Car = Potato.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
One thing though, even if I am to replace / fix the head gasket, is it worth it for a £1800 car?

That depends how much money you're prepared to gamble on not losing the car for scrap money.

Option 1) sell to a scrape man for (say) £100 so lose £1700.

Option 2) spend (say) £500 but its still fucked so revert to option 1 except lose £2200.

Option 3) spend (say) £500 and it's fixed, so get your £1800 car back. So lose (cost) only £500.

I'd go for option 3 and hope it doesn't turn into option 2 (whereas option 1 would just feel like giving up early to me).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
One thing though, even if I am to replace / fix the head gasket, is it worth it for a £1800 car?

That depends how much money you're prepared to gamble on not losing the car for scrap money.

Option 1) sell to a scrape man for (say) £100 so lose £1700.

Option 2) spend (say) £500 but its still fucked so revert to option 1 except lose £2200.

Option 3) spend (say) £500 and it's fixed, so get your £1800 car back. So lose (cost) only £500.

I'd go for option 3 and hope it doesn't turn into option 2 (whereas option 1 would just feel like giving up early to me).

I fully understand your points however Option one includes allowing said wifie to choose a new(old) car in whatever pretty colour she likes, This has the potential of many days of lying back in bed while she noms gratefully on your pecker . Thumbs Up

This can be converted into a monetary value and inserted in the financial equation by asking in the local red light district for the going rate of a BJ.

Just don't get caught Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fit a 2nd hand lump in that and then flog it on quick smart. See if you can get one on exchange.

If you and some mates can't DIY it then it's going to cost you almost the value of the car to get a garage to do it ( if you include the price of the engine and bits + labour + VAT)

So if you can't DIY it ...... eBay the piece of french shit as is and see if you can persuade some mug with a trailer to come and take it away for more than £100.

edit: If it has a CAT that's probably fucked too - they don't respond well to coolant. You'd need to check all the other ancilliaries also, a recon engine won't come with them as a rule.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I fully understand your points however Option one includes allowing said wifie to choose a new(old) car in whatever pretty colour she likes, This has the potential of many days of lying back in bed while she noms gratefully on your pecker . Thumbs Up

For my 'work horse' car I am a great believer in Bangernomics.
In the last 15 years I've probably spent less combined (including servicing/tyres etc) than many do per year.
However despite the EX having a few cars of her choice over the years, the rare BJs had nothing to do with her being grateful and everything to do with her wanting something else/new/different (rarely automotive related).

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:10 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
andy-b2 wrote:
Does it have an oil cooler?
If so look at that first.

Andy

How would an oil cooler contribute to puking coolant all over the engine?

Oil pressure runs higher than coolant pressure so overfills the coolant and reduces cooling efficiency. Coolant overheats and spews everywhere.
Mechanics usually say head gasket as that is a more common failure but I have had this happen on a diesel mk3 golf. Main dealer changed head gasket first and then realised it was the oil cooler.

Andy

Andy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-b2 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

How would an oil cooler contribute to puking coolant all over the engine?

Oil pressure runs higher than coolant pressure so overfills the coolant and reduces cooling efficiency. Coolant overheats and spews everywhere.
Mechanics usually say head gasket as that is a more common failure but I have had this happen on a diesel mk3 golf. Main dealer changed head gasket first and then realised it was the oil cooler.

Andy

Andy

Ah. I thought car oil coolers were air cooled like bike ones.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since oil and water are kept separate - can you explain to me what the pressure of one had to do with the other unless something has ruptured ( head gasket) to allow them to mix?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Since oil and water are kept separate - can you explain to me what the pressure of one had to do with the other unless something has ruptured ( head gasket) to allow them to mix?

That's where he's going, the cooler might have split allowing that mix. Doesn't take a lot of oil in the coolant to reduce efficiency enough for it to overheat like that without combustion chamber pressurisation.

I'd still say it's HG though, cos French.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:01 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was worth £1800.

it's now worth £300 'spares or repair' on ebay.

You can probably have it back worth £1800 for £300 and a weekend and learn some stuff in the process.

