Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election: 8th June 2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You grew up under this era and have been converted into being a Labour voter, yet you claim this doesn't happen?

Yeah, righto... Rolling Eyes

Ok tell me what converted me.

What did Labour do different from the Tories, specifically in those years between 1997 and 2008, that resulted in the 'creation' of their support in 2017.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://connorsvinylcrate.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/warped.gif

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Ok tell me what converted me.

What did Labour do different from the Tories, specifically in those years between 1997 and 2008, that resulted in the 'creation' of their support in 2017.

Your a "special" case though aren't you? Most adolescents go through a left wing "right on" student phase.
You're still hanging on to your student lifestyle well into adulthood.

You're*

Perhaps you should have spent more time at night school.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like ol TesMay is really cocking this up. Seems to be lots of "she is screwing the old, she is stealing food from our childrens bellies" as well as the Orwellian slant.

Could get rather interesting actually.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Looks like ol TesMay is really cocking this up. Seems to be lots of "she is screwing the old, she is stealing food from our childrens bellies" as well as the Orwellian slant.

Could get rather interesting actually.

Kind of sounds a lot like Thatcher towards the end.

She felt herself in such an unassailable position she went and put all sorts of unpopular stuff in.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/webnrinpiso6bbj/may-puppet.jpg?raw=1

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for weak and erratic government. A nice squabbling coalition that's constantly changing policies will be great for business. Praying

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they fail, it is completely on them. They had it in the bag.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

There are still a lot of people that'll vote for her, not because they agree with her but because they want to back the winning horse.

Although on her 'tour' she's not really talking to anyone...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7160cvx93fnne6l/is-there-anybody-there.png?raw=1

Last edited by ScaredyCat on 22:36 - 21 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Sload wrote:

There are still a lot of people that'll vote for her, not because they agree with her but because they want to back the winning horse.

I think if there wasn't a brexit negotiation upcoming - the current leader and manifesto combo would be leading to a very close contest.

Not because I think labour and Corbyn are very good - just they are great at policies that are populist.

I'm still waiting for the "free magnums for everyone at 2pm on a Friday" policy to be announced by Labour - such is their policy making process.

Unfortunately, I think the fact we are still adding £50bn+/year onto our national debt is slowly slipping out of people's minds. The Tories would do no harm reminding the public of this fact, rather than the cringey and vacuous "Strong and Stable" mantra.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:

Unfortunately, I think the fact we are still adding £50bn+/year onto our national debt is slowly slipping out of people's minds. The Tories would do no harm reminding the public of this fact.

People don't want to be reminded that it's going to get worse. Some areas have already suffered from the cuts, many of those are already poor in services. Boris isn't helping either, he just claimed that the Tory manifesto promised to give the NHS £350m...

JonB wrote:

rather than the cringey and vacuous "Strong and Stable" mantra.

As soon as that started to become a mainstream piss take they should have stopped repeating it. Certainly didn't do the Tories any good continuing to use it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
As soon as that started to become a mainstream piss take they should have stopped repeating it. Certainly didn't do the Tories any good continuing to use it.

You think?

Every time you repeat it, even in jest, you reinforce the image. All those "Strong and stable my arse" posters going up? They're free marketing for the Tories.

It may be meaningless babble, but it's not a negative attribute. Are the other parties weak and erratic? Why won't they claim to deliver strong and stable government?

You can tell it's effective because of the "Ah hah, it's in Mein Kampf!" shrieking today. Once you're making Nazi comparisons, you've lost the argument and have nothing left to say.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Falco wrote:
Not really. Itchy is correct. This only works if markets operate in a purely free environment. The idea of this is as silly as the idea of pure communism.

So the problem is governments meddling with markets?

No, a market operating with no restrictions tend towards one giant company, price gouging because there is no alternative (for example, ISPs in Rural America). Governments

Ste wrote:
Falco wrote:
Markets are very good at optimizing businesses for short term gain (they can also be pretty good at focused R&D). They are useless for anything longer term and they generally are not self-correcting.

If their aims are only short term then that's what will be delivered to market and even then, it'll only work if people want what's on offer.

If they don't self correct then the product will crash and burn in way not unlike what has happened with rainpal.

Yes, and anything requiring long term focus will be ignored.

Self correction via crashing and burning won't work if a company becomes too big to fail....which they tend to do without restrictions.

Ste wrote:
If the demand for a drug (singular) rises then over time yes, the cost will fall but it would be naive short term thinking to expect such changes to happen quickly.

