Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG125 whining noise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

neuroticdax
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:36 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: CG125 whining noise Reply with quote

Hey all,

So about 2 months ago I did my CBT and got myself a honda cg125 (it says 2001 on the v5 but i believe it is a 1998 model)

Loads of fun already come off it because some idiots kicked dirt all over a blind corner but she just keeps on ticking, mostly because the back box footpeg and bar end took most the impact and I had slowed down for the corner

ANYWAY before said accident while stuck in stop/start traffic on a hill when trying to set off it made a weird and alarming noise. I'd best describe it as a whining grinding noise and it seems to be coming from the left side.

At the time I was giving it a little more rev's and slipping the clutch on and as I was panicking with the clutch it seemed like the more I released the lever the noise got louder. When idling setting off gently or after setting off no noises everything is fine.

In response I have replaced the clutch (which included cleaning the centrifugal filter which was just caked in crap), the clutch cable, the chain and front sprocket (initially I did change the back one but it was a 44T which I found utterly unrideable and put the 36T that was on there originally back on) and done 2 oil changes.

on the positive the gears are alot easier to select as the old clutch was fully gone unfortunately the whining noise is still happening, it doesn't have to be on a hill though basically any high-rev start will do it and it doesn't matter how slowly I let the clutch out just if the revs are high

Anyone got any ideas? Personally I think it could be the back sprocket because I don't remember if it was doing it on the 44T but maby the 14/36 gearing is too much? on the 44T it was trying to wheelie in every gear though and gears 2-4 were meaningless as it could comfortably go from 1 straight to 5 with a top speed of about 40 which I hated

im hesitant to say it is any of the bearings/gears on the right side of the engine because I checked everything for play/gear wear and it was all fine considering it has done 21k miles

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of the cg125, and I ride one even though I have a full license.One possibility is that the gearbox output shaft is badly worn, allowing the sprocket to slip under heavy loads. Proceed as follows. First note that on a CG there is always a bit of backlash between front sprocket and shaft. Remove sprocket cover Clean shaft and sprocket. Put chalk marks on shaft and sprocket. Do a high rev start. The chalk marks willtell you if slippage has occurred.

neuroticdax
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
I am a fan of the cg125, and I ride one even though I have a full license.One possibility is that the gearbox output shaft is badly worn, allowing the sprocket to slip under heavy loads. Proceed as follows. First note that on a CG there is always a bit of backlash between front sprocket and shaft. Remove sprocket cover Clean shaft and sprocket. Put chalk marks on shaft and sprocket. Do a high rev start. The chalk marks willtell you if slippage has occurred.

I get what you mean as much as I want to do my full license and jump on a CBR600 (I've already tried one out and loved the sheer extra power you get but also it seemed forgiving enough for me) or before that I had my eye on a ninja 350 I would be really sad to let the CG go even on my cbt when they asked me what bike I was looking at getting I said I would've bought the one I was on if they would let me.

Anyway when I replaced the front sprocket I "wiggle checked" it and there was no play however it was dark so I will check the shaft condition tomorrow. I would imagine there would be some obvious damage on the inside teeth of the sprocket if it is slipping if there isn't ill do as you say

just to make sure I am understanding correctly it is to check if the sprocket has rotated on the shaft right?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a bit of play between the front sprocket and the shaft but if the splines on the shaft become worn the sprocket can slip.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:14 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bike old enough to apply for its own licence... that lives in a world of know-little 'Learners' who probably bought it on the errant 'Legend' that "you cant go wrong with a CG they is indee-struct-u-bubble....", likely to do nothing by way of maintenance, have daft ideas about tuning for more speed, and try and 'fix' stuff, only when it is unrideable, with cable ties and gaffer tape and off the wall ideas and notions rather than actual spare parts and know-how! In 17odd years it's probably had a fair few of them And one of them has stuck some very short off-road gearing on this one....

BEFORE we go any further.. what do you want to do here?

CBT s not a licence, its your first lesson as a learner. May let you ride a 125 unsupervised on the road on L-Plates, but intent of that bit of legacy legislation, s so that you can g practice' for the propper bike tests... not spend a couple of years dodging them....

