Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What can I say – I missed your sassy asses (helmet query)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: What can I say – I missed your sassy asses (helmet query) Reply with quote

Er... Hi guys!
I know you probably didn't miss me much.
But I'm back. And idly skimming over the forums again.
And being all green-eyed reading about your fun rides, and modifications, and general bikery.

And envious of every bike I've seen on the road during the glorious weather we've been having. And even some of the not-so-nice weather.

So it's time to fix the bike. I've got all the parts. It's just a matter of womaning up and actually taking tools to bolts.

Wish me luck! If you'd be so inclined..

In the meantime:
After my spill my boyfriend has offered to replace my helmet as a birthday present, since he doesn't like the idea of me getting back on the bike without a new one (seeing as his mate was recently killed on a ride Crying or Very sad I'm amazed he's helping me get back on the bike at all). I had an X-Lite which was brilliant, and would replace like-for-like, but can't find one. My eye was caught by a Tron-like Scorpion helmet
https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/media/3678/3678.original.jpg
How do you guys rate these? It's about half the price of my last helmet and I know price!=quality, but I don't want to get a cheap piece of uselessness either...

Cheers!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A girl I've ridden with a couple of times has a Scorpion and rates hers but I have no experience of them personally, don't suit my head shape.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I know price!=quality"

Maybe but the most important point is always how well it fits you.

The helmet which will offer you the most protection in a crash is the one which fits you the best. Therefore you want to go to some shops to try on as many lids as possible and make your decision based on that. Don't just find somewhere where you can try on that Scorpion lid and a couple of others.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:15 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Air 500 is Sharp 4* rated, and presumably the 510 is just a minor respin or rebrand, so there's no safety reason not to get it if it fits.

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:28 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: What can I say – I missed your sassy asses (helmet query Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:

How do you guys rate these? It's about half the price of my last helmet and I know price!=quality, but I don't want to get a cheap piece of uselessness either...

Cheers!

I bought the EXO 710 AIR last year. It has served me well over the
last 10 months. It still looks as good as new, so I hope to get a
few years out of it.

My review is here:
https://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/scorpion.html

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said; Fit, above all is the most important factor.

So on that basis, go to a shop, try some on and find out for yourself.

Take the shop-assistant's advice with a large pinch of salt as there's no telling whether they actually know what they're talking about.
My current helmet is one size too small and I bloody well knew it when I bought it, but for some reason I still felt obliged to follow the shop-assistant's advice. I'm now stuck with £200 helmet that's mildly uncomfortable to wear.

YOU are the judge of good fit. Not somebody yanking a helmet around your bonce trying to secure a sale.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:06 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
My current helmet is one size too small and I bloody well knew it when I bought it, but for some reason I still felt obliged to follow the shop-assistant's advice. I'm now stuck with £200 helmet that's mildly uncomfortable to wear.

Pull the padding out and carve away at the giblets until it fits. Sand it smooth. Get on with your life until you die horribly because that 2mm of polystyrene would have made all the difference.

Source: removed a tight spot from one of my lids this way. Inevitable death has been evited to date.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pull the padding out and carve away at the giblets until it fits. Sand it smooth. Get on with your life until you die horribly because that 2mm of polystyrene would have made all the difference.

Source: removed a tight spot from one of my lids this way. Inevitable death has been evited to date.

Is there any sort of Borg-disclaimer with that advice? Or are my hopes for "whiplash-compo-sue your ass" very much futile?

Problem with my helmet is that it's ALL too small. And its natural resting position is annoying in both comfort and line of sight which has me gurning like it's 1995 in order to adjust the comfort levels.

BUT issues aside, it is the Shark SKWAL which means it has LED in it and that makes me feel good Mr. Green (at least it did when they all worked, the battery life was worthwhile and I actually rode at night)

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

She must have been at least an 8/10 to make you feel obliged to make the purchase? How many more helmets have you been in to buy while you build up the courage to ask for her number.

Any chance its a helmet city in Chichester? Bit of a looker in there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Is there any sort of Borg-disclaimer with that advice?

You're guaranteed to die, but I won't promise a timescale.

haroman666 wrote:
Problem with my helmet is that it's ALL too small.

Then carve it all away.

Bear in mind that many helmets come in a limited number of shell sizes, and just stick different amounts of EPS inside. So you can rationalise that you're not doing anything different from what the helmet manufacturers would have done.

The other suggestion that I've seen is to compress the EPS with the back of a spoon, but I (genuinely) wouldn't do that since solidifying it will actually help to transfer energy through to your bonce.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: helmet query Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
My eye was caught by a Tron-like Scorpion helmet
How do you guys rate these?

Scorpion are a decent brand but as others have said, that doesn't mean a thing if the helmet doesn't fit properly.
Go and try some on.
Some will fit your shape of head better than others.
Then if you want input, you can ask about the specific helmets that do fit, rather than the ones that just look cool...

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new biker I don't have much (anything) to compare it to, but I've got that exact helmet and it suits me very well.

The 5 ventilation flaps are good for de-misting my glasses* and it has a nice drop-down sun visor inside. All of these things are easily locatible with gloved hands.

As for fitting your head size, the lining can be inflated or deflated with a couple of buttons inside the helmet. Having said that, I contantly have it on the lowest inflation and I still feel like my jaw is a bit compressed after an hour-long ride. It's not painful, it's just a strange ache, as if a mildly angry nanny is holding your chin to gain your attention.

*I'm still not sure why I bought a pin-lock when my glasses are going to mist-up long before my visor ever does.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 00:06 - 16 Jun 2017; edited 5 times in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
I'm still not sure why I bought a pin-lock when my glasses are going to mist-up long before my visor ever does.

You can get anti-fog stuff for your glasses.
Although I found it only worked properly if I followed the directions exactly... which is a bit of a 'faff'.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
I'm still not sure why I bought a pin-lock when my glasses are going to mist-up long before my visor ever does.

You can get anti-fog stuff for your glasses.
Although I found it only worked properly if I followed the directions exactly... which is a bit of a 'faff'.

Thanks, I'll look out for it Smile (no pun intended)

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:24 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Obvs a proper fit is necessary – liked the X-Lite, tried on loads of helmets to find it in the first place. Shame it has to go – and in less than a year. Crying or Very sad

When buying for fit I tend to go for the following:
- does it slide about (side to side); if yes, then too big
- does it slide up (or down) over my forehead; if yes, as above
- does it crush my face (rarely does this ever happen - I have a small head); too small
- does it start giving me a headache within 2 minutes of wearing it (as above)
- can I get my glasses on once it's on
- does it feel like I'm wearing a bowling ball on my head (ie: is it too heavy - this was the fantastic thing about the X-lite; it actually was light!)

If it has a sufficient amount of chipmunk face (because, be honest, it does have to be a snug fit) and doesn't make me feel like I'm a bobble head, then I find it's a good fit. I did try on a couple Scorpions when I was at the shop and one fit perfectly and one seemed a bit big. Sales gal said it was due to loads of people trying it on, and of course the style I was interested in they didn't have in stock. Hence the query as I would have to put a special order in.

Am I missing anything re: fit? I agree with haroman666 about being skeptical of the sales people.

PS ~ thanks for the links. That Sharp thing is handy!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1