Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fairly in-depth article on bike theft

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:25 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Fairly in-depth article on bike theft Reply with quote

As usual, at Bennets.

(URL if linky-still-no-worky is https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/may/motorcycle-crime-the-facts )

Turns out that the eye watering 27,000+ thefts figure only cover bikes taken by force (against the bike at least). Those stolen by getting access to the keys via burglary or fraud ("working on the rigs") aren't even included. Brick Wall

"Giant transporters with mechanics in the rear stripping stolen bikes have been stopped by police. These vehicles – owned by organised crime gangs – are also on the move 24/7, travelling from country to country, collecting and delivering stolen bikes and parts."

"749 of the 1299 pursuits carried out by the Met last year were abandoned due to the safety of the riders and the prevention of any collateral damage. The thieves simply removing their helmets will see a pursuit stopped."

"Ironically though, thieves are now using their own cheap tracking devices to find their prey that they fix to a machine and track to its home [to get the keys, presumably] without spooking owners. If they steal the bike they can use the device again."

And so on. Mmm, numbars. Drooling

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:41 - 26 May 2017; edited 2 times in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linky no work Crying or Very sad

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, looks like they've even stolen the article Doh!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been secured with a Thatcham approved lock... Shhh!

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Fairly in-depth article on bike theft Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
"749 of the 1299 pursuits carried out by the Met last year were abandoned due to the safety of the riders and the prevention of any collateral damage. The thieves simply removing their helmets will see a pursuit stopped."

This figure is the tip of the iceberg as the recorded ones are probably by the officers "allowed" to chase bikes.
If you factor in the rest of the response / advanced police drivers who see the bikes but wont engage for fear of prison I bet it would be tens of thousands.

I cant lay the blame at the feet of the police on this one. Its the outcry when these thieves die through their own stupidity that causes it.
but then its the same with knife crime. london cried about stop and search, got what they wanted and now knife crime is worse than ever.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:41 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the bracket from the end of the link and it works

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of theft, daylight robbery and Bennetts.
I'll be ringing them later for a 'Mods declared' insurance quote for the Spacker. I could do with a laugh...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of the UK bike theft problem and insurance company losses/rising premiums is down to London and the other big cities?

What should insurance companies do, and employers and owners etc etc. Should the following be implemented?

1, Three repeat thefts and your out, in terms of not being able to insure a bike again for say 3years?

2, should after one or two thefts, the insurance company insist on you doing something different I.e. Better security, secure out of sight parking, more electronics fitted (trackers etc).

They could say that your bike must never be left on the street, or at open carparks and train stations etc.

3, Employers, should they either be forced to offer secure indoor or underground bike parking for their staff up on the 11th floor etc, and if they can't do this should they have a no bike policy for staff, so effectively banning employees riding to work, if they can only Park in the street etc.

Pretty harsh ideas, and I'm relating it mainly to people using bikes for daily transport, but surely with £15k superbikes being repeatedly stolen in London etc, they can't let it carry on forever as it's costing everyone way too much.

I know people do have rare Ducati WSB replicas and other examples of expensive bikes nicked from well locked secluded garages in leafy Surrey or rural Cheshire etc, but this is not the biggest and most common issue is it?

I know dealers and importers can be targeted by organised theft (Paggetts for example) but again I'm guessing this proportion of the theft figures as a whole is not a big player in the cost of theft overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken German isn't actually German.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

But Tiger Woods has retractable claws and he can photosynthesise.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

3, Employers, should they either be forced to offer secure indoor or underground bike parking for their staff up on the 11th floor etc, and if they can't do this should they have a no bike policy for staff, so effectively banning employees riding to work, if they can only Park in the street etc.

Why do you think an employer should have any say at all about an employee's method of transport? If I want to arrive on a pogo stick it has sod all to do with them.

stevo as b4 wrote:

Pretty harsh ideas, and I'm relating it mainly to people using bikes for daily transport

From someone who doesn't

stevo as b4 wrote:

but surely with £15k superbikes being repeatedly stolen in London etc, they can't let it carry on forever as it's costing everyone way too much.