Or, as is likely with an old 'project bike' spend a couple of years, being a crash test dummy, trying not just how to learn to ride, but all the rest like, folk leave dirt trail on the road round blind bends, and you aught to ride at a speed in which you can safely stop in the distance you can see to be clear.. On that one, the 'idiot who left a mud-trail' wasn't really the idiot, really, were they? You, 'LEARNER'.. probably should have known better, shouldn't you?

This is the school of hard knocks, you have chosen here, going it alone on a 125 & L's.. SoHK doesn't actually teach you how to ride, doesn't even teach you how not to ride... just punishes you for effing up and leaves you to work out the why's ad hows after... blaming whoever left the road slime, sort of suggests you haven't actually learned much from that hard-knock lesson!

Variable that the bike, is obviousely less than perfect; probably on crappy old hard compound tyres; rather wobbly on pretty crap nuder damped shocks, that wont have got better with age, etc etc etc, wont help...

IF you want to learn to ride.. then something that is as good as it can be, works like it should, grips like t should and leaves it pretty irrefutable, IF you have a hard-knock lesson, its something YOU have done wrong, not the bike... is, for as long as the bike survives more hard-knocks than you, going to help.

And old shit-heap, that has probably been hacked about the dirt; dropped, bodged and generally mistreated for a decade and a half, unlikely to work as it should, and trying to de-bug and fault find possible faults with the bike, could be a lot of great fun, and teach a lot about mechanics... IF you knew hoe the thing aught behave and what t should be capable of dong because before playing CTD you actually know how to ride..... other wise, it is the blind leading the blind, and a recipe for a lot of painful SoHK effups, from clusterfcuk problems, the largest being you don't know how to ride very well, and doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, on a bike that aint that great, but at this point in time, probably has more road miles under its wobbly wheels than you do by a very very very long margin!

Like I said WHAT do you really want to do here?

1/ If you want to learn to ride... go take some lessons.
2/ If you want to get some early miles road experience and practice on L-'s... eliminatethe variables, and get a much newer, less botchered bike that eliminates variables
3/ IF you want to learn mechanics? Haul the thing in a shed, strip it, restore it; make it as new as you can, as standard as you can, and like the pictures in the Haynes Manual... return to top of list when 'done'.

I the meantime... you have dropped a 44t back sprocket for a 36t.. no mention of chain i that statement. Just reducing back sprocket diameter, you have shortened the chain run by 8 links! It's a 428 chain with a Half inch pitch.... that is 12.5mm per link; smaller sprocket then begs a chain 100mm/4" shorter! Haf o the top run, half on the bottom, that's still 2" of axle travel on the adjuster slot, probably more than the axle has adjustment travel! And it's doubtful it was at min adjustment to start with!

SO! silly questions first!
1/ What state are your chain ad sprockets in to begin with?
2/ When you down-sized rear sprocket; did you shorten the chain to suit? if so HOW!
3/ How have you tensioned the chain?

'98 or 2001 CG, OTMH aught be late Kick-only or early Duel-start model, with drum brakes front and back, and tin-bath full enclosed chain guard. There is a query in there, as to why you think that its a '98 model on a 2001 plate.... as it been rebuil? (old bike around new frame?) Was it a grey or parallel import? Why the discrepancy?

Meanwhile, does it still have the bath tub chain guard? If not, does it have any chain guard? Has the swing-arm section been removed, but the crank-case end left in place?

If some-one has gone to the trouble / expense of fitting very big rear wheel sprocket for off-road gearing; have they also fitted over-length shocks to jack up the back end, for more clearance / travel?

When you pulled the 44t sprocket; its a narky 'bush-cush'hub. Sprocket doesn't bolt to the hub, sprocket has four 'pegs' bolted through holes in teh sprocket that then slot nto metalastic bushes n the hub, and are usually a PITA to line up, IF you have taken the sprocket off properly.. ie removed wheel, removed the big circlip that holds sprocket on hub-flange, slid sprocket and pegs out of the drive flange bushes; moved pegs to new sprocket, trial fitted to align pegs, nipped the peg nuts, holding back of peg with a very thin cycle spanner to locate them on the sprocket, then removed to tighten properly with a decent size spanner on the flats on back of the pegs, then re-fitted, secured with circlip... and no I'm not talkng a forreign language...

