Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

best way forward for an old new biker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:51 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: best way forward for an old new biker Reply with quote

hi all I need some advice from you guys. I'm just about to tick off one of the items on my bucket list, namely learning to ride. I'm early 50s so not sure the best way to approach it. what I mean is after my cbt would it be better to spend a year on a 125 to get my road craft up to scratch first so I have a better chance of passing the DAS or should I just go straight in for the das after the CBT? ive been a car driver for 30 years not sure if that will help or hinder me tbh so any advice you can give would be a bonus.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your road knowledge I would book a CBT which you'll need anyway then if you're still keen on it jump right in with a DAS. You don't need to learn to use the road, only to use the bike and you can accomplish that at your own pace.

Much more will depend on what type of bike you buy. If you get a get a bike with a neutral and forgiving handling you'll feel at home very quickly.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:59 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go straight in for DAS. Thumbs Up

You're going to have to do the training for DAS at some point, be it immediately or in a years time after wobbling around on a 125 with L plates, so there's no benefit from putting it off.

In lots of ways bigger bikes are easier to ride than tiddlers as well.

Get your CBT booked and take it from there. Mr. Green

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT Then straight into DAS, I did this last year aged 55.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Go straight in for DAS. Thumbs Up

You're going to have to do the training for DAS at some point, be it immediately or in a years time after wobbling around on a 125 with L plates, so there's no benefit from putting it off.

In lots of ways bigger bikes are easier to ride than tiddlers as well.

Get your CBT booked and take it from there. Mr. Green

Abso;utly 100% what Ste says.

Larger bikes are easier to ride than 125's and you are an experienced road user. Go straight for the DAS, Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:54 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Re: best way forward for an old new biker Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:
after my cbt

See if you survive that first.

No, really, don't make any decisions at all until you've actually ridden a bike.

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys so in short take my cbt if after that I still want to ride then go right in for the DAS. good advice and thanks for all your replies. I shall get it sorted then and let you know how I get on

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:
thanks guys so in short take my cbt if after that I still want to ride then go right in for the DAS. good advice and thanks for all your replies. I shall get it sorted then and let you know how I get on

Be aware. The advice you have received so far is just the appetiser. Don't make any decisions until you have been Tef'd, he will be along shortly.

For what its worth, I concur with going straight to DAS. IF you don't, you will only wonder why you didn't, when you do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your CBT.
If you enjoy it and plan to continue (quite a few don't), then talk to the instructors (who will have seen how good/bad you are) and see what they say.
Assuming you pass your CBT OK and want to continue, then don't fuck around on a 125 unless they tell you to.
As has been said on a thousand+ threads on here, a bike is only as fast as your throttle control makes it....

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:33 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:

I'm no veteran biker either, 48 years old, no previous experince. Went for CBT, was on the road on a 125 an hour or so later. Finished the CBT that day without issue and went on to DAS over 4 days 4 weeks later and passed. Now feeling very comfortable and at home on a V-Strom 650 Smile Loving every minute of it, and like you, I passed my driving test many many moons ago! Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: best way forward for an old new biker Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pepi1967 wrote:
after my cbt

See if you survive that first.

No, really, don't make any decisions at all until you've actually ridden a bike.

That. Although I must say I hated my CBT and did think about giving up after it, just because I didn't enjoy being on the bike at all. Then the first day of training, even on the 125, was great and it all fell into place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:42 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar position to you hit 50 in March did CBT + Theory tests went for the DAS option felt so much more in control on the bigger bike. Actually hated the 125 seemed to be either on or off with the throttle. MOD 1 in Wakefield where the examiner was a real cool guy encouraged me not to rush at it take a breather between each section and relax, MOD 2 in Bradford in the the rain hail and the notorious Bradford drivers and aced it. For me a 125 was not the way forward, if you are attending a riding school ask for a go on a bigger bike with a view to going on to DAS, worked for me but horses for blah blah blah.

chrisndaz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: I got a 125 Reply with quote

hi all I did my CBT and couldnt wait so got a 125. a nice one too.
Currently loving it and have been on 3 rides.
I dont see why i should get a bigger one if im terrified at 55mph
Im sure that will wear off shortly so will keep you updated.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: I got a 125 Reply with quote

chrisndaz wrote:
hi all I did my CBT and couldnt wait so got a 125. a nice one too.
Currently loving it and have been on 3 rides.

Because on a big bike 60 will feel like 30 Cool

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:38 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: I got a 125 Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Very true, all to do with the engine noise. Even on my Mod 1, I was told to shift up to 4th gear as in 3rd I was going slower because I 'thought' i was going the right speed as a result of the engine noise.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: I got a 125 Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chrisndaz wrote:

Although that's true, the biggest difference is that a bigger bike is so much more stable at all speeds, from 1mph up to NSL (and probably beyond but no one on here would know that for sure... Laughing ).
chrisndaz, Try one if you can and you'll immediately realise you don't want to piss about on a tiddler any longer.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratched that itch at 46. Don't waste time and money on a 125 like I did. If you enjoy your CBT, book your DAS at the end of it.

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well took my cbt and it went very well. it was a good informative day and ive booked for my DAS. just got my head in the books to pass this theory test and I will be good to go. ive decided to go to do the DAS on a residential course that I found. its the West Pennine Motorcycle Training place in Blackburn Lancashire. looks ok and they seem to have good reviews. just got to get the time off work to coincide with the DAS and I will be good to go. thanks to all of you who took the time to reply and your right a bigger bike is a lot easier to ride than the 125 was so cant wait to get on and get it done now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, glad to hear it went well for you. Definitely straight to DAS then, best of luck with the course.

Oh, don't get too frustrated with clicking too early in the hazard avoidance clips in the theory - it's just a game, you have to learn the rules about when they expect a genuinely new driver to notice the hazard.

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:36 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Great, glad to hear it went well for you. Definitely straight to DAS then, best of luck with the course.

Oh, don't get too frustrated with clicking too early in the hazard avoidance clips in the theory - it's just a game, you have to learn the rules about when they expect a genuinely new driver to notice the hazard.

I had a little go on a mock test using a DVD I was given with my theory and hazard clips on. the hazard clips make little sense to me at the moment tbh. if I click when I see it I'm clicking way to early so fail or if I wait till I think it IS a hazard I'm clicking a little to late so still fail so I'm going to have to do a lot of practising I think. thank god for the DVD lol. not so sure that 34 years as a car driver has helped in this situation as being on the road almost all day everyday you kind of get tuned in to hazards before they become an issue so your already prepared to act so looks like I will have to change my thought process a little to pass the video part of the test. but must say I'm looking forward to the challenge and learning something new.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See hazard, count to 2 then click.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:
well took my cbt and it went very well. it was a good informative day and ive booked for my DAS. just got my head in the books to pass this theory test and I will be good to go. ive decided to go to do the DAS on a residential course that I found. its the West Pennine Motorcycle Training place in Blackburn Lancashire. looks ok and they seem to have good reviews. just got to get the time off work to coincide with the DAS and I will be good to go. thanks to all of you who took the time to reply and your right a bigger bike is a lot easier to ride than the 125 was so cant wait to get on and get it done now.

Great stuff, glad it went well for you. Best of luck with your DAS. how long is the course your on and does it include mod 1 at the end?

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:53 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its five days including tests to full A licence

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:
its five days including tests to full A licence

Well?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2