Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A bit of a predicament

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:10 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: A bit of a predicament Reply with quote

So, I'm quite happily rocking around on a clean and tidy 58 plate Blade with 25k on the clock.

However, whilst having tyres changed for the MOT at my local yamaha place (that my mate is a mechanic at), I took out anew MT10 for a while to kill some time.

Long story short, got offered a blinding part ex on my Blade...and a finance deal that would work out at £45 a month with the blade PX as deposit.

I've always had naked bikes until the blade (bandit 600, Fazer 1000, BMW K1200R, Kwak Z1000), and my main riding is commuting, which to be fair the Blade handles respectably aside from the usual slightly achy wrists.

The idea of a band new bike is very appealing, and the MT10 is certainly no slouch in term of performance, jsut a different delivery to the Blade - not making it any better or worse, just different. It's rare i get opportunity to tear the arse out of the Blade, and I don't do track days or anything.

I'm a real stickler for having my car/bikes perfect condition, so obviously buying second hand never really hits the mark for me, and i spend ages trying to sort out the bits previous owners have neglected or bodged - hence the proposition of a new bike is quite appealing in that respect.

So, I'm kind of stuck pondering what to do, so thought I'd get some peoples opinions on the MT10 and indeed my Blade whilst we're at it - as I can't make up my mind what to do.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 9 year old blade and £45/month so total payments £2.7k if taken over 5 years, less if shorter? I'm guessing that the actual deal is PCP with a large-ish final payment, which makes this less appealing than it appears at first glance (unless you got an absolutely stonking trade-in valuation well above market value).

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:24 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
A 9 year old blade and £45/month so total payments £2.7k if taken over 5 years, less if shorter? I'm guessing that the actual deal is PCP with a large-ish final payment, which makes this less appealing than it appears at first glance (unless you got an absolutely stonking trade-in valuation well above market value).

Yeah thats right, there's a final payment after the 2 year term - however, Yamaha guarantee theyll give you that value provided the bike isn't fucked when you hand it back, so that can then be used as a deposit on a new one.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£45 per month for how many years?
is it one of those shocking pcp deals where you have to pay for the bike again after 3 years?
if its a pcp deal what is the milage penalty?
as for the mt10 nearly all reviews are complimentary.
although the standard pads from yamaha make the brakes feel wooden(they still work well)
probably going to be better at everything as a road bike.
looks are a bit odd.
crossplane engine sounds and works well.
downside ,its not a tuono.
upside, its not a tuono.

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:

downside ,its not a tuono.
upside, its not a tuono.

quite! Laughing
I've done about 5.5k on the blade since I bought it last year, so worked out PC on 6k. It's pennies per mile if you go over, so not really a concern to be honest, and if for some reason I start really piling the miles on (unlikely though tbh, as I have my car and the missus that I share long drives over, so as to give all a good run every no and then, I can adjust it mid term.

Last edited by FirebladeRuss on 23:30 - 27 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of that generation blade far more than most of its rivals. In fact the R1's, GSXR's and comedy ZX10R's look bloody ugly in comparison IMO.

What colour scheme is your blade in? If it was something special like the TT legends colours, and it's still very tidy and enjoyable to ride I'd keep it 100%. Why get rid of a good, clean capable bike that's a few years old if it's still a fucking nice ride and excites or thrills you to ride?

What do you think about the MT10 apart from it being a brand new bike is better about it than your blade? The Blade will be faster, have more bhp, and has probably got better more adjustable suspension, as well as much better build quality, judging the MT10 by the standards of the smaller MT series bikes. Its also bloody ugly in an Alien way, just like most modern nakeds are. Im not sure it's any more ugly than a Z1000 or H2R, but that's not saying much either.

What needs doing to your blade to make it truly mint and spotlessly clean if that's what matters to you, and how much will it cost to get it there?

That would be my biggest deciding factor of all I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I like the look of that generation blade far more than most of its rivals. In fact the R1's, GSXR's and comedy ZX10R's look bloody ugly in comparison IMO.

What colour scheme is your blade in? If it was something special like the TT legends colours, and it's still very tidy and enjoyable to ride I'd keep it 100%. Why get rid of a good, clean capable bike that's a few years old if it's still a fucking nice ride and excites or thrills you to ride?

What do you think about the MT10 apart from it being a brand new bike is better about it than your blade? The Blade will be faster, have more bhp, and has probably got better more adjustable suspension, as well as much better build quality, judging the MT10 by the standards of the smaller MT series bikes. Its also bloody ugly in an Alien way, just like most modern nakeds are. Im not sure it's any more ugly than a Z1000 or H2R, but that's not saying much either.

