discount on a genuine part but it was still alot of money for what the bike was worth and so I just id it myself
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1