Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Samsung Phone Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Samsung Phone Help Reply with quote

I'll try to keep this short.

Got a Samsung Galaxy Ace II on PAYG, the service provider is Virgin and the bundle is mostly data and texts.

Fairly recently, it's started burning data like it's going out of fashion, eg, I put fiver on it at 8am Thursday, by Friday morning I'm getting texts telling me I'm running low on credit - checked my usage online (keep in mind I don't do anything 'outgoing') and it's doing what I assume is updating type stuff, free of charge, but at around 8.30am it does something that costs £2.00.

All my online bill tells me is how much data has been used (this item is no different to any other) and how much it cost.

Is there any way that a smartfone technophobe such as myself, can interrogate the phone and find out what app is doing this?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:42 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data
It should give you a breakdown of what has used data and how much.
Getting to that specific setting may vary from phone to phone (I don't have a Samsung and I'm not familiar with their TouchWiz system) but it should be there or thereabouts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just what are you doing on your phone? *** Proberly the most important bit of info people need *** Rolling Eyes

Is it set to WiFi when a connection available? Or is it still using your data?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn off mobile data till you need it, you have clicked on a iffy Facebook link from the sounds of it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you turned download booster on by mistake?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
So just what are you doing on your phone? *** Proberly the most important bit of info people need *** Rolling Eyes

Is it set to WiFi when a connection available? Or is it still using your data?

As I said in the OP, I do very little with it.

Wi-fi is turned on, packet data is also on, data roaming is off.

I rarely make calls, I send the odd text, but it mostly gets used for keeping in touch with one person, via Facebook Messenger, but I don't look at Facebook itself.

I don't use it to browse the internet, unless I'm out and I need to look up something specific, like an address.

I can't find anything in the settings that allows me to look at specific instances of data usage, or what my update schedule might look like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:36 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Samsung Phone Help Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
eg, I put fiver on it at 8am Thursday, by Friday morning I'm getting texts telling me I'm running low on credit - checked my usage online (keep in mind I don't do anything 'outgoing') and it's doing what I assume is updating type stuff, free of charge, but at around 8.30am it does something that costs £2.00.

How much data are you buying for £5?

To find out what's using your data, if you're using Android, go to settings > data usage > cellular data usage.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this with Samsung and with Apple. Go to Settings and switch off mobile data for any specific app you don't use daily. Location Services too. They seem to look for updates and charge you for it. With Samsung it was mainly Google sapping funds. With Apple close the background apps (double-click the home button and swipe away). I'm sure it's all deliberate robbery.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tariff are you on?

PAYG or Contract.

Given you usage it maybe worth going to a contract.
30 day rolling £6.00 a month = 300 mins, unlimited text, 600 MB 4G data. But this includes the quote below Smile

Quote:
Message on WhatsApp and
Facebook Messenger without using up your data

[url=https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html] Linky [url]

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:16 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5GB of 4G data.
250 minutes.
5,000 text.
30 day rolling contract.

£5 per month.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
1.5GB of 4G data.
250 minutes.
5,000 text.
30 day rolling contract.

£5 per month.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

That's a fairly sexy deal. Currently paying £10 p/m for 4GB, 500 mins/unlimited texts but that ID one would be better (even if the data amount would be a bit tight). BT often have variations on the same offer though, and you get a load of amazon/itunes vouchers.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I've had this with Samsung and with Apple. Go to Settings and switch off mobile data for any specific app you don't use daily. Location Services too. They seem to look for updates and charge you for it. With Samsung it was mainly Google sapping funds. With Apple close the background apps (double-click the home button and swipe away). I'm sure it's all deliberate robbery.

That's the impression I get, especially after I called Virgin today and they refunded my 4 quid, but couldn't tell me which app it is that's causing the problem.

This seems a bit odd to me, as they know how much data each individual connection uses and can differentiate between what's chargeable and what isn't.

To others who have suggested a change of tariff, firstly, for various reasons, I can't change to a contract, I'm stuck with PAYG.

Secondly, it's not the amount of data usage that's the issue, it's a particular service that, for whatever reason, is not free and seems to be scheduled to take place in a specific window of time.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:12 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
To find out what's using your data, if you're using Android, go to settings > data usage > cellular data usage.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ste wrote:

And when I go to settings, the is no heading or subgroup that seems to give me that information.

I can have storage usage, running services, or I can find out what apps are running, but there's nothing I can find that tells me what has used what and when.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:24 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far do you get when going settings > wireless and networks > data usage > cellular data usage?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless and networks, nothing in there about data usage

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
To others who have suggested a change of tariff, firstly, for various reasons, I can't change to a contract, I'm stuck with PAYG.

GiffGaff isn't a contract, you buy a 'bundle' of mins/data/txts which last 30 days: https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:00 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if your on Android 7:
Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile data usage
Then scroll down. You can stop background data being used app by app bases. You can also set a limit, a billing cycle and a data usage warning.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Android version 2.3.6, if that helps

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:52 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ermmmmm, well it might be trying to update the version of Android to Jelly Bean. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:53 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Samsung Phone Help Reply with quote

And:
Ste wrote:

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Samsung Phone Help Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
And:
Ste wrote:

That doesn't seem to be relevant, data is being used for free, either side of the incident that costs me 2 quid, so I'm not running up against any sort of buffer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:41 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well okay, don't tell us how much data it is. Laughing

40% of the data is being used up with the mystery £2 so knowing how much you've bought for £5 will give some context as to how much data we're talking about.

"data is being used for free" wtf? Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what I mean is, if I look at my bill, there's a couple of dozen instances of 'using the internet' - the amount of data used by each instance ranges from 6KB to 343KB and the chargeable item was 41KB, which appears in the middle.

So I'm not being charged because I've used too much data in a single instance, or because I've got to my limit, because there are substantially larger single use instances and instances that occur after the offending item.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:42 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use WiFi, I assume home + office, just disable the data side of it.

Having said that, 2.3.6 has no data usage monitor, use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&hl=en but download over WiFi obviously.

That will show whats being used, personally though, if you have wifi in work/home, you'll be driving the other times so no need for data Thumbs Up

Also, I'm rarely on data as I work over WiFi at work and home, however check my usage for Messenger and Google Services...

https://i.imgur.com/h7ecipbl.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1