Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YZF-R125 or Scooter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:22 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: YZF-R125 or Scooter? Reply with quote

Hi,

I crashed my car, a Seat Ibiza FRn 2 years ago.

Now I xant to buy a 125cc.

I first tought about buying a scooter.

First of all I never owned a motorcycle, only 50cc scooters.

and a scooter looks safer to me, especially the Yamaha tricity and especially to pass through traffic jam?

But one thing is that the Yamaha YZF-R125 is so good looking while a scooter is not really beautiful.

What would be your advice fellows?

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:06 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what scares me a bit is that a sportive motorcycle doesn't turn as well as a scooter, might be annoying in traffic.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an instructors point of view, what is your end game?

1. Do you want a bike until you get a car back on the road?
2.Do you want to gain your full motorcycle licence in the near future and perhaps then onto a bigger bike?
3. Do you intend to keep said 125 or scooter for a few years for commuting?

If you answer "yes" to 1 and 2 then the bike is a means to an end so I would suggest a cheap and cheerful bike you can sell easy enough later on and be back on the car or onto a bigger bike.

If its 3 then by all means get what you like. You'll be keeping it for a while so may as well. I Would go for a 125 over a scooter every day of the week as they have that little but more road presence, They can do the speeds required, Or if you want the ease of no gears, a 125cc scooter will also be a practical choice.

If you have never ridden before you are more likely to drop a bike, Motorcycle plastic fairings are the most expensive plastic you are ever likely to pay for and a YZF125, while it is a pretty bike, it is nothing more than a YBR 125 in a skirt. You do not get better performance, You do get a crouched up riding position, a wide turning circle and an expensive to drop fast depreciating bike.

If you have never ridden before I would suggest doing a CBT before you even bought a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:57 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tritey thread until proven otherwise.

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:17 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tritey thread until proven otherwise.

What do you mean?

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:22 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
From an instructors point of view, what is your end game?

1. Do you want a bike until you get a car back on the road?
2.Do you want to gain your full motorcycle licence in the near future and perhaps then onto a bigger bike?
3. Do you intend to keep said 125 or scooter for a few years for commuting?

If you answer "yes" to 1 and 2 then the bike is a means to an end so I would suggest a cheap and cheerful bike you can sell easy enough later on and be back on the car or onto a bigger bike.

If its 3 then by all means get what you like. You'll be keeping it for a while so may as well. I Would go for a 125 over a scooter every day of the week as they have that little but more road presence, They can do the speeds required, Or if you want the ease of no gears, a 125cc scooter will also be a practical choice.

If you have never ridden before you are more likely to drop a bike, Motorcycle plastic fairings are the most expensive plastic you are ever likely to pay for and a YZF125, while it is a pretty bike, it is nothing more than a YBR 125 in a skirt. You do not get better performance, You do get a crouched up riding position, a wide turning circle and an expensive to drop fast depreciating bike.

If you have never ridden before I would suggest doing a CBT before you even bought a bike.

Well I have no idea for the moment if I will ride the 125 for a few years or not. I have driven a 50cc for a while so I have never driven a 125cc or even shifted gears but does that mean I will almost for sure drop the bike? sounds scary to me.

To be honest everything leads me to a scooter (the technical aspects I mean) except for the looks but looks matter a lot to me because the YZF-R125 doesn't look like a 125cc at all.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your CBT on a 125 bike, and then decide. You will have a better idea of how you get on with it then!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:
YZF-R125 doesn't look like a 125cc at all.

Not to you, maybe - and perhaps that's all that matters - but everybody else over the age of 14 will look at you and laugh.

Diskotekno
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:04 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:

To be honest everything leads me to a scooter (the technical aspects I mean) except for the looks but looks matter a lot to me because the YZF-R125 doesn't look like a 125cc at all.

...Don't worry it'll look like an 125cc once you put the L plates on.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:
does that mean I will almost for sure drop the bike? sounds scary to me.

