Archery - whats the craic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent facebook message, got this reply

"Thank you for getting in touch, sorry we can't reply right away but we out on the field shooting! We will respond to your message as soon as we can.
Regards.
Mossley Hill Archery Club"

baring in mind that was Tuesday last week, it must be a hell of a archery session, or they are all ded

- no answer on phone number.

I think this means i could just get my bow out willy nilly an shoot as i please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should take this up; currently using archery move as part of shoulder physio routine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0Al1 wrote:
I should take this up; currently using archery move as part of shoulder physio routine.

The worst shoulder injury I ever sustained was from archery. I can still feel where the infraspinatus muscle tore 20 years later.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
sent facebook message
or they are all ded
- no answer on phone number.

Imagine your granny, dipping her bifocals to look for the right button to press on the TV remote.
Now imagine every single interaction with technology is handled the same way.
Now, imagine your granny is an archer. (apologies if she's ded, but to be honest, my argument still stands up)
They're working on it.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a little follow up to my post, seems someone broke in to the shop I was talking about (not a lot to the article though):
https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/15300692.Bows__swords_and_a_double_headed_Viking_axe_stolen_from_archery_store/

So, which one of you was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:07 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFA wrote:
a double-headed Viking axe

I can absolutely, categorically guarantee you that it wasn't me.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently taken up archery (3 to 4 months)
It's great fun but can feel a little daunting sometimes with all the technical elements you have to learn. Great group of people always happy to help out Newbies. Once you've got basic form and consistency it's really rewarding . Can't wait to get my own kit Very Happy
There will be loads of beginner sessions Coming up in the summer if you're interested.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:45 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
It's great fun but can feel a little daunting sometimes with all the technical elements you have to learn.

It's two sticks and a string. You only need to take it as seriously as you want to.

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I left my last archery club over an argument which consisted of them insisting I bought and wore an arm bracer and finger tab (something I hadn't done for my previous 4 or 5 years of shooting) or I wouldn't be allowed on the range and me telling them to go fuck themselves.

WTF?? I don't think I've ever even hit my forearm so why would I need a bracer? As for the tab/gloves...do archery long enough you don't need them either as your skin is tough as nails lol

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

little update

My dad has bought a bow, this one but from a local sports place

Both had a quick go, it seems ok way more powerful than than the bows we used in centreparcs (they were only 25lb'ers)

The bloke in the shop where we bought it was trying to get me to buy a compound bow, as he reckons they are better to fire at targets etc?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
The bloke in the shop where we bought it was trying to get me to buy a compound bow, as he reckons they are better to fire at targets etc?

They aren't particularly, but they are more expensive, and require the use of a bow press (which I have no doubt the shop will happily charge you for the use of) to restring the bow and set different arm poundages.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:33 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: pointy bits Reply with quote

I say you might be bored with an archery club depending on what you want out of it.

I purchased a cheap Chinese bow with the idea of having a bit of fun while out wild camping (and most certainly not shooting things to eat because that would be poaching and of course I'd never do that, I promise, really, trust me. I swear that pheasant flung himself onto my arrow officer) and I love it. But take it to a local archery club and they laugh you out of the room because it didn't cost a lot of money and I don't have arm protectors and finger doodads or use a fancy weighted bow sight and I quite like making my own arrows instead of paying way over the odds for overpriced, mass produced twigs of shit

My bow is about 50lbs draw and you could definitely hunt deer and zombies with it, so if you just wanted some fun shooting at stuff then I'd go for something more like a 20-30lb bow as it's easier to shoot all day long for fun. I'm getting a lighter bow for exactly that purpose. The 50lb bow takes a bit of pulling to operate and it gets tiring pretty fast. And anyway if you're only shooting at target things out and about then you don't really need to permanently bury a broadhead four inches into a tree just to have fun.

