Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hyperpro rear springs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:03 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Hyperpro rear springs Reply with quote

I'm thinking of changing my rear spring, primarily to help with setting of correct preload. At the moment the adjuster on my V-Strom is wound all the way up and it's still 8mm outside of ideal setting.

Should I expect a Hyperpro spring to assist in this or is it more a like-for-like swap that's considered an upgrade?

Any advice appreciated Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend chose a Hyperpro front and rear spring kit which,together with the correct grade fork oil as supplied,made a big difference to his Bandit 1200.The kit was a much cheaper option to a replacement rear shock and was easy to install.

The website for Hyperpro https://hyperpro.com/products/ suggests Performance Parts Ltd https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/ as the UK importer and they should be able to suggest the correct spring for the weight and type of riding that you are contemplating.

When I replaced the rear shock on my R1 I quickly found that the front springs then felt inadequate.It is an idea to upgrade the front at the same time,although a little time then needs to be spent setting up the best spring preload and damping clickers Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Hyperpro rear springs Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
I'm thinking of changing my rear spring, primarily to help with setting of correct preload. At the moment the adjuster on my V-Strom is wound all the way up and it's still 8mm outside of ideal setting.

Should I expect a Hyperpro spring to assist in this or is it more a like-for-like swap that's considered an upgrade?

Any advice appreciated Thumbs Up

How much do you weigh is the key part of this (Well how much load do you carry is more accurate, top box, pillion etc.). How many miles on your shock will also impact it. If your shock unit is bust, putting a posh spring on it is just delaying the inevitable.

As Hyperpro springs are progressive they're not sold with a specific weight like a linear spring as the rate of the spring changes depending on how compressed it is. i.e. when it isn't compressed very much it takes a little force to compress, whereas when it is compressed a fair amount it takes a lot of force to compress.

Their springs are very good on OE units if they're not shot and you're not carrying massive loads.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:31 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Typical all in weight is 230lbs with everything on and everything fitted that lives on the bike permanently.

My bike has 8300 miles on it and has been looked after with a good service history.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:41 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
A friend chose a Hyperpro front and rear spring kit which,together with the correct grade fork oil as supplied,made a big difference to his Bandit 1200.The kit was a much cheaper option to a replacement rear shock and was easy to install.

The website for Hyperpro https://hyperpro.com/products/ suggests Performance Parts Ltd https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/ as the UK importer and they should be able to suggest the correct spring for the weight and type of riding that you are contemplating.

When I replaced the rear shock on my R1 I quickly found that the front springs then felt inadequate.It is an idea to upgrade the front at the same time,although a little time then needs to be spent setting up the best spring preload and damping clickers Thumbs Up

I have it in mind not to be surprised if this is the case. I went for ride yesterday evening and the bike has the sensation of being higher at the back, ie not as compressed as much which is what I might expect, but the composure of it over certain undulating or rippled poor surfaces is not great. It clearly doesn't like having it's pre-load adjuster at maximum. It's like trying to stay on a horse if you know what I mean. It does seem to originate from the rear end but has you say, it's bound to highlight other shortcomings once it's changed out.

I'm no expert at bike suspension/handling, this is my first so I'm finding my way.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
Typical all in weight is 230lbs with everything on and everything fitted that lives on the bike permanently.

My bike has 8300 miles on it and has been looked after with a good service history.

Doesn't seem like you should have the adjuster maxxed out with 103kg on it. What ideal are you trying to achieve, but still 8mm out of? Sag?

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
F1.ash wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Doesn't seem like you should have the adjuster maxxed out with 103kg on it. What ideal are you trying to achieve, but still 8mm out of? Sag?

I have nothing to compare it to so I've no idea what I should expect. All I know is I can't set the correct sag, the adjuster is fully in and the ride seems hard at times. I'd also like some more progression in damping if it's possible and I'd also like some headroom on the adjustment in case of pillion etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1