'Drop' means the bike will fall over.
At traffic lights or when you're pushing it around.
It can also mean when you are riding very slowly, maybe manoeuvring the bike.
It's not scary but it is annoying and sometimes embarrassing.

When it happens at speed then it's an accident not a 'drop'.

What do you intend to do with a bike/scooter?
Is it only for commuting?
Is your commute only in a city?

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:01 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha YBR125

Doesn't try to be something its not, simple to fix and a hoot to ride for a first bike. I had a right blast on mine, even when I did slide off it once nothing was damaged on it except a small tear to the rubber foot rest, which I didn't even replace.

If I had to have a 125 for inner-city commuting, or just a short commute, I'd have a YBR again (OR something like a Honda CG125 which is similar).

The YBR had a great turning circle and was easy to move about, the YZF-R125 has a sportsbike's turning circle (AKA utter shite) and just won't be practical or comfortable. The YZF-R125 is the chavved up Corsa with a huge exhaust of the motorcycle world. As someone else has said, you won't look 'cool' to anyone who knows a slight thing about motorbikes, the wafer thin tyre and single front brake are a huge give away for a start. You are not riding an R1/R6.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:15 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/hhbT9zf.png

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Pebblesss wrote:
does that mean I will almost for sure drop the bike? sounds scary to me.

'Drop' means the bike will fall over.
At traffic lights or when you're pushing it around.
It can also mean when you are riding very slowly, maybe manoeuvring the bike.
It's not scary but it is annoying and sometimes embarrassing.

When it happens at speed then it's an accident not a 'drop'.

What do you intend to do with a bike/scooter?
Is it only for commuting?
Is your commute only in a city?

I will take a bit of highway and mainly drive in Brussels (I'm from Belgium), thanks for the clarification about the 'drop'.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:
I will take a bit of highway and mainly drive in Brussels (I'm from Belgium), thanks for the clarification about the 'drop'.

I haven't been to Brussels for 20 years but from memory the main roads are wide with many large motorways around the city, so IMO a 125 Bike would probably be better than a 125 scooter.
But I'd recommend you look into passing your test for a bike bigger than 125cc, as they aren't great for longer than a few kilometres on the motorway...
Find a local bike training school and discuss it with them.

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Pebblesss wrote:
YZF-R125 doesn't look like a 125cc at all.

Not to you, maybe - and perhaps that's all that matters - but everybody else over the age of 14 will look at you and laugh.

Well I'm just saying what I read, I don't know why people would laugh at me riding a 125 though.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:53 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:

Well I'm just saying what I read, I don't know why people would laugh at me riding a 125 though.

Because it's a 125 that wishes it was a bigger bike

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebblesss wrote:

Not at you riding a 125. That's fine. They'd be laughing at you riding a ridiculously overpriced 125 with pretensions! Very Happy

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:52 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me in your situation it would be the scooter. If you just want something to do the commute on you can't beat it. No gears, easy to manoeuvre, designed basically for one thing - the commute. A decent 125 will hit 65 - 70mph. I had a Honda PCX, but it'll come down to taste etc.

I don't think it particularly matters about getting a geared 125 if you are thinking of getting into biking proper at some point. I rode around for 2.5 years on a scooter and then did my full license in 4 days having never used a geared bike before. Ok, maybe if you take a while to learn things it might be worth getting a geared 125, but clutch control really isn't that hard - well it wasn't in my case anyway.

As for the sports 125 range. No issue with them as bikes - they seem reliable, will get you about etc etc. The big issues are threefold:

1) They are flipping expensive for what you get.
2) Cagers won't care for your sports bike and everyone else on a big bike will be secretly laughing at you with your moto gp inspired colour scheme. Bonus points if you put an Akrapovic exhaust and new air filter on it to really accentuate the angry lawnmower sound.
3) Pikey magnet - it'll get stolen within days, maybe weeks if you are lucky, though that depends on your area I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:12 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha YBR 125!

