Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Things exploding in the top-box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Things exploding in the top-box Reply with quote

Came back from the supermarket this afternoon, via a bit of a detour to enjoy the country-side, only to find that the bottle of beer and pot of yogurt I had in my top-box exploded.

I don't mean, the container / bottle shattered, I mean most of the content - beer / yogurt leaked out under the bottle cap / foil lid respectively. What was left in the bottle of beer looked all bubbled up, like you'd expect it to if it had received a vigorous shaking (and I'd imagine the pressure in there must have been immense to do what it did).

As well as the top-box, the stuff was in a bag with other groceries, so the clean-up job was ... well let's say time consuming to be polite Very Happy

Has anybody else had this? Is there any way I can "shock proof" my top box (would that even help?)? I can cope with the loss of the yogurt, but the beer is obviously tragic!

tl;dr: My bike killed my beer!

Last edited by Marclev on 20:56 - 21 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:33 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to prevent beer bottles from exploding is to drink the beer they contain. Thumbs Up

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it happen when I was using the k100 and ER5 a towel sorted both of them at the bottom of the box.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:44 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride slower.

Or start drinking wine instead. Consider putting a lump of foam in the topbox to dampen vibrations and strapping stuff down to stop it rolling about.

Cans can be bad for it too, some worse than others. I once had only half a slab of magners survive the journey to a rally unburst. Luckily I've learned by now that beer/cider goes in its own bag on the bike.

The Enfield once rather effectively made butter when I bought some non-homogenised milk in Wales then rode over the Llanberis pass.

I just carry still drinks on the bike now unless I'm travelling a very short distance.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me with a pint of milk once, years ago, back in the days when topboxes were always 'permanently' fitted and weren't readily removable for cleaning, and they were made of fibreglass, so the insides were always rather rough, slightly dusty; and again, hard to clean.

Reason I remember it is that the bloody box stank to high heaven until I got rid of the bike (which wasn't because of the minging topbox, I hasten to add)

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 5 litre tin of paint pop open once. That was messy.

Also had fish and chips assplode everywhere.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Noob. Everyone knows you hot-jacket a fish supper.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:32 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:

Noob. Everyone knows you hot-jacket a fish supper.

hot jacketed a chinese once fecking bike packed up thumbed a lift home and felt the sauce from my chop suey spreading over the car seat jumped out and legged it leaving a pool of sauce on the seat Smile :
cool story Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot jacketed ever since. Doesn't stop the curry sauce from detonating in there though, pff.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the main reason I use a back pack in the top box. Bottles/Cans/milk do not go in topbox loose unless box is full with a good ratio of soft protectives to put around. I do not ride slower.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to put a bit of foam in the bottom of mine, it reduces the volume a bit but it's very effective at shock absorbing. It also has quite a sticky finish so things don't tend to slide around. You can even cut bottle-shaped recesses in it if you have the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Pesto and beer explode in mine.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:53 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very often shop for 'er indoors to avoid getting the car out just to go a few miles up the road. (such trips not good for DPFs on diesels)
Never had any problems with groceries exploding. Bear in mind that there are lots of bumps, speed humps, potholes etc in our village, also - my bike, not equipped with a nice engine-smoothing balance shaft, vibrates a bit lol. The accompanying pic shows it loaded up for last year's Three Wheels Better sidecar rally at Milton Common Oxfordshire; the tank bag contains 8 cans of Stella and some ice packs. All arrived intact.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the top box on, I just had an old oily towel in there. Wrapped it around my supplies to stop it rockin' and'a rollin' all over the shop.

Never had a 'splosion.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had yogurt and beer explode in mine a few times also forgot I had a dozen eggs in there one day and took the scenic route back from the shop Embarassed that made a mess.

I just unclip the top box and give it a rinse out with the garden hose Thumbs Up

The diy tool/top box on my 125 had foam in the bottom to try and help, it didn't and I never could get the smell of Hobgoblin out of it.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:30 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: splodey Reply with quote

When I was a courier there was always the yearly wine and bubbly bottle sent out to special clients at Christmas. Some couriers inevitably had bottle breakages while transporting multiple bottles. I once exploded a rather important Champaign bottle for a special client in mine so I popped into an offie around the corner and replaced it with something cheap and horrible without telling the company I worked for.

I once put a red wine bottle safely inside my rolled up sleeping bag on the bike and by the time I got to the rally it had somehow broke anyway.

Recently I lost an entire gallon jug of diesel in my top box by rough riding over railroad tracks on my hardtail. The jug went over and the lid came off and I didn't know it until I got home and saw the trail of drips down the street behind me. I've got drain holes in the corners of my top box and the entire contents were gone by the time I got back.

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it happen with a Keema vindaloo plastered all over the inside of the top box. The cans of beer were ok, and it had been a long hard afternoon shift. So with no food in the flat anyway, I resorted to scraping it all back into the tub. Still tasted lovely, if a little gritty.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top boxes are effectively at the far end of a lever, whatever motion you feel in the seat will be multiplied further out. A tank bag is a safer option, if it's an option, or a backpack - with legs helping for suspension when you can see the bumps on the road.

On a scooter, the footwell with its bag hook is a much more reliable spot for fragiles than top box. Under the seat is OK for things that aren't temperature sensitive, but the footwell is a bit better.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:21 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is useless without pics!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1