Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Expired MOT, valid tax and insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Expired MOT, valid tax and insurance Reply with quote

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but whilst I believe I'm legal to ride to a prebooked MOT, what happens if it fails for something minor?
Can I still legally ride home?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:57 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Expired MOT, valid tax and insurance Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but whilst I believe I'm legal to ride to a prebooked MOT, what happens if it fails for something minor?
Can I still legally ride home?

You can... if MOT man says you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:42 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's not slapped with a prohibition notice/condemned.

Fucked brakes? Go get a trailer/pay him to fix it
Indicator not working fine? Ride it home and fix it/Pay him to fix it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:03 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT tester will state 'in my opinion this vehicle is dangerous because' on the failure sheet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:51 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, BCF.

This is the offence of using a vehicle without an MOT certificate (particularly S47):

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/II/crossheading/tests-of-vehicles-other-than-goods-vehicles-to-which-section-49-applies

Can anyone see the exemption that applies while taking it to, or away from, a test?

There's an exemption from VED: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/schedule/2/paragraph/22

But where's the MOT exemption?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popo say yes you can:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q600.htm

Quote:

If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances.

The law makes no mention as to how far you can go but we would suggest that the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc. Additionally:

if you call in at shops etc. on your way to the MOT, it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won't apply;
the further you travel the more likelihood there is of your vehicle triggering an ANPR camera and you being stopped.

But an interesting point about the legislation

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:40 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popo say a lot of stuff.

I accept that's very likely to be the way it will play out. It's non-endorsable anyway, and likely to be a £100 FPN mugging, worst case, if the vehicle is roadworthy.

The question was about the legality though, and I'm still not sure on it.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:34 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Expired MOT, valid tax and insurance Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

You can... if MOT man says you can.

an MOT tester can't tell you what you can or can't do. and it makes no difference to any offense committed whether it failed an mot. It's either roadworthy or it's not.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

As long as it's not slapped with a prohibition notice .

Which can't be done by an MOT tester, (condemned not being a term used in the Scheme therefore meaningless in context)

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the score with taking your vehicle for MOT a week before it runs out, it then fails, are you still legal for another week on the old MOT or is the newly issued failed MOT sheet applicable?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:45 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old one is still valid. Anything that makes the vehicle unroadworthy was already there before you got the MOT done. You're no worse off than you were before.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies, it passed anyway.
It was just the front brakes I was concerned about.
I recently overhauled them and I was still lucky to get half a wheel spin.

Turns out all I got was him saying I didn't put it down as an advisory but "I did notice the front binding a little"
I guess my assumption that you need about 1 full turn was incorrect.
As always, its been informative. Thumbs Up

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Cheers for the replies, it passed anyway.
It was just the front brakes I was concerned about.
I recently overhauled them and I was still lucky to get half a wheel spin.

Turns out all I got was him saying I didn't put it down as an advisory but "I did notice the front binding a little"
I guess my assumption that you need about 1 full turn was incorrect.
As always, its been informative. Thumbs Up

Be a bit careful with that - I had the front of my KTM try to tuck under me the other week as the brakes had started to bind heavily. One to keep an eye on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1