What needs doing to your blade to make it truly mint and spotlessly clean if that's what matters to you, and how much will it cost to get it there?

That would be my biggest deciding factor of all I reckon.

My blade is all black with gold engine casings.

It's obviously been on its side at some point, as when I bought it I noticed it had a newer clutch over and new gasket than the other side, the indicator has a minor scuff, and the right hand faring has a few broken clips - not that this affects it staying in place and it's not hanging off with massive gaps or anything, I just know it's there. I do car detailing as a hobby, so noticed the nose cone has been repainted at some point - and (IMO) not brilliantly. Again, not noticeable really...just me being exessively anal.

Don't get me wrong, it's no shed by any strech of teh imagination, and I knew all these things when I bought it, and I got it for good money - so much so that the part ex I'm being offered now is a few hundred quid more than what i paid for it a year ago, and i've put 5k on it.

If this offer hadn't been put under my nose, I wouldnt' even be considering changing.

I'ts jsut sailed teh MOT again, no advisories at all and the testers complimented on the bikes condition

I guess I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of it - I'm not a knee down kind of rider for starters. Riding in traffic a lot, as I do, it gets hot as they all run hot as I'm sure everyone knows. It's also hard on the wrists with a backpack of work clobber as I have 99% of the time.
It is a lovely ride though if I am out for a blat at a weekend (which is happening les now that we have an 8 month old son) - which is another reason I dont' have a whole lot of time to be tinkering with it.

I like the power delivery of teh MT10, that you don't need to wring its neck to get it really going. I also liek the different riding modes - ideal for commuting or riding for fun - in all weather, as I use teh bike all year. Cruise control is pretty cool as again, I use the bike sometimes for long work trips, and the quick shift is a nice touch. It has the slipper clutch like the Blade which I also like. TCS and AbS would also be nice to have again.

I don't like the standard bar height and position, I woudl rather be a little further forward and lower, but they do different risers for this.

Last edited by FirebladeRuss on 23:51 - 27 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but wait, look at your forum name. Sorry to say your stuck with a fireblade now until the end of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 02:03 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:
Ah, but wait, look at your forum name. Sorry to say your stuck with a fireblade now until the end of time.

Can change it easily.

However, you own the blade...the MT will be borrowed with you paying...

Personally PCP can suck a dick

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:00 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the bike itself, ignoring finance, as that is a personal decision for people?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirebladeRuss wrote:
Any thoughts on the bike itself, ignoring finance, as that is a personal decision for people?

If you've already decided the finance is a personal decision, I can only add that so too is the bike you want to ride, perhaps more so. If you want more information on what the bike is like to own and ride, that's fair enough. But to tell you whether you'd be happy with one? Only one way to find that out.

The MT10 appeals to me, but only going by what I've heard from others. If I bought one, I'd be living with the looks, rather than liking them. They sound a bit mental to ride - there's a guy I know on the Fazer forum who has one, seems to spend every moment on the back wheel. That's all very well and good, but I wouldn't want to be riding like that all the time.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, I can't let this one slide.

FirebladeRuss wrote:
Yeah thats right, there's a final payment after the 2 year term - however, Yamaha guarantee theyll give you that value provided the bike isn't fucked when you hand it back, so that can then be used as a deposit on a new one.

You give them £5K or whatever usurious figure they demand. They then guarantee to value the bike at £5K as a trade in against another Yamaha.

Wow, such deal, very bargain.

Or, don't give them the £5K, walk away, and have £5K in your pocket to spend on anything you like.

PCP just makes me go Brick Wall

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another non fan of PCP. The bike is never yours. You can't fuck around with it. You have to worry about miles, paint chips, dropping it (more than you would if it was your own). Not for me.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree entirely, I do think PCP is a good thing but there is no reason at all for the rate being 9.9APR this is purely kickback money for the dealer and should be refused until the rate drops to 5%, this is usually black horse finance who are all over the main dealers as the preferred in-house finance company so the dealers are lazy/greedy and don't try other suppliers where they could drop the rates and sell more bikes

and also there is no reason the dealer can't discount the bike on a PCP just as if they were discounting it for any normal reason

Last edited by andys675 on 17:12 - 28 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only live once, do it.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:58 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you're trying to verify a decision you've already made. So go for it.

