BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mozzy1113
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:16 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I've been away for a few days so I haven't been online to check this thread.

Ok, I'll be honest you have all made me feel a bit better about the whole thing. I kind of half expected everyone on here to say something along the lines of "Well if it just didn't feel right, it's not for you" or "You know if you're suited to it straight away when you sit on the bike" or something similar. It's just that everyone I know who has already done their CBT to seemed to really enjoy it, and even if they didn't pick it up straight away, it never seemed to feel so "awkward" like it did it with me. Its the fact that riding the bike felt so "unnatural" to me that threw me off, not just the fact I didn't sail through it. Meh, maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Guess I can only give it another go Thumbs Up Very Happy

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking comes naturally to very few people. It is something you have to work at but after a while it clicks and gets easier and then the more you do it the better you get at it.

I've used many tactics to try and relate students who struggle with their bikes and one of the best ones that works is one of the least PC ones. So have a read, have a laugh and hopefully you can relate to it.

Doing a CBT and getting on a bike the first time is like the first time you have sex with the girlfriend/boyfriend. You are gentle gentle, touchy feely getting to know what each other likes. You are feeling the bike, the bike is feeling you and you will both respond accordingly. The more gentle you are the more the bike is going to respond positively.

Give it 6 months and you'll have the machine bent over, slapping its arse and wiping it on the curtains after but for now, first night of passion.

Oddly enough it works very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:19 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Analogy comparing biking to dating

....not to mention they can be high maintenance, bleed your wallet dry and can hurt like fcuk when things go pear shaped.

Come to think of it, biking is A LOT like dating! Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozzy1113 wrote:
Its the fact that riding the bike felt so "unnatural" to me that threw me off

Me too. I was frazzled by the time we'd finished the off-road parts, skipped the road ride and went back for a 2nd try at it.

Even with no riding in between, going back rested and with some time for my brain to assimilate it, it felt so much easier.

I'm so glad I stuck with it, riding is just ace.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT within one day, even though I shouldn't have. I wouldn't have signed myself off, but they did. I think, largely, because it was the first day of a DAS course and they didn't want to hold things up.

For me the worst day was DAS day 2 - all day playing with the traffic on a 125. I felt way out of my depth and spent most of my day riding around with an indicator going, accidentally doing clutchless gearchanges. By the time I got on to the "big" bikes on day 3 I was more comfortable with the controls and it all started to slowly fall into place. I failed my first test on a stupid mistake but by then I knew I could ride and it was just a case of giving it another go, so although I was annoyed, there was no danger of me chucking it all in at that point. Clean-sheet on 2nd attempt. Should have kept a copy as a souvenir.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozzy1113 wrote:

Guess I can only give it another go Thumbs Up Very Happy

Good stuff, let us know how you get on!!!
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nachtjenevel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:45 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

Mozzy1113 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm 27 years old and I've been driving a car for 8 years. ...

Is there any point in giving it another go? Or does the fact that I just didn't "feel" it a good sign that a bike isn't for me? I'm gutted, I thought I would just pick it up straight away. I passed my car test first time, no problems (although I know that obviously a riding bike is very different to driving a car).

Any advice or pointers would be helpful.

I, too, didn't pass my CBT the first time. Like you, I couldn't believe that, as a car driver of 35 years, I just couldn't seem to get my hands and feet and head and body and bike to coordinate well enough to do what I wanted them to do. I kept taking the string of instructions I was being given and trying to carry them out while simultaneously trying to come to grips with how to handle the bike and .. I couldn't do it. Like you, I left feeling very inadequate and questioning whether I should even try again.

Every time I got into my car after that I pretended to double-tap the turn signal button to turn it off (on the steering wheel - LOL!). I made the same foot movements I would make to change gears on the bike after I made them in my car. I practiced making lifesaver looks over my shoulder(s) at every turn and roundabout, and when I was changing lanes in the car. I paid attention to how often I checked my car mirrors. I paid attention to bikes on the road to see how they rode, when they checked their mirrors, when they did lifesavers, where they positioned themselves on the road, how they handled traffic at roundabouts, etc. And I booked back in for my CBT.