But if you are following me, I will lay odds you are scratching your head and most likely thinking, "Err, no I just undid the bolts round the sprocket, dropped right off".. which s not uncommon the drive pegs often corrode into the sleeve in the metastatic bush, and folk oft kill the circlip or forget to refit...

At this piont, stuff possibility of drive sprocket float.. it is supposed to have some small float anyway; but f the back sprocket, the one you have changed isn't bolted up right, makes sod all odds really.

And more monkey-mechanics possibility... 44t wheel sprocket... what is the odds, that that was fitted, not so much because it was a great idea for off-road antics, but that the chain was already stretched to oblivion, and adding 4" of chain run around it conveniently took the axle back to the start on the chain adjuster... so it could get stretched even more! THIS sort of shenanigans is all too common on old learner-bikes!

JUST this one little niggle opens the can of worms on the whole deal, and you are likely to either be oblivious of so many faults, and likely to continue in manner of prev-owners, only fixing stuff, when it obviously needs fixing, and be in a mine-field of not knowing what's what or what should be what, and having to contend with however many PO's oft botched improvised repairs fixes and ideas of 'upgrades.

And on this one, there is a very very good chance that the out-put shaft bearing and probably the seal is utterly baulked from a frequently over tightened chain, either from jusy beng stretched well beyond service limits, or from being hammered in off-road antics, more possibly by a loose chain being tensioned by crude slip-blocks or tension pulleys! Who knows. Like I said, its a mine-field.

Here and now, you need to ask what you are trying to do; and decide if this is the right bike to be trying to do it with.

Persevering with it as is? Look first at what YOU have done; Did the pegs come away with the sprocket? as they should? Did you tighten the sprocket down onto the pegs with a thin spanner behnd the sprocket? Did you refit to hub with circlip. IF you didn't, god chance that you have a RW sprocket wanering about on the hub, you'll ever tension properly. Next p, chain and chain tesnsion, what state s anything in? THEN start looking for PO Bodges....

But I would be cleaning out the out=pt sprocket cover, checking for play on the shaft, and sign of oil weepage from the seal.

If the out-put shaft seal has gone; there are a couple of dirty tricks to replace it in situ, but not always wonderfully successful or long lasting, and likely less so f done DIY by a newb. Proper fix for both OPS seal and bearing begs a complete tear down, as the crank-case halves have to be split; and that is ether quick or easy or cheap job, and likely to open a whole new can of worms; when after biting the bullet over £40's worth of gaskets and seals just to tear down and rebuild as is; worn & scored bores, slopy valve guides chewed tappets, etc etc etc all start to add hapeth-of tar to make it a £300 plus job to do it justice.

Or you just live with an oil weep.. frequently checking and toppng the engine oil, call it an auto-chain oiler, and live with the wine until it wont work at all, and deal with it then.... and hope i the mean time it don't dump slippy stuff on the back tyre, to save idiots in tractors having to leave it on the road for you....

Beyond final drive? It's up into the box, i that tear down, and who knows what maledies there may be; Old school bikes spend a lot of time being ridden around play-grounds and suburban streets dong hill starts and U-turns and stuff, unsympathetically clogged between 1st and second by first time rders; there could be a heck of a lot of wear on 1st & 2nd gears and the selector dogs, that possibly could even be bent! Selector ratchet, similarly likely worn/damaged after such hard use, and who knows how much more applied by beig hacked around the rough on off-road spockets, probably a lot n 1st 2nd trying to do wheelies or big hill climbs or stuff.

But, eliminating varables.. first and largest right now, is unfortunately YOU, as a novice rider. Then the final drive, as far as how worn out it s; how neglected its been; how abused its been and any likely and as likely ill-conceived bodges or 'mods' from removal of bath-tub chain guard to old car bump-stops screwed to the swing arm to sli-block tenson the bottom side slack.