The one thing I'd say is make sure you run all the finance numbers through & also assume you'll pay the final lump sum to keep the bike. The finance company won't be wanting to lose money so the GFV will be what you'll expect get for the bike in good, not A1, condition as trade in after the finance period is over. I've seen the total cost of car ownership be over 10% less by stomaching the bigger HP monthly payments.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:42 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it bought if you like it!

You only live once.

Although I would probably get a cheap personal loan rather than PCP as your deposit amount (the Blade) will be fairly substantial. I'd do this because;

1. You should get a lower interest rate.
2. You won't have a hefty final payment.
3. You'll have more flexibility if you want to sell up before the loan completes.

Good luck!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
Seems like you're trying to verify a decision you've already made. So go for it.

This.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Do it if you you want to.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:28 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for sure, rent the MT-10 if the numbers work out. Be clear that you are trading a bike that you own for one that you're just renting. With a limited mileage too - take that into account.

<sperg>
Yamaha PCP seems to assume £6417 final payment on a £11000 MT10 @ 8.9%. £45 a month x 36 months @ 8.9% = just £1,424 loan value which leaves you needing to make up £3159 from the trade-in value of the Blade.

That's very close to the £3130 book trade-in value so they're not actually doing you any favours.

That cost to own though... Hurt There's going to be a lot of them just handed back, I expect.
</sperg>

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP is fine if the amount you paid in is equal or less than the depreciation of the bike over the time of the contract.

With newer models, this is quite hard to work out and predict. Tis a minefield.

I would just look at it as hiring the bike for £45 a month + your deposit. If you are happy with this, then go for it.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, for sure, rent the MT-10 if the numbers work out. Be clear that you are trading a bike that you own for one that you're just renting. With a limited mileage too - take that into account.

<sperg>
Yamaha PCP seems to assume £6417 final payment on a £11000 MT10 @ 8.9%. £45 a month x 36 months @ 8.9% = just £1,424 loan value which leaves you needing to make up £3159 from the trade-in value of the Blade.

That's very close to the £3130 book trade-in value so they're not actually doing you any favours.

That cost to own though... Hurt There's going to be a lot of them just handed back, I expect.
</sperg>

That's a pretty crap trade in price non? I thought 2008 blades were knocking around for about 4k on the private market.

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been offered £5k

No, I've not made up my mind. My Blade is a lovely looking bit of kit, but it's got 26k on it now, which means the value is only going one way.

There's nothing wrong with it, and the mileage doesn't bother me personally in the slightest because it's sound. BUt as is always the way, other buyers and traders all pull funny faces because it's over 20k.

I was just curious to know what others would do, and what the opinions of the MT10 were in general, if anyone had one, etc.

I'm not really fussed on what people views on PCP deals are to be honest, because as I've said, that's down to personal choice and financial standings. I'm more interested in the bikes themselves, build quality, reliability, etc.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirebladeRuss wrote:
Ive been offered £5k

No, I've not made up my mind. My Blade is a lovely looking bit of kit, but it's got 26k on it now, which means the value is only going one way.

If you think the value of pretty much any vehicle is going in any other direction than down once it leaves the sales floor as a brand new machine then you've been had!

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:10 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me.

Any views on the MT10 at all?! Rolling Eyes

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirebladeRuss wrote:
Any views on the MT10 at all?! Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure what you're expecting. If you don't want opinions about whether the deal is right, then why even mention it?

Re. '08 'blade vs MT-10. From personal experience, they're both superb motorcycles, albeit quite different. The 'blade is smooth and refined, and as focused and fast as most superbikes, whilst being easy to ride. The MT-10 is also easy to ride, but it's an absolute riot - it's all about the thrill. It must be the easiest bike, ever, to wheelie off the power, and quite often the rider doesn't get a choice in the matter. If you can live with that, and you can live with the looks of the MT-10, I very much doubt you'll regret the purchase.

So, if you WANT an MT-10, then buy one. If you're not so certain (clearly you aren't), then why not try a few alternatives? You probably won't get the chance again for a few years if you take up a PCP deal. It doesn't take much effort to punt the 'blade around against other bikes of interest, and you might get equally 'good' deals elsewhere.

I recently took the Triumph Street Triple 765 RS out for a test ride. It's absolutely spot on as a fast, nimble, light, no-nonsense, naked sportsbike. Despite the power deficit, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually quicker than an MT-10 on road and track. It's certainly classier. I honestly don't think I had a single criticism. So if I were to spend £10k on a new bike, great as the MT-10 is, I personally don't think I would choose one over the Triumph. But YMMV - it depends what you like and what you're after.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2