Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Jazz handbrake bad.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Honda Jazz handbrake bad. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My mum's handbrake on her honda jazz has been bad lately, as the car rolls backwards on a hill. I drove the car while she was in the hospital for a week, and it's not just her being too weak.

I jacked the car up at the weekend, and while I noticed the discs are the originals that have done 35k miles, and they've got a bit of a lip on them, the pads look near-enough new.

I bled both rear calipers, as well as adjusting the handbrake free play from within the car (I know this is for adjusting the free play more than anything), and while things improved a bit, the car still rolls backwards.

I checked the handbrake would actuate the lever on the rear calipers for the handbrake.

Before I go ahead and get her to pay to replace the discs and pads (which I'll fit for her), I was wondering if you guys had any idea what the problem is.

If I replace the discs and pads, I'll take the sliding pins out, clean them up/lube them, as well as clean the calipers up, wind them back etc to make sure they're working ok.

Thanks for any help. Smile

EDIT: Thinking about this, perhaps her caliper sliding pins are mucky enough to prevent proper action using the handbrake, but the footbrake is able to overcome.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd perhaps give the calipers/pistons a clean up before biting the bullet to buy more, not that they're expensive.

Not worked on one but I know on ignis sports and MR2s the position of the piston when wound into place is important for good handbrake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the condition of the discs affect the handbrake. It's for use when the vehicle is static so they could be pitted and worn to fuck and still work. the natural wear on the pads will be more than disc wear and the handbrake should still work with low pads.

I'm much more inclined to believe cable, linkage, pins or whatever it is on a Jazz that needs looking at.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited ** This depends on year it seems after a bit more searching, sorry**

A quick Google seems to suggest they are similar to the rear VAG`s were they use the caliper as the handbrake, no separate shoes,

In which case Id remove the pads and work the pistons back in and out a few times, this may need a tool to rewind them rather then just force them back,
do this a few times and this with show if the caliper is working or seized, it will also reset the handbrake part, so may help,

remember to slacken off the cable adjuster at the front to get the full benefit of the adjustment at the caliper, you cant adjust the caliper end it is all done by the caliper mechanism inside.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:12 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be relevant, might not.. Laughing

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=31C3634E54DCDFA7802574F00055803B&freeText=Blank&tx

Pukka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing its a mk1 (02-08).

Ours had the same problem when we got it. One of the pads was rusted solid to its lower clip . Clean and regrease sliders/clips sorted it. I make sure to do this at least once a year and hasnt been a problem since. Would definitly try that before throwing any money at it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:37 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all Honda jazz drivers left the handbrake on all the time anyway?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say that the cable moves the levers, do the levers return all the way to their stops when the brake is released?

dansp1
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
you say that the cable moves the levers, do the levers return all the way to their stops when the brake is released?

Cause if they don't go all the way back to the stops the handbrake mechanism won't self adjust, so back off the cables you adjusted and recheck

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I'd perhaps give the calipers/pistons a clean up before biting the bullet to buy more, not that they're expensive.

Not worked on one but I know on ignis sports and MR2s the position of the piston when wound into place is important for good handbrake.

I think you're right drsnoosnoo. It's worth a go to see if it sorts the problem before ordering more parts.

Polarbear wrote:
Why would the condition of the discs affect the handbrake. It's for use when the vehicle is static so they could be pitted and worn to fuck and still work. the natural wear on the pads will be more than disc wear and the handbrake should still work with low pads.

I'm much more inclined to believe cable, linkage, pins or whatever it is on a Jazz that needs looking at.

I wasn't sure if the discs being too thin would affect the hand brake, but you're right, that shouldn't stop it working.

bugeye_bob wrote:
Edited ** This depends on year it seems after a bit more searching, sorry**

A quick Google seems to suggest they are similar to the rear VAG`s were they use the caliper as the handbrake, no separate shoes,

In which case Id remove the pads and work the pistons back in and out a few times, this may need a tool to rewind them rather then just force them back,
do this a few times and this with show if the caliper is working or seized, it will also reset the handbrake part, so may help,

remember to slacken off the cable adjuster at the front to get the full benefit of the adjustment at the caliper, you cant adjust the caliper end it is all done by the caliper mechanism inside.

It's definitely the same sort of setup as the VAG calipers, with the caliper used for both. Good tip on slackening the cable back off again too. I'll give it a try and see how I get on. Smile

piazza wrote:

That's something I'll need to look into, as it's a 58 plate jazz, so might be relevant. I dont think the ratchet mechanism is causing this problem though.

Pukka wrote:
Im guessing its a mk1 (02-08).

Ours had the same problem when we got it. One of the pads was rusted solid to its lower clip . Clean and regrease sliders/clips sorted it. I make sure to do this at least once a year and hasnt been a problem since. Would definitly try that before throwing any money at it.

Pukka, you're right that this is a mk1 jazz. Seems like your fix might be what I'm after. I'll see if I can sort it at the weekend. Smile

stinkwheel wrote:
I thought all Honda jazz drivers left the handbrake on all the time anyway?

I get that feeling too when I see them. It was good fun when I borrowed it for a while, driving at the speed limit in a 30, then giving it everything and losing them on the twisty nsl country road. Razz

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Good point monkeywrencher. I can't be certain if they go back to their stops, so will need to double-check it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll let you know how I get on. Smile

Last edited by johnsmith222 on 11:37 - 24 May 2017; edited 6 times in total

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, it seems my mum has taken it upon herself to take her honda jazz to kwik fit without asking for my opinion, all because i casually mentioned her exhaust is blowing,while I was driving the car.

Around £600 for new back box, mid section, and front cat (which broke when they removed the other 2 sections.

It won't be OEM parts, and it seems this can be had online for a couple hundred quid.

Why do i bother wasting my weekend going over her car, checking things, ordering tyres online, if she goes and does that. Sad

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Ah well, it seems my mum has taken it upon herself to take her honda jazz to kwik fit without asking for my opinion, all because i casually mentioned her exhaust is blowing,while I was driving the car.

Around £600 for new back box, mid section, and front cat (which broke when they removed the other 2 sections.

It won't be OEM parts, and it seems this can be had online for a couple hundred quid.

Why do i bother wasting my weekend going over her car, checking things, ordering tyres online, if she goes and does that. Sad

I know that feeling. Having spent time fixing bits and bobs for my mum that were a real pain to do, only to have her then pay someone a few hundred to sort something piss easy has really wound me up in the past. Especially when it's then done to a poor standard.
Hey ho, you do what you can. Neutral

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:51 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
front cat (which broke when they removed the other 2 sections.
(

of course it did Rolling Eyes they really are a bunch of cunts.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

I know that feeling. Having spent time fixing bits and bobs for my mum that were a real pain to do, only to have her then pay someone a few hundred to sort something piss easy has really wound me up in the past. Especially when it's then done to a poor standard.
Hey ho, you do what you can. Neutral

Yeah, it's a bad feeling, especially when it's someone in your family. Don't get me wrong, I understand that buisnesses have running costs etc. But when I can get brand new parts for a reasonable price online, and have the tools to do it in a short time, it's unfortunate she didn't speak to me first.

Anyway, I will still help her with the other things on her car, so hopefully that will save her some more cost that she would have had.

Thanks. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1