Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Redex diesel system cleaner.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Redex diesel system cleaner. Reply with quote

ASDA are doing 3 bottles for seven quid.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81nsFfcK1hL._SY550_.jpg

I have never been an additive person for fuels because I've never felt the need but seeing this cheap I bought it with the intention of putting a bottle in my narrow boat BMC diesel engine.

Wifie has a Megane turbo 1.5 and daughter has a C5 with a 1.5 (same engine?) in it so I have enough for those two cars as well.

I have no problem chucking any old shit in the BMC, it would take liquid grinding paste to fuck it up. 30 odd BHP from 1500 cc is hardly epic power output. Laughing

What about the turbo car engines though? Is it worth it or not? Has anyone with practical experience of using this stuff got any comments. At £7 for 3 bottle I'm not bothered if the consensus is don't be stupid, clean the toilet with it. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the diesel one, used the petrol version in the bike (taking into account the tank size) and it did nothing, except I'm fairly certain cause the bike to cut-out a couple of times whilst riding.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double dose my tank occasionally, it definitely runs smoother and more efficient after such dosage, i think something in it boosts slightly whatever is in diesel fuel, the equivalent of octane in petrol.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:07 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cetane rating. I doubt Redex does boost it otherwise it would be plastered all over the packaging.

I used to use Millers in my old diesel for maximum placebo effect. Far cheaper per tank than Redex and it claimed greater benefits.

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/images/pack-shots/diesel_power_ecomax.jpg

Alas, the trip computer and regular fuelly logs noticed no discernible increase in MPG. I'd save far more by starting my journey 2 minutes earlier and driving a bit slower.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get quite a few free from work, have put them in my mondeo tdci and it never seems to do anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right, millers is supposed to be better, maybe it's a placebo effect, maybe not, I've run diesels for many years and to me they seem to run better with a bottle in the tank running supermarket fuel.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel has cleaners in it from the refinery which probably do as much 'cleaning' as the Snake Oil Redex et al peddle.

Better driving style will save more fuel and cost nothing and probably be faster too as you do not have waste time buying and phaphing with pouring Potions into your tank. Smile

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school (indirect injection, non common rail engines pre 2000) actually run better on vegetable oil. It's a better lubricant for the fuel pumps and burns slower than diesel making the engine smoother and noticeably quieter. You can expect to lose about 5%-10% omppfhhh and a little MPG due to this however if you're processing WVO you're talking pennies a litre anywho Very Happy

Don't put un-processed vegtable oil, fresh or other wise near a modern diesel unless you like breaking fuel pumps and injectors tho Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I interest you in my Diesel Rekki additive?

It's an amazing new low input 100% environmentally safe product based on ancient Chinese medicinal practices.

In a recent trial, all users noticed a significant reduction in the available fuel spend.

Simply payal me £50 and you will notice the difference straight away.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's an amazing new low input 100% environmentally safe product based on ancient Chinese medicinal practices.

In a recent trial, all users noticed a significant reduction in the available fuel spend.

Simply payal me £50 and you will notice the difference straight away.

That's a no then Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the worst it can do is nothing, I'll stick it in the cars and the boat now I've bought it.

Cheers chaps. Thumbs Up

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Redex in petrol cars and bikes, and not noticed any smoother running or higher MPGs.

However, I did try Forte advanced formula (about £14 a bottle) in my old CB400 and it definitely worked wonders. I'm assuming this was because the bike was so old and hadn't had any longer runs for years. Who knows, in that specific bike the Redex might have been as good.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well, if the worst it can do is nothing, I'll stick it in the cars and the boat now I've bought it.

Cheers chaps. Thumbs Up

My bike cut-out twice, once I could smell the redex (as stupid as that sounds), had to pull over and start the bike again. The other time was in traffic where luckily I got the bike started again whilst still rolling, but it could have been dangerous. Also worth noting this was early and late on in the Redex cycle (I was adding a bit to each tank).

So not only is it shit IMO it's dangerous shit. Kept the receipt? Smile

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

used in my perkins deisel on boat and seemed to run smoother but maybe placebo
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO worth a shot on the run up to an MOT, especially with an older engine.
If it cleans the emissions by 0.05% and that makes the difference between a pass and a fail, then it's worth it.

As for power boosting.
I do occasionally use Millers power plus (Diesel) which is a cetane booster.
Not for any extra power, but because I've still got some to use and a side affect of using it is that it also improves emissions slightly.
On an older type knackered high mileage diesel I had, it dramatically reduced the fog that followed the car around...

PS, Are you sure the C5 is a 1.5 (rather than a 1.6).

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Simply paypal me £50 and you will notice the difference straight away.

I double dose myself with StinkWheel's Liniment occasionally, it definitely runs smoother and more efficient after such dosage, I think something in it boosts slightly whatever is in diesel fuel, the equivalent of octane in petrol.
I trust Stinkwheel's liniment because he's sources it directly from the bovine's orifice.

The improvements that I feel are _definitely_ not placebo, nor just because I spent actual money on it and I'm looking for justification.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

PS, Are you sure the C5 is a 1.5 (rather than a 1.6).

You are right, a 1.6.

ws4936
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have like 3 bottles of the diesel RedEx sitting in the garage. It's been there a while. Got a new Alhambra Christmas time and I've been tracking its mpg's religiously since zero on the clock, I may give this a go....curious to find out if results alter.

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use Millers Diesel Power in my old Mk 3 Mondeo TDCI which had fucked injectors. It certainly used to help that be smoother and quieter.

Didn't notice a power boost, but then those things tend to go like a stabbed rat anyway when the injectors start going because of the extra fuel that seeps in. Smokey as hell but quick!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that anything that can clean and maintain injectors is a good thing for performance and emissions.

But in an old high miles derv, I do wonder how much performance you could restore by cleaning out or blanking off EGR systems, and spraying water into the engine with something like an aquamist set up over say 1-2tanks of fuel to steam clean the combustion chambers and valves.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I get that anything that can clean and maintain injectors is a good thing for performance and emissions.

But in an old high miles derv, I do wonder how much performance you could restore by cleaning out or blanking off EGR systems, and spraying water into the engine with something like an aquamist set up over say 1-2tanks of fuel to steam clean the combustion chambers and valves.

Am a fan of the old red neck 'water injection' steam clean.
Is common on old indirect injection engines running veg long term to whip the inlet manifold off, increase the revs to around 2.5k and squirt away! Surprising how much water it can take in before it even effects the engine rpm (there are 2 cables on these engines, starter and fuel stop solenoid. Won't cause a problem unless you put a hose in there and bend a rod I suspect).

Obviously take it for a good blast afterwards.

Done it a few times and all kinds of muck comes out the first time but mostly just steam after that... certainly Helped with the 105k 306 I used to have. A bit smoother and picked up better.

I would err massively About trying this method on a common rail direct injection engine tho....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the water trick knocks off big flakes which lodge in between the ring and the piston and then score fcuk out of the bore?
Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed on ships where the marine diesels have water injection but that was a special system that injected on a cleaning cycle.

Also water injection into the turbocharger to clean the shit off the blades. The noise when that happens is worse than Freddy Kruger scraping his nails down a blackboard.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've sailed on ships where the marine diesels have water injection but that was a special system that injected on a cleaning cycle.

Also water injection into the turbocharger to clean the shit off the blades. The noise when that happens is worse than Freddy Kruger scraping his nails down a blackboard.

Yes water injection 'systems' are metered/controlled.

Avago Johnny who doesn't know what he is doing could make a problem worserer. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2