Not disbanding, by slashing budgets, the stolen vehicle squad in 2012 might have been a good starting point. Perhaps some of those 20k police officers that May cut from the forces would help too.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

But Tiger Woods has retractable claws and he can photosynthesise.

Tiger isn't his real name so doesn't count. Rachel Uchitel claimed he had sex with her by getting wood multiple times.

Case dismissed.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo, you really are anti-bike, aren't you?

4. Get the police to do some proper policing Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:35 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the article - the rozzers aren't the problem.

Anyway, I blame MCN. He clearly doesn't want his gaff blown. Shhh!

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theft is more a reflection of our society than the fault of thieves.

I would love to know the bike theft rate in other developed countries.

Anecdotally, I am sure India does not have the same issue despite a lot of bikes. I wonder if it's the same in other Asian countries

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:34 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

What should insurance companies do

Commit seppuku.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'll be ringing them later for a 'Mods declared' insurance quote
You mean you have to tell them if you're a Mod. Shocked What if you just happen to wear a Parker and have an extra mirror?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
and have an extra mirror?

Just one extra mirror? Shirley, at least 30.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Should the following be implemented?

1, Three repeat thefts and your out, in terms of not being able to insure a bike again for say 3years?

I've had two thefts (from two different locations and two totally different scenarios and security levels) and I'm as good as out for the foreseeable at least.

stevo as b4 wrote:

Should the following be implemented?

2, should after one or two thefts, the insurance company insist on you doing something different I.e. Better security, secure out of sight parking, more electronics fitted (trackers etc).

I insisted I would have a tracker and a further 22mm pragmasis chain. Was told in detail how the computer still said no.
Note, for some parking off the road or out of sight is not an option, not even as a temporary solution.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
I've had two thefts (from two different locations and two totally different scenarios and security levels) and I'm as good as out for the foreseeable at least.

I thought part of it was the bike you'd have to ride?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:30 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

For many in London; this is already the case.

At least as far as getting a quote that's not several times higher than the value of the bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to those that have effectively been banned from insurance on bikes, but I was looking at it from:

1, the lazy, can't be bothered more money than sense owner that doesn't do everything they can in a hostile word to keep their bike safe.

2, from the insurance companies not all getting together to agree on a fair and reasonable approach that would let everyone know what's expected of them and where they stand, together with agreed approved security measures that are mandatory.

How many London peeps are affected by the no out of sight or off street parking though roughly? Yeah it's unfair in a way, but in another way if you can't provide a fairly secure and off the street location to park your bike, should you be able to have a nice/expensive/desirable bike at all?

Finally employers should do more to help staff that would be bike commuters in providing at least a certain minimum amount of safe/indoor parking, seeing as these employees are saving car park spaces and probably getting to work on time more reliably and often than their public transport staff do?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
seeing as these employees are saving car park spaces

I'm still not sure you're "getting" this London thing! Razz

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:02 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo mate, it's a dreamer that expects their employer to sort out security.
OTOH I have to sort out my neighbours security because I would like to reduce theft on my street. #4 attempt this week. Do I get a bottle from him? lol.
It doesn't matter if I can reduce the amount of kaahnts thinking they have the chav-given right to nick our bikes. I am not a hero, I just don't give a shit anymore.
Gotta do it yourself.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Finally employers should do more to help staff that would be bike commuters in providing at least a certain minimum amount of safe/indoor parking, seeing as these employees are saving car park spaces and probably getting to work on time more reliably and often than their public transport staff do?

They've already done loads to help - paying over a grand a square foot of office space for a location within one of the most accessible by public transport cities in the world.

Biking into London is a choice not a requirement. My trains are far more reliable than my KTM Laughing and it's not like every other day I have half my staff missing because of train problems - even when Southern are playing silly buggers; London commuters are resourceful and hardy as hell.

Why don't I ride into work? I've tried it a few times - doesn't save me much cash, much time, much bother, and it's miserable AF. It also means I can't drink, and there's lots of that to be done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2