Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 stroke design/modification spreadsheets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Jaguar This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to optimise an old two stroke, but am still waiting for parts.

If you know your onions I do have one question I'd like to know the answer to though.

Say you have a tuned two stroke with a pipe that gives good top end power for say a band 2000rpm. Then what would be the best or most effective way to bolster up and improve the low-midrange power?

1, stuff like resonant chambers or water injection to fool the exhaust into working better at low Revs?

2, variable height exhaust port and thus compression ratios?

3, a custom mapped ignition to get the ideal timing at every speed range?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm trying to optimise an old two stroke, but am still waiting for parts.

If you know your onions I do have one question I'd like to know the answer to though.

Say you have a tuned two stroke with a pipe that gives good top end power for say a band 2000rpm. Then what would be the best or most effective way to bolster up and improve the low-midrange power?

1, stuff like resonant chambers or water injection to fool the exhaust into working better at low Revs?

2, variable height exhaust port and thus compression ratios?

3, a custom mapped ignition to get the ideal timing at every speed range?

Pass the popcorn
Jaguar This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply on the questions I had its appreciated.

I've had a look at your exhaust design software and I might be interested in having my existing pipe analysed for its effectiveness, as well as having a pipe designed for a larger 200cc cylinder with some tuning work.

My existing pipe runs ok, but the peak power is delivered about 1000rpm lower than std if you believe the dyno readings that is. Its also got a two stage baffle cone, which I had previously always thought to be a crap idea, as I thought it would weaken the return wave as opposed to a single taper of the angle chosen for the way you way you want it to work. Im just a noob that's read a few books and messed about with engines, but I have no experience of design or pipe simulation etc.

What you said about water injection sounds very logical too, so basically when your say 2000rpm or more below the power band it'll do nothing, but by switching it on and then off quickly at the right upper and lower rpm, you could what maybe make the engine climb onto the pipe say 3-400rpm earlier?

I need to accurately measure and check my squish clearance and compression ratio, but I need to do an all std back to back run with my new exhaust first to get a fair comparison. There's alot of messing about to be had and things to set up I expect, and I'll be letting the dyno tuner do this on this bike.

Would you be able with software be able to simulate the effects of an exhaust resonant chamber and also work out its optimum sizing too?

I ask as I wondered if say a new pipe was going to make the top end power better, could you get more midrange with a larger resonant chamber fitted? My KMX KIPS chamber including the space in the cylinder adds up to about 80cc. By fitting a KMX 200 resonant chamber it would take it to at least 140-150cc I guess. I'd like to try it on the dyno to see what the effect is and also if it screws up the fueling massively or not?

I noticed on my A/F trace that when the powervalve opens there is a big dip in the fueling trace, so I expect changes to the power valve or resonant chamber size to need some re-jetting?

Lastly is having a programmable ignition a bit like improving the reed valve flow or fitting a V-force reedblock, in that the gains you can see are across the whole rev range normally?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1