This time, at the CBT, I had already had that previous day of riding in the yard on their bikes, and I had been practicing the moves and movements that I would be making on the bike in my car. I felt a lot more comfortable and relaxed about it, and I hopped on the bike and had fun! I passed without any problems at all.

This would be my advice for you. You want to ride, so go for it! Get back on that bike - book yourself back in, take the day of experience you got at your first CBT as a good training opportunity, and get back in there and do it! You'll likely be just fine the second time around.

Good luck!!

~ Sian
(Kawasaki Eliminator 125 and lovin' it!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

nachtjenevel wrote:
Every time I got into my car after that I pretended to double-tap the turn signal button to turn it off (on the steering wheel - LOL!). I made the same foot movements I would make to change gears on the bike after I made them in my car. I practiced making lifesaver looks over my shoulder(s) at every turn and roundabout, and when I was changing lanes in the car. I paid attention to how often I checked my car mirrors. I paid attention to bikes on the road to see how they rode, when they checked their mirrors, when they did lifesavers, where they positioned themselves on the road, how they handled traffic at roundabouts, etc. And I booked back in for my CBT.

Having completed my CBT earlier this year, i also did (and still do) as above, and like the above i too am a long term car driver

I thought it would be to my benefit being a car driver and having the road sense on the road section, but i think 20 years driving cars had ingrained the muscle memory to a point where i was really having the think hard about each and every movement when on a bike

I did complete my CBT first time (just), but had to be read the riot act on our final stint back the training centre that i needed to cancel at least 9 out 10 of my indicators after junctions or i would have been asked back for more training

I am only a fair weather rider, so don't get as much practice as i would like (bloody British weather), but that is where the above practice when driving comes into it's own, and i am now a much more confident rider because of it

Just trying to save up for my DAS now, and hope to get booked in mid/late Summer

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

nachtjenevel wrote:
Every time I got into my car after that.... I practiced making lifesaver looks over my shoulder(s) at every turn and roundabout, and when I was changing lanes in the car. I paid attention to how often I checked my car mirrors. I paid attention to bikes on the road to see how they rode, when they checked their mirrors, when they did lifesavers, where they positioned themselves on the road, how they handled traffic at roundabouts, etc.

Hopefully you still do that as it's undoubtedly improved your ability as a car driver.

nachtjenevel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:48 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

[quote="Alpineandy"]
nachtjenevel wrote:

Hopefully you still do that as it's undoubtedly improved your ability as a car driver.

I do, actually. I've driven all over Turkey, Europe, the US, Canada, Ireland, and the UK, and while I've always looked out for bikes I had no real sense of what it was like, how much concentration, awareness, and double- and triple-checking were required of bikers. I considered myself an excellent driver before I took my CBT, but the CBT has definitely improved my awareness and car driving skills. Happy byproduct! Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

nachtjenevel wrote:
I considered myself an excellent driver

Most do.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation, once you have got the hang of it, you won't forget. I taught myself back in the 80's the falling
off and getting back on hard way, there was no CBT then you see. Cue a 20+ year break from riding for various reasons
and then a return to bikes when I was 40 and it was as if I hadn't had the break. Once you've programmed yourself with
the necessary skills to ride motorcycles, they should stay with you. When my wife did her CBT as a bike virgin after completing
CBT she also says that her car driving and general observation on the road has improved.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If it's any consolation, once you have got the hang of it, you won't forget. I taught myself back in the 80's the falling
off and getting back on hard way, there was no CBT then you see. Cue a 20+ year break from riding for various reasons
and then a return to bikes when I was 40 and it was as if I hadn't had the break. Once you've programmed yourself with
the necessary skills to ride motorcycles, they should stay with you.

Agreed. I was riding until I was 19 and returned to bikes properly just before I was 40, and I wasn't phased by it at all

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:35 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
nachtjenevel wrote:
I considered myself an excellent driver

Most do.