If someone offered to pay you £1200 to go on an interesting hobby related course for a weekend I'm fairly sure you wouldnt hesitate.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic pug HGF.

changing the head gasket isnt toooo hard a job on these, BUT....

check to see if the head bolts are reusable or not. many recommend changing them, or suffer the consequences later.

note you will also need to remove the cambelt to do the job, factor in for a new one, and tensioner, as you may as well do that while you're there.

i would also have the water pump and thermostat housing off to flush as much of the crap out as you can, as it takes bloody ages otherwise. you will want to take the rad out and fill with hot water, before chucking some dishwasher detergent in there, and leave for a while, then back flush it until it runs clear. basically, every pat of the cooling system will be full of mayo, so get as much out as you can while you have the engine apart.

you will need new gaskets / seals for the above.

get a haynes manual. you'll need it.

otherwise, perfectly doable by a DIY home mechanic, just take your time, label everything and bag it up. take many pictures to help with cable routing, hose connections, bolt placement, etc etc.

price everything you need up from Eurocar parts, along with whatever particular discount they have available at the time, and then you can make a call on whether to do it at all.

finally, when you get the head off, look very carefully at it. my old 320 E30 cracked the head, and i almost missed it until i took it to a place for chemical cleaning........

good luck Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 2l diesel it will have a an oil cooler.

Tbh, the 307 are so horribly sh*te I would recomend fixing and selling.

Not sure if I just got a lemon (and the rest of half the internets) but it's one thing after another with those cars and it's been an education...

The major things I've done (off the top of my head) over and above the usual wishbones/drop links/belts and pumps:
turbo @ 55k,
Duel mass flywheel & clutch at 75km (were not OEM!),
2x Injectors,
Coms 2000 unit,
Electronic hydraulic steering pump,
DPF clean x3? + pressure diff sensor,
Cam sensor,
Fuel cap sensor.

All that in 3-4 years. I've just bought a spunky 95 306 because they are just better damned cars (cost £250 & burn veg like a champ so will pay for itself with free veg in no time!) Rolling Eyes

Propper bangernomics = putting money in your pocket instead of paying for depreciation!

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Have you had much experience with women?

Been trying to persuade the wife that a 3/4 year old car for about £2-3k cash alongside our piece of shit Kia that the dealer won't fix (can keep booking it in for them to look at it under warranty though) is the best plan.

She's bought a brand new Vitara as "great deal due to NHS staff discount" putting us in a new 4 year finance deal.

the money from not having a car on finance was meant to allow me to save towards the inevitable demise of my ZZR in a few year's time!

With regards the OP's car

It's a peugeot, I've driven a fair few of them over the years and each one has tried to kill me / give me grief ranging from bonnets opening on the m'way through to the brakes just deciding they can't be arsed suddenly (that was on a test drive!)

Kill it, kill it with fire.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Have you had much experience with women?

Been trying to persuade the wife that a 3/4 year old car for about £2-3k cash alongside our piece of shit Kia that the dealer won't fix (can keep booking it in for them to look at it under warranty though) is the best plan.

She's bought a brand new Vitara as "great deal due to NHS staff discount" putting us in a new 4 year finance deal.

I obviously have better control over my women than you do Cool

He says looking furtively over his shoulder to see where she is

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
classic pug HGF.

changing the head gasket isnt toooo hard a job on these, BUT....

check to see if the head bolts are reusable or not. many recommend changing them, or suffer the consequences later.

note you will also need to remove the cambelt to do the job, factor in for a new one, and tensioner, as you may as well do that while you're there.

i would also have the water pump and thermostat housing off to flush as much of the crap out as you can, as it takes bloody ages otherwise. you will want to take the rad out and fill with hot water, before chucking some dishwasher detergent in there, and leave for a while, then back flush it until it runs clear. basically, every pat of the cooling system will be full of mayo, so get as much out as you can while you have the engine apart.

you will need new gaskets / seals for the above.

get a haynes manual. you'll need it.

otherwise, perfectly doable by a DIY home mechanic, just take your time, label everything and bag it up. take many pictures to help with cable routing, hose connections, bolt placement, etc etc.

price everything you need up from Eurocar parts, along with whatever particular discount they have available at the time, and then you can make a call on whether to do it at all.

finally, when you get the head off, look very carefully at it. my old 320 E30 cracked the head, and i almost missed it until i took it to a place for chemical cleaning........

good luck Thumbs Up

a few screen shots suggest there may be some special tools required.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:

a few screen shots suggest there may be some special tools required.

fuck me! you're not kidding lol

glad i never had to do my brothers one Laughing

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scrap it, the repair will be fairly expensive. At least its another french pile of shit of the road?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Just scrap it, the repair will be fairly expensive. At least its another french pile of shit of the road?

The repair will be failry expensive, if you let someone else do it.

