Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia SX 125 (Rotax 122) Gearbox Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Miless
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Aprilia SX 125 (Rotax 122) Gearbox Issues Reply with quote

Hey, I am having the weirdest issue with my gearbox. So, I rebuilt my engine during winter, and I got it all back together and running about two months ago. Everything has been running PERFECTLY up until now. This all happened overnight, but basically, the morning this happened I was riding to school and I realized that I was not able to shift into third. First and second gear both engaged perfectly fine, but it just wouldn't switch into third. The lever was budging, but it wasn't clicking. It was just kind of going up but not engaging the gear. After some experimenting, I managed to get into third but only when driving at around 20kph (very slowly), but it was practically impossible to get into fourth gear. After some further investigation, I managed to bump start the bike into fourth gear, and it ran perfectly fine. I could switch into fifth and sixth without any problems, and the gears ran just as smoothly as they usually do, however, when I shifted down to second gear again the same issue arised where I was unable to progress into third gear again. The weirdest thing is that as I mentioned, this happened overnight. The night before when I drove home from my girlfriend's house the bike was running perfectly fine.

I have tried changing the gearbox oil, but I really cannot come up with any logical explanation as to why this is happening. I am not very keen on ripping the engine apart again, so any help is greatly appreciated so that I at least know where to look. Thanks for your time!

Miles

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:49 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the gear lever nut/bolt need tightning on the gear box shaft. linkage

Miless
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:00 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
does the gear lever nut/bolt need tightning on the gear box shaft. linkage

If you mean the actual gear lever itself, it is tightened and as far as I could see, the actual shaft is rotating as the lever is pushed, which is the weird part.

Miless
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if bumping posts is against the rules, if it is, I am sorry, but... bump... I really have no clue what to do here.

Miless
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:59 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!!: Took the clutch cover off and rebuilt the basics and put the cover back on, now different gears are acting up. Third gear is now easily accessible... Anyways nothing is really solved, BUT, I did find a clue. The gear lever shaft has play in it, and I am able to wiggle it out and in maybe a centimeter or so when the clutch cover is ON. I am 99% sure that it is not supposed to that way. Can someone confirm this and what could possibly be the cause of it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1