Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying first bike- when do you buy insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Buying first bike- when do you buy insurance? Reply with quote

I'll be buying my first bike within a couple of months, perhaps as close as 2 weeks away and I wonder; when do you buy the insurance and tax for it? I mean do you put a deposit down on the bike, buy the insurance and then come back a week later to ride off with the bike or do you buy the insurance beforehand and just hope that the 2nd hand bike isn't covered in rust when you visit the dealer/seller?

Thanks for any advice.

SD

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd normally buy/start the insurance on the day you pick the bike up.

I'd get insurance quotes online (as you need to know roughly what your bike is going to cost anyway - you don't want to buy something you can't afford to insure), then once the deal is done buy the insurance. That may be that you hand over cash to a private seller then go online from your smartphone and pay for your saved quote, or that you pay a deposit to the dealer/seller then go home and sort it and come back later.

Note that buying from a dealer it's usual to not get the bike the same day you see it - they may need to get it through an MOT or do any remedial work you've negotiated into the price, so you get a few days grace to sort your insurance. The insurance people will be happy to start it on any reasonably close future date/time you specify.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bamt said, get the quotes sorted first, then buy the insurance when you pick the bike up - either with a smart phone or a normal one, talking to a human*. Don't forget to pay for your tax at the same time.

* I use the term "human" loosely, since it's insurance monkeys we're talking about.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and see the bike, agree a deal then start getting your online insurance quotes. There will be a section where it says "bike not owned yet" and also sections for any modifications (which you should ask the dealer to confirm to you). When you go to collect and pay for the bike, the dealer will insist on seeing a cover note so build in an hour or so to get that emailed to you once you select which insurance quote you are going to accept.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
You'd normally buy/start the insurance on the day you pick the bike up.

I'd get insurance quotes online (as you need to know roughly what your bike is going to cost anyway - you don't want to buy something you can't afford to insure), then once the deal is done buy the insurance. That may be that you hand over cash to a private seller then go online from your smartphone and pay for your saved quote, or that you pay a deposit to the dealer/seller then go home and sort it and come back later.

Note that buying from a dealer it's usual to not get the bike the same day you see it - they may need to get it through an MOT or do any remedial work you've negotiated into the price, so you get a few days grace to sort your insurance. The insurance people will be happy to start it on any reasonably close future date/time you specify.

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
As Bamt said, get the quotes sorted first, then buy the insurance when you pick the bike up - either with a smart phone or a normal one, talking to a human*. Don't forget to pay for your tax at the same time.

* I use the term "human" loosely, since it's insurance monkeys we're talking about.

Thanks, I'll probably do the phone route. Hopefully it doesn't take too long going from a saved quote to full payment, as being on Pay-as-you go I don't want to be standing in the person's driveway for ages, not to mention the awkwardness. And I expect there's a .Gov site for paying the tax online.

Oldie wrote:
Go and see the bike, agree a deal then start getting your online insurance quotes. There will be a section where it says "bike not owned yet" and also sections for any modifications (which you should ask the dealer to confirm to you). When you go to collect and pay for the bike, the dealer will insist on seeing a cover note so build in an hour or so to get that emailed to you once you select which insurance quote you are going to accept.

Unless I wait longer for the extra cash it'll most likely be 2nd-hand from an individual seller.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Also make sure they're open if you're going to call.

With insurance yes smartphone, purchase via a saved quote when you've bought the bike. You can tax the vehicle with your new keepers slip: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1