Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Croatia, Hvar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave500
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:28 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Croatia, Hvar Reply with quote

Going for a lads holiday over to Split in Croatia then going over to Hvar in a few weeks and just wondered if anyone had been to either or had any tips?
Cheers

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:57 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm no tips for a boys trip really I went with the wife... we did Split then up to Plitvice Lakes National Park which was awesome for pictures, stayed there one night then back to spilt and on to the ferry to Havr. We stayed two nights then got the ferry over to Lastovo where we stayed with friends. After that we went to Korčula and then a few days in Dubrovnik before flying back.

I really liked Croatia and Havr had a pretty good party atmosphere, the Hula Hula beach bar is a pretty cool place to watch the sun go down while grabbing some pre club cocktails.

Dave500
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
mmm no tips for a boys trip really I went with the wife... we did Split then up to Plitvice Lakes National Park which was awesome for pictures, stayed there one night then back to spilt and on to the ferry to Havr. We stayed two nights then got the ferry over to Lastovo where we stayed with friends. After that we went to Korčula and then a few days in Dubrovnik before flying back.

I really liked Croatia and Havr had a pretty good party atmosphere, the Hula Hula beach bar is a pretty cool place to watch the sun go down while grabbing some pre club cocktails.
Nice one, I've heard good things about the hula hula bar Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go eat here. Konoba Lambik We liked it so much we drove back the next night for more.
One of the honest to goodness best places I have ever eaten in the world. Chef goes to the garden and picks the herbs then puts them in your food

We ordered the steak on the second occasion. It's friggin massive, like something from the flintstones. Fed me and the wife.
It's a very small place, easily missed and a party of 20 would fill the place inside but there's plenty of outdoor seating
we sat under blankets in the lemon grove the second time as they had a party of german cyclists in and the place was busy.
Great welcome, great food and plenty of it. I said I would pass on the recommendation if I ever heard of anyone going to visit.
I even kept his business card, it's on my fridge. I hope to return. There's also a place very near where we stayed called
Mr and Mrs Jones
also well worth a visit. We ate there a few times as it was walking distance from our air bnb apartment.
They gave us free drinks on our last night and some home made lemon curd to bring home with us. Lovely people
there too. It's hard to explain but they have a way of making you feel like a personal guest and not just a bum on a seat.

Generally we were surprised at the high quality of the food in Hvar and oddly the importance still given to the family unit.
Which if you happen to be there on a Sunday you will witness in spades as they are a very church-centric people.
Sunday being the day to see and be seen. The people remind me of Italians in some ways. They seem heavily
influneced by Italian chic and cafe culture and you're never far away from somewhere that sells oodles of different
flavours of authentic gelato. I'm definitely keen to return. Your money went a long way there too although as always,
do watch out for the taxi drivers. Our host arranged a car for us so we never had to worry about that.
You'll see some properly decrepid old yugos, renaults and citroens still going strong, it's kind of like they are in a transitional
phase where old things and new are trying to find a place alongside one another.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Split twice. Once with the "boys" as part of our Euro trip. Once with the missus.

There are pub crawls you can do, we did. DO NOT CLIMB INTO THE FOUNTAIN. You'll get kicked out of the group ....

As for what to see, there's nice beach to have a stroll down, the sea was warm in August, not sure what it'll be now but it won't be Blackpool.
Then there's the old part, you can get yourself underground to see some histories and seeing some architecture (n' that) outside. All white stone (dunno if marble floor). It gets bloody 'ot in direct sunshine.
Missus and I enjoyed squid pasta and laughed at our awfully black teeth.

I love Croatia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1