FTFY Wink

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how on earth do people have to do so much to their cars? i owned a 2006 mx5 from 50k to 100k in 4.5 years, and was fairly insulted when i had to replace an original headlight bulb at 95k Mr. Green

saying that, people dont seem to have much mechanical sympathy; guy at old workplace had a civic type r, every single day he redlined it going out the carpark, then complained about the gearbox being shit and seeing smoke behind him sometimes. Neutral

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old 306, glow plugs, brake discs and one brake line in 4 years (usual consumables)...
Not all cars are equal. Some are downright gobshite...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukamon wrote:
how on earth do people have to do so much to their cars? i owned a 2006 mx5 from 50k to 100k in 4.5 years, and was fairly insulted when i had to replace an original headlight bulb at 95k Mr. Green

saying that, people dont seem to have much mechanical sympathy; guy at old workplace had a civic type r, every single day he redlined it going out the carpark, then complained about the gearbox being shit and seeing smoke behind him sometimes. Neutral

Some you get lucky, some you don't. I've had supposedly reliable cars turn out horrid on me, and supposedly unreliable ones cost me nothing.

Everyone said my 330d auto box would assplode but it's still going now (with its new owner) at something like 230k. That car cost me a set of front ball joints and an inline fuel pump in something ridiculous like 80,000 miles. It did NOT get an easy life, either.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
My old 306, glow plugs, brake discs and one brake line in 4 years (usual consumables)...

Not to accuse OP of anything, but I'd say not all owners are equal, when it comes to maitenence and repair of their vehicles. Yes, there are some mechanical failures, that are completely random and we can't predict them, such as my father's Seat 1.9TDi dropping a valve into the engine (320K on the clock, the engine was always maitained, never had a problem).

Then there are people that hear/feel something is wrong with their car, but don't care, as the car still runs and they presume whatever the issue is, it's not worth their time nor money to fix. Then their car gives up and all they have to say about it is the car was crap.

I've seen such things, I've met such people. No mechanical sympathy, no admitance of their fault. I only wonder what would they do, if they smelled gas in their house or there was a broken pipe leaking. Thinking

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
skatefreak wrote:

Some people just don't give a shit and blame the car Thinking

Agreed, some people don't have a clue however I would suspect for this one particular model to have so many more problems (10k posts vs the vast majority being < 1km, and they are very much all problem posts) pretty much points the finger at a terrible car. Many full time mechanics I know agree on this point with this make/model, spectacularly bad.

I just had the air bag/tensioner warning ping up on Friday? I'm done with my 307. It's just constant component failure all the time with no rhyme/reason/warning and I am very mechanically sympathetic.

Injectors stop workingat 70k? Must be because I use tesco diesel now and then, £500 for a pair plz because delphi don't re manufacture or sell parts for them.
Electronic hydraulic steering pump fails abruptly one day, clearly me not servicing?! it or something because servicing a EHPS pump is now a thing?!
DMF makes funny noises and pulling it out its clearly worn out at 80k? Not sure how that's neglect by replacing it before it breaks/does damage?
Blown turbo at 55k? Not unusual with the RHR engine even when you do behave (oil pan design/turbo's oil pickup location).
ECU DPF delete because the DPF system just won't work anymore (It seems popular online and i know one garage that actually suggest this (ex Peugeot specialist mechanic) because they can cost more than the
car is worth to troubleshoot/fix?!)...

This Sunday I stopped to chat to a guy with his head under a 307 bonnet. Someone came over minutes later suggested burning it out as his caused him nothing but problems but his VW never goes wrong?

If 307's were no worse than any other car then there would be just as many numpties driving other cars into the ground without changing the oil in the first 50,000 miles and wondering why they go pop...

End Rant....
@ RhynoCZ - Don't take it personally... I'm not raging at you, I just really hate this car Rolling Eyes

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/threeeohhseven.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a 307 (petrol), it's crap even though it's in perfect working order. Razz

I don't know if my brother's car is any special, but the materials in the interior are very poor (not cheap, but not good), the interior has next to now sound dampening (excessive road and aerodynamic noise), the suspension is typically French (too soft, not responsive) and the whole car doesn't seem alright in speeds above let's say 40mph. I can only imagine how crappy a diesel version could be, with all the extra rattle.

I know it's kind of stupid, but whenever I'm supposed to go somewhere with my brother, I always insist on taking my much older PimpMobil and pay for the petrol, rather than spending any excesive amount time in his 307. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit French cars are shit, not seeing the need for a debate Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3