Lots of fun can be had using those rubber plonker arrow tips (can't remember what they're called) that some reenactors and LARP use. I've got a handful of arrows with them on, great fun.They're basically blunt hard rubber weighted arrow tips that although they can pack an almighty wallop they don't stick into things and probably wouldn't get you arrested when you're out plinking.

Definitely don't be conned into buying the most expensive kit out there unless that's what you want to do later. What it costs bears very little relation to how accurate you'll be or how much fun you'll have. I went for a take down recurve initially because you can take it apart and transport it in a small carry case on the bike but there's loads of other types to go for. I personally don't like overly complicated ones so I don't really go in for fancy pants compound bows, but there's affordable bows in every design so no need to spend a fortune.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:09 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: pointy bits Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
that would be poaching

It's not even that, it's a specific offence under WACA 1981.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/section/11

Ostensibly there was a rash of deer poaching with crossbows in the late 70's and the toffs didn't like it. Very Robin Hood stuff. Now, we've got a groaning over-population of deer and no ideer what to do about it.

lingeringstink wrote:
Lots of fun can be had using those rubber plonker arrow tips (can't remember what they're called) that some reenactors and LARP use.

Trivia, they were initially developed for hunting small birds that you didn't particularly want to cut in half with a broadhead.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: pointy bits Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
lingeringstink wrote:
Lots of fun can be had using those rubber plonker arrow tips (can't remember what they're called) that some reenactors and LARP use.

Trivia, they were initially developed for hunting small birds that you didn't particularly want to cut in half with a broadhead.

Also has the added bonus of not needing to clean LARPers off your broadheads.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LARPers (UK variety at least) won't have anything to do with instal-kill lethal weapons like rubber blunts.

Try not to laugh...

https://www.larpinn.co.uk/images/idv-blackred-arrow1.jpg

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't that fly all over the show?

what they hell are these badboys for?

hunting dinosaurs?

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mudcow007/rexpid-nuri-broadhead_zpsp95apsmj.jpg

the place i contacted on facebook have just replied an said that i need to complete a beginners course before im allowed to shoot my load (of arrows) at their joint.

I just wanna shoot at some stuff man

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do archery before I moved here – brought my bow with me and everything. My housemate, of course, lost the string and as it was a gift I have no flipping idea how to replace it (aside online; I don't know the weight or length needed).

I've not been since – until yesterday. Ensue missing the target completely on the second and third shots, and taking until about the.. 12th to get anywhere near the middle – at 30 yards.

Well out of practice... Forgot how much fun it is. Intend to try and replace my string and start shooting at a friend's place. Hurrah for large gardens! Very Happy

PS ~ I have a brace (too big) so I don't wear it. I have the finger gloves (too big) so don't wear those [again, both gifts]. If you're shooting correctly and you don't have some weird elbow then you're not likely to (often) hit your arm. I'd still use one, because when the string hits it bruises me like a peach! As the brace doesn't work, I tend to just wear long sleeves instead. You don't need to spend a load of cash to enjoy the sport, anyway.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bow is it?

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
What bow is it?

I believe it to be a take-down recurve..

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
lihp wrote:
What bow is it?

The weight and length should be written on one of the limbs (possibly lower)

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
lihp wrote:
What bow is it?

It will either be 66 68 or 70"

If you don't know which. It will most likely be 68" as this is the "norm"

Go on bowsports or merlin archer site and buy a bow string for a 68" bow.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:48 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy

I contacted a club locally a few years back about joining them, as I wanted somewhere to use the bow. If they require more kit to be bought than what I already own I'll be massively annoyed.

Besides... I intend to make my own leather bracer. It takes time..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
I intend to make my own leather bracer. It takes time..

Cut, cut, cut, punch, punch, punch, thongggggg.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tigerlea wrote:
I intend to make my own leather bracer. It takes time..

Cut, cut, cut, punch, punch, punch, thongggggg.

You missed "sketch, design, impress, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer––f*ck this sh*t I'm buying a ready-made one" Laughing

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked into a beginners course on Monday night in St Helens.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3