And a wine? Could be something as daft as a crisp-packet jammed n the brake drum! Or a bit of washing up bowl packin used to get the pedal pressur on the pads for MOT coming adrift and rubbing on the back-hub; or a rear wheel bearing gone rusty from off-road mud, freeng up and wearing out i doble time...

The list of possbilities, between normal wear and tear, through Previouse Owner neglect / abuse and Bodgery is very very long....

Do you want to learn to ride, or do you want to learn to do bike mechanics? And in either instance, how much, as it stands in current plan is THIS bike likely to actually help either aspiration? And how much blood, sweat, tears, hard-knocks and cold hard cash is it going to consume along the way to do either?

Interesting to note you say you replaced the clutch... they are a bit of a PITA, and getting the center hub back in without the plates jamming, if you didn't have the special castle socket to take the whole basket off the input shaft and replace as a unit; another PITA i the push-rod bearing alignment in the spring plate, and potetial for that to be sittig cock, f you bolted down the plate slightly skew one spring at a time, rather than aroud teh houses, 1/4 turn on opposites working around to dra it down flat.. that could as easily be whinig as anything else.... whilst job also begs an oil change... what ols been put back in; was it the right grade? How well did you flush first? Did you use car oil y any chance, that has friction inhibitors i it bike clutches don't often like, and can kill phosphur bronze bushes, or selector dogs?

Remember, its the oldest tricki the ook, to quieten a noisy knackered gearbox down, to dump in some extra thick gear oil, like EP90, where its supposed to be runnng 40wt! Just how botcherised has this thing been by PO's?

Revisit what you have touched, make sure you haven't made more problems than you have solved, before looking for new faults to chase..... then look at most likely 'problems which is garanteed prev-owner abuse/neglect.. before old age, which at 17+ years old this ike will undoubtedly be suffering too.

Think long and hard what you really want.,, and if a CBR600 is it, you could doing DAS and chucking a little money and not a lot of BS&T at the job, be riding one, in a week or two, and not getting your hands oily or fretting about 'problems' you don't need, and concentrating on things like what might be around corners, or about to back off driveways etc etc etc.

So many people bag up so many hopes and aspirations and ambitions into one little bike, like this, and then wonder why they are so frustrated by them falling short if they come through on much at all! Separate the variables, needs and wants; and recognize where you are on the learning curve, both as a rider and as a mechanic..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neuroticdax
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
^ Shocked

given the condescending nature I've seen him deliver to other cg owners I cant say I didn't see it coming but so much of that was uncalled for so im gonna try to answer this as fast as possible

At the moment I need to be mobile...when I say I am looking at a cbr im talking year or so down the line so the cg suits me just fine right now don't go visiting my intentions that's nothing to do with the question I asked, although since we're exploring personal boundary's I find it funny that when i referred to kids in a car doing wheel spins kicking dirt all over the road (because i found who did it and they admitted it) as idiots you jumped on me as if you were there and knew I had chosen to ride my bike blindfolded that day

but you then talk about tractor drivers as idiots spreading oil on the road, hello...my names kettle how are you today?

as for learning mechanics haha no this isn't my first rodeo not by a long shot

now back to the matter at hand

I believe it is a 1998 because of mechanical discrepancy's between the two I have found as you said it is a kick only front and rear drum

the problem existed before I did anything to it and other problems have gone away with work I have done so yeah I'd say Im doing it right

the 44T you are hung up on I think you misunderstood when I replaced the chain it came with a 14T and 44T sprocket set originally it was on a 36 so no none of that other crap you mentioned has been done to it the chain had 2 links removed and is on give or take half its adjustment front sprocket is brand new as is the chain the rear is old but not in bad condition which is why i relented and put it back on circlip and all

its safe to assume that since i have pretty much pulled the bike apart and put it back together again clean fresh and lubed where needed (aside from one half of the engine) there are no ziptie duct-tape and chewing gum fixes and everything is tightened as much as it should be any issues would be related to old/wearing parts all I wanted to know was where to be looking

at the moment I am somewhat sure on the output shaft which I will have to check later as it rained today pretty badly

Mike honestly I could sit here and list all the reasons why I'm not the cg owning moron you like to patronize to death but I cant even be bothered so ill put it plain: respond like that again and you'll be wasting your time
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1