Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a (British) Summer Glove...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Recommend me a (British) Summer Glove... Reply with quote

When I bought all my kit i got some Held goretex full on thermal gloves, simply because they were half price.

Absolutely brilliant deal and brilliant glove, but its becoming more and more obvious to me that I simply dont need that level of warmth, they would be great in January but not so much now.
In Spring / Summer / Autumn they are simply too thick and lack feel and too warm.

Ive been using some old Frank Thomas gloves that a friend from work gave me, I really like them, They are just the correct level of thickness to keep my hands warm enough but due to their age etc they arnt waterproof anymore although the tag says they should be.

Ive had a look on the internet and I cant find what im looking for so I thought id ask for recommendations.

What im after :

A Cool Summers day glove, in terms of warmth.
Waterproof
Normal Cuff legnth, ie not a short summer glove.

Other than that im not bothered,
not too fused about budget but I want decent protection.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ive had a look on sportsbikeshop but i cant seem to filter out what im after and looking through them without recommendation is a nightmare

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I just get plain, unlined leather ones that don't claim to be waterproof to avoid disappointment. Used in conjunction with heated grips if it gets cooler.

I was actually looking at some of Helds offerings the other day. Look good and comfy. The trouble is sizing. My current weise summer gloves are apparently 4XL. Now I know I'm a size 8 glove because I have to get surgical gloves for work so I don't know how that works.

As such, I reckon buying online is a no-no.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Meh. I just get plain, unlined leather ones that don't claim to be waterproof to avoid disappointment.

Same here. Summer gloves don't need to be waterproof. Even if you are out and get hit by a shower they will dry out quick enough. Stick a pair of waterproof ones under the seat if you must.

Alpinestars SP2 are my summer glove Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we're clear. Do you want

1) A glove that's British.
2) A glove suited to a typical summer in Britain.

??

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm days I use RST Urban Air 2.

Any other time I've rocking RST Blade WP. (They've been replaced by the "2" version at a price tag that's enough to make my eyes water. I'd see if you can sag any remaining stock from J&S or other stores if it takes your liking).

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:55 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If budget is not a consideration, then the Rukka Argosaurus will fit the bill perfectly. My brother is on his second pair and says they are outstanding (if costing mad dollah).

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/98207

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:11 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking recently at gloves and checked out these and these. I was thinking about getting the second option as they look better and I've already got some winter gloves with the cuff on them. Not sure though.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
If budget is not a consideration, then the Rukka Argosaurus will fit the bill perfectly. My brother is on his second pair and says they are outstanding (if costing mad dollah).

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/98207

I have a pair of those, and they are very nice.

However, they are a bit warm already and we aren't into full-on summer. I have a pair of non-waterproof kevlar-lined leather gloves for summer (Helstons), even they were a bit warm last year and I'm considering looking for some perforated ones.

If it looks like heavy rain (or at night when it's chilly) then I wear waterproof ones.

Summer is a bit of a pain for the right gear - at least in winter you just have to put on a load of layers and some waterproofs and you know you'll be fine. I pretty much wear the same every day. In summer you can cook or freeze, get soaked by sweat or soaked by rain, and constantly have to think about what to wear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:56 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
If budget is not a consideration, then the Rukka Argosaurus will fit the bill perfectly. My brother is on his second pair

What happened to the first pair?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zillions of gloves. I've ended wearing Halvarssons Newman gloves all (British) summer and winter.

It has something called outlast that keeps both the cold and the warmth out.

https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/halvarssons-newman-gloves.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpinestars GP Pro - Now superseded by the GP Pro2 I think.

Not cheap, no pretence at waterproofing, (I carry a waterproof pair) but the feel and lack of restriction is awesome.

NeilH
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:50 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like the big gauntlet looking gloves. My gloves only ever come up just past the wrist. And I prefer thinner gloves as I like to "feel" everything. Thick padded gloves make me feel like I'm not in control of the bike. A bit disconnected if you know what I mean.

However, I'm a fair weather biker. I don't need cold weather kit lol.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furygan Fit-Rs are my only glove at the moment. I've been wearing them since September. They're great. A bit cold and wet in winter, but mint in the summer. Still in surprisingly good condition too.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to buy a pair quite quickly recently, just as it was getting warmer. My preferred pair were clearly passed it, been crashed a couple of times - once on and once off road - and so a rushed, impulsive purchase beckoned.

I bought Racer Short Sport 2 gloves - at £70 I think they're a really pretty fucking shit pair of gloves. The back knuckle plastic protector is crap as it doesn't span the entire glove, and the goatskin or roo skin palm reinforcement also does not cover the entire palm. Oh and they say "RACER" on them - this is actually quite hilarious and gets a few laughs of those who notice it. So I suppose they do have comedic value. That said, I do not like them and I wished I had not bought them.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Weise Daytona which are short cuff, but they do a long cuff variant called the Tornado, neither are WP though...

https://www.mtcmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=72

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Furygan Fit-Rs are my only glove at the moment. I've been wearing them since September. They're great. A bit cold and wet in winter, but mint in the summer. Still in surprisingly good condition too.

They look nice but a wee bit expensive for me. I've got a pair of Furygan TD21 (short gloves) that are lovely.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For normal cooler summer days I use Rukka Rytmi, great fit, well made and have great feel.

If really warm I use Knox Orsa Textile, probably the most comfortable glove I have tried.

None have full length cuff, but ime long cuff is too warm in summer.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:42 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I just got mailed to me today. Feels and look great. Worth the price tag. Get them while they're on offer.
https://m.imgur.com/a/53wnj
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236912

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:18 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
This is what I just got mailed to me today. Feels and look great. Worth the price tag. Get them while they're on offer.

I would be careful about ordering A* gloves without trying on, ive never been able to get my hand in a pair, well i have but they were too big, according to the manager in infinity Glasgow im not alone and many cant get A* gloves over their knuckles, shame coz their stuff is well made.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:53 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

I would be careful about ordering A* gloves without trying on, ive never been able to get my hand in a pair, well i have but they were too big, according to the manager in infinity Glasgow im not alone and many cant get A* gloves over their knuckles, shame coz their stuff is well made.

It was perfect for me, my thumb and pinky have a little room to grow, but not much though. Just measured the palm circumfrence and got a Large.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:31 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

It was perfect for me, my thumb and pinky have a little room to grow, but not much though. Just measured the palm circumfrence and got a Large.

Oh I'm sure they for plenty of folk, but the ones I can get my hand into are too big once on, in my size I cannot get into them, I must have tried about 4-5 different models, I thought it was just me, but according to someone who sells these all day long I'm not alone, was just a heads up.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wearing alpinestars SP-8 on token hot days, and some IXS goretex (I think now discontinued) but not particularly insulated gloves in weather between light drizzle and requiring thermal underwear.

Goretex if you want waterproof, you hands are where you will notice good membrane technology the most.

On a hot day you will want vented leather and no membrane

Alpinestars and IXS fit slender fingers. If you have sausage hands Hein Gericke mihgt be worth a look.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my summer gloves came from Aldi, lasted longest out of all my gloves

water resistant but not waterproof but they dry out fairly quick
ISHANLEE2017 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2