Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

May 2017 new registration statistics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: May 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201705-May-2017.pdf

tl;dr summary - not as bad as April.

Still parlous sales of 125s, but we calculated that was expected based on the huge glut of pre-reggers in December 2016.

650-1000 sales are actually up helped by a stonking month for Triumph. Bonny Bobbers, Triple Rs, a strong 3rd place behind the usual suspects and comfortably ahead of the Hun.

No big surprises elsewhere. Kawasaki had a good month with plenty os Z1000SX sales, and even Suzuki had a decent showing (by Suzuki standards).

Honda for once got the top "supersport" slot with the CBR125R - nobody laugh - and CMX500 Rebel is a decent seller: wow such anarchy, very b-b-b-bad. Whistle

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:40 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how many of those Suzuki sales are the new gixxers, i'd expect it to be the majority of them.

There's no other bike that they do that could sell/register that many in a month.

Could pre-reg other models but they'd be lucky to sell them this year.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and the usual SALE! SALE! "FREE" LUGGAGE! SALE! on V-Stroms.

I'll be interesting to see if they manage to sustain sales after everybody who was just bursting to get a new Gixxer has shot their PCP load on one.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is Suzuki going to launch the 125 Gixxer? I want to see if the Gixxer brand is still alive with the 17 year olds of today or will the money stay with the Yamaha YZF?

Oh, and weren't Triumph testing their own 125 as well?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:38 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When is Suzuki going to launch the 125 Gixxer?

It's looking like they'll launch at the end of summer, just when everyone stops buying. Suzuki. Rolling Eyes

Polarbear wrote:
I want to see if the Gixxer brand is still alive with the 17 year olds of today or will the money stay with the Yamaha YZF?

It could do well just on brand name. They're also shouting about the power-to-weight being best in class, which might count for something.

Having said that, the ~13hp CBR125R has finally outsold the ~15hp YZF-R125 this month, so perhaps it comes down to price and 0% finance (which they shouldn't be offering to 17 year olds, but Shhh!).

Polarbear wrote:

It's been touted for years, but nothing has ever emerged.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Street Single?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Street Single?

More of a back street or cul-de-sac single I would expect. Rolling Eyes

I can see Triumphs idea to get the learners hooked on the brand and keep them but they won't be able to keep their standards and financially compete. Look at Honda, their 125 is pretty universally slated.

Triumph, stay the same as BMW, Harley and Ducati. Make just big boys bikes and leave the 125 class to the Chinese. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the newer more grown up CBR than the wannabe R6 YZF as the CBR has a bit of a better quality look/finish to it, and looks more VFR and comfy than an arse up head down son of R6. (God what an old bastard I sound writing that) Laughing

Triumph could do a 125 with a bought in engine, but it wouldn't be cheap, and maybe they've seen the lack of success that KTM have had with their range of 125,200, and 390cc sports bikes. I doubt Triumph want to try where a young edgy KTM did and failed?

What I don't get is how they get away with selling the very serious supermoto 125's for road use in Italy all with (cough 15bhp). I think when we've brexited Mrs May needs to change the 125 licence laws for the UK, so we can all have KTM, TM, Fantic, and Husqvarna 125's while they are still being made no matter how irrelevant and obsolete they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:22 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF: breaking stories for you two days before Motorcycle "News". Whistle

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Pft, got this on an email from MCIA on Thursday-ish. Razz

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Can't help but feel there should be a 'so what' to that story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:00 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like how they haven't crunched the numbers to realise that there's still some 125s left from the December 2016 pre-reg-o-gasm.

Hope they haven't give up their day jobs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1