That is certainly the theory, but that only really works where demand is elastic or where consumers have a choice. This is not the case with medicines and companies have a bad habit of making it worse by using legislation to stamp out generic competitors or force their own to be bought (see the epi-pen Saga)

Ste wrote:
Falco wrote:
Markets can be a driving force for innovation, for getting people products and services at reasonable prices, but not if they are unfettered. At that point they descend into price gouging and end up cratering themselves.

Earlier it was markets "only works if markets operate in a purely free environment" but now markets are only a driving force for innovation if they're not unfettered? Eh?

That was my bad. I meant to discriminate between how markets work theoretically (ie totally free) and how they work in actuality (ie well for certain things only)

Itchy wrote:
A much better explanation of short term vs long term and government interventions than I managed

Perhaps I should just leave the heavy intellectual lifting to Itchy Razz

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

You think?

Every time you repeat it, even in jest, you reinforce the image. All those "Strong and stable my arse" posters going up? They're free marketing for the Tories.

It may be meaningless babble, but it's not a negative attribute. Are the other parties weak and erratic? Why won't they claim to deliver strong and stable government?

You can tell it's effective because of the "Ah hah, it's in Mein Kampf!" shrieking today. Once you're making Nazi comparisons, you've lost the argument and have nothing left to say.

Not sure tbh. May seems to be getting hammered based on her shitty record in the home office. I could do without the "weak and wobbly" though, it's not half as funny as reporters think it is.

I suppose it all hinges on whether the endless repeating of it gains a negative attribute all of its own. If most people remember it for being BS then it won't help, if they remember it and agree, then its all gravy for May and co. I think she is rolling the dice on it.

On a side note, May has screwed this royally. I expected to walk it, but a seemingly endless series of unforced errors means there appears to be some uncertainty over the size of her majority.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
May seems to be getting hammered based on her shitty record in the home office.

Good. She's an awful person and the worst kind of opportunistic, non-conviction politician.

The strong-and-stable is a gambit to frame the narrative and distract from discussion of the substantive issues. To that extent, it seems to be doing its job fairly well. Bear in mind that voters are thick (we voted to retain FPTP) and many won't read past the headline.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:02 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I be the first to suggest hung parliament?

This could be the biggest own goal in politics history. Snap election with massive polling majority - to fucking it all up in 8 weeks.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:

This could be the biggest own goal in politics history. Snap election with massive polling majority - to fucking it all up in 8 weeks.

Can I be the first to suggest deliberate fuckup?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said, a few days ago, that I was not convinced that any of the parties want to win and have to deal with the political bloodbath that will inevitably follow brexit!

Considering some of the batshit mental policies being proposed by one and all I'm still not convinced!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Wobbly Orange
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:18 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
JonB wrote:

Bigger than assuming the referendum was a sure thing for Remain and Cameron?

Not at all, the result was within the margin of error with regards to polls. It was admittedly at a fairly extreme edge of the margin but within nonetheless. Even if a similar margin played out next month the Tories will still gain a couple of dozen seats. Not the landslide expected, but an improvement.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:27 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Falco wrote:
May seems to be getting hammered based on her shitty record in the home office.

Good. She's an awful person and the worst kind of opportunistic, non-conviction politician.

The strong-and-stable is a gambit to frame the narrative and distract from discussion of the substantive issues. To that extent, it seems to be doing its job fairly well. Bear in mind that voters are thick (we voted to retain FPTP) and many won't read past the headline.

Yup, I expected more strong and stable U-turns today but obviously people are busy posturing and being sad about Manchester (6 days no electioneering I hear).

My problem is that I have no way to tell if that narrative *is* actually working. I heard that a lot of conservative storm troopers where hearing a lot of concern about the social care thing on the door steps. Unfortunately, the abject uselessness of Corbyn is masking the effects of these blunders.

Unless May starts disembowelling small children live on TV, she will still seem like a better leader to many.

Brick Wall Don't remind me about that AV referendum, its too damn depressing.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question... If Corbyn took Diane Abbott outside on national tv and had her publically executed for incredible levels of muppetry...

Could we vote for him then?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I said, a few days ago, that I was not convinced that any of the parties want to win and have to deal with the political bloodbath that will inevitably follow brexit!

Considering some of the batshit mental policies being proposed by one and all I'm still not convinced!

Actually an interesting tangent although I don't think I can buy into it. Mays U turny posturing clusterbombs smacks to me of a party that attempted significant overreach based on overconfidence from a false assumption of abject dominance.

Sun Wukong wrote:
Quick question... If Corbyn took Diane Abbott outside on national tv and had her publically executed for incredible levels of muppetry...

Could we vote for him then?

No, I would drop him into Gulag via helicopter. She may stand accused of being an incompetent and a vile bigot, my stance would still afford her protection as an individual under the laws.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 27 of 69