93% of drivers are better than average. Folded arms

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:05 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Didn't pass CBT first time - Advice? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

93% of drivers are better than average. Folded arms

And 95% of other drivers are idiots .

That adds up right? Thinking

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:34 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my CBT and dropped the bike (brand new cbf) stalled twice and was all over the place. I would have never signed myself off but because I was buying a bike from the training center they cleared me, now I wouldn't ever recommend the training center to anyone. The next evening I went very slowly to a small quiet hill and spent a good 3 hours going up and down it, doing hill starts and turns. I spent the next month or so feeling I had cheated the system and that I shouldn't be on the road so being the over cautious guy I am, I rode only at quiet times and away from traffic, a month or so later I'm filtering and going everywhere on the bike, I do genuinely believe there is a moment when first riding that all of a sudden it clicks and a light bulb comes on, you suddenly understand the bike and how to use it to its potential. Perseverance and using your brain really pays off.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:09 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:
now I wouldn't ever recommend the training center to anyone.

Apparently you wouldn't warn anyone about it either.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:
When I did my CBT and dropped the bike (brand new cbf) stalled twice and was all over the place. I would have never signed myself off but because I was buying a bike from the training center they cleared me, now I wouldn't ever recommend the training center to anyone. The next evening I went very slowly to a small quiet hill and spent a good 3 hours going up and down it, doing hill starts and turns. I spent the next month or so feeling I had cheated the system and that I shouldn't be on the road so being the over cautious guy I am, I rode only at quiet times and away from traffic, a month or so later I'm filtering and going everywhere on the bike, I do genuinely believe there is a moment when first riding that all of a sudden it clicks and a light bulb comes on, you suddenly understand the bike and how to use it to its potential. Perseverance and using your brain really pays off.

Cool story bro. Anywho.... I wonder if OP ever went back and tried again?

Cronik
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:28 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know how to change gears 'smoothly' even on the 2nd day going out on the road. I stalled 12 times, took 3 wrong turns, ran a red light and then received the verbal from a fat hells-angel. He said he was BORDERLINE whether to give me it or not. I looked him in the eyes and jerked my head forward in menacing fashion and walked out with my CBT entitlement.

Here I am 2000 miles, 2 dead geriatrics and a smiley face keyring later.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Jeez the standard for 'passing' your CBT's low Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrrrrrrhhhhh
Cronics back

Which sock vanished this week then

Cronik
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:34 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Arrrrrrrrhhhhh
Cronics back

Which sock vanished this week then

Just the one that sat within the clenched enamel sticks of your virtual drivel-spewer.

"Puddersockinit"

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my CBT today... Got about 3/4 through the day and said to the instructor I just didnt feel ready or safe and he should go ahead on the road with the others. He persevered and I did the road practice... tbh it felt a lot better on the road but I am not sure I would have passed me. I suppose although I was making mistakes, I was quickly and safely rectifying them. I was far from perfect.

He said a second day was included in the price if needed which is good - but gives them an incentive to pass on the first day... At least by passing I can find a quiet space and just go round and round starting and stopping till it comes naturally which is what I think I need.

Just do a second day if needed. Great to know your limits - many a fool cut down from over confidence... V surprised if anyone with no road or bike experience is genuinely safe after only one day - it was hard work, but fun when it flowed Smile

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:12 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back for a 2nd day myself. (I had never ever sat on a motorbike before my CBT & the first day of training) Simply due to the fact that I struggled believe it or not, with the slalom; and letting the clutch out too quick when we learnt how to pull off.

Kept hitting cones and by the time i conquered it; it was late in afternoon so left the road ride bit out. Also, it'd been such a lot to take in, my head was fried. I gladly took the offer of coming back.

At the end of the training when we spoke about coming back following week, my instructor said that because you know what to expect, your brain has taken it in and it is not a "new" experience per se, your riding will be much better as the anxiety and nerves are not as bad. He was right, 2nd day was like id been riding for ages.

He even remarked that he refused to believe I'd never ridden before and the first day of training was a twin brother lol

Definitely give it another go, 100%
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2