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R125 is a mega fun first bike. I'd only really recommend it if you want to progress onto sports bikes later down the line. It's actually more of an aggressive seating position than people give it credit for, and that's coming from a guy who rides an R6 now.

It looks sick to people who don't know a thing about motorcycles (which is a lot of people, actually) - but you'll always accidentally look hilarious to everyone any time you're riding it because of a combination of how it looks and the sound it makes in comparison to how not fast it goes.

You'll also get cars wanting to take the piss because "look at this idiot, he thinks his bike is fast, I'll show him in my vauxhall corsa!", but this might've only been because I live in London.

From the perspective of people who have owned anything over 125cc or just someone who pays attention to bigger bikes/the biking scene in general, you'll be poked fun of, especially if you have an aftermarket can and full leathers like I did.

I used to think I was the shit when I had the R125 not gonna lie, even though I knew everyone thought I was a twat. No fucks given.

But yeah if you aren't really going to keep it or progress onto a sportsbike, and it's a go-between for the car, then get a scooter.

Also the R125 is fine for commuting. Unless you are in a mega rush there's no difference between an R125 and a scooter in heavy traffic as they're both thin enough to fit through most gaps. The only difference is turning circle, where a scooter will beat the R125 but again, you're saving a few seconds at best, maybe one red light? I used to deliver pizzas on scooters, and commute to uni by R125, both were the same shit, scooter was more boring and didn't have gears and looked crappy and was generally sleepworthy except being able to scrape off the footpegs on roundabouts because of the terrible ground clearance, that was the only difference.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A which 125 thread? Standard BCF operating procedure dictates a good Teffing in 3...2....1..

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:04 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
The R125 is a mega fun first bike. I'd only really recommend it if you want to progress onto sports bikes later down the line. It's actually more of an aggressive seating position than people give it credit for, and that's coming from a guy who rides an R6 now.

Well to be honest, I also think it's not a shame to have that kind of bike.

Okay so I'm allready 31 and not 20 but so be it...

It might take a while before I'll be able to buy a new car again so I might keep the bike for a long time (so sad that here in Belgium it rains all the time time, not ideal for biking).

So there are 2 ways that I see it.

Pro: The tricity looks way safer and I guess it is, it will make me win a bit more time and the turning angle is probably great.
Con: The tricity is just very ugly and so are most scooters Sad.

Pro: The Yzf R-125 looks awesome IMO
Con: It's probably less safe especially in the rain and the turning angle isn't great (but maybe it adds more stability?

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:43 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diskotekno wrote:
Pebblesss wrote:

...Don't worry it'll look like an 125cc once you put the L plates on.

I'm not in the UK, we don't have those L plates on it (as far as I know).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:44 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you look into licensing.
Brussels wrote:
To obtain a category A1, A2 or A driving licence, you:

must sign up with an approved driving school for at least 9 hours of practical training.
must pass a theory exam and a practical test organised by GOCA

Why would you get A1 and limit yourself to a 125, instead of full A?

Pebblesss
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd suggest that you look into licensing.
Brussels wrote:
To obtain a category A1, A2 or A driving licence, you:

must sign up with an approved driving school for at least 9 hours of practical training.
must pass a theory exam and a practical test organised by GOCA

Why would you get A1 and limit yourself to a 125, instead of full A?

Well there are a couple reasons:
1- The necessity, since I don't have a car I'm pretty much isolated and it makes me crazy and can't really wait that long anymore.
2- It would be my first bike, I never switched gears on a motorcycle before so starting with a 125 would seem like a good idea.
3- The price since of the courses since that would mean I would have to spend a whole amount of bucks on top (and buying an old motorcycle to learn isn't an option since I don't know anything about mechanics and I would have to go to a dealer/stealer everytime there would be a problem with my bike).

I have allready bought 2 second hand scooters in my life and always been screwed, so I will for sure go for new.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2