Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best value WiFi Router with mesh

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Best value WiFi Router with mesh Reply with quote

Does anybody have one?

I'm wanting to cover 7 rooms downstairs and 6 rooms upstairs with a seamless handover (thanks Scaredy Cat Smile ). Not wanting to have extenders as they all seem to require different network names and it's a PITA.

I'm looking for quality/reliability/ease of setup.

Not interested in BT or Google products as they piss me off.

If any one has one and can recommend it- or not - please let me know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the BT hub? I'm not liking the latest one (5 I think) they sent after upgrading to fibre, it's sluggish when connecting especially over wi-fi. These settings are meant to help but I've not tried them yet, if the internet goes down for 30 seconds in my house it's like a national disaster Rolling Eyes

One thing I've never understood about BT's how they can apparently share your connection (with other BT customers) without impacting on your service.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, do you need truly seamless handover ie zero interruption, or are you happy with automatic switching to the AP with the strongest signal. I ask because there's a big difference in price.

For clarity, you'd want seamless handover for example, if you were mid VOIP call wandering about your house and didn't want the call to drop. Or watching a movie while moving from room to room. In reality it's a rare thing to need.

If you don't need it then:

You could use Ubiquiti Unifi APs along with the free software (stand alone admin devices are also available) to manage them on your PC and set the min RSSI values for each AP in your house appropriately. What would happen is the client would stay connected until the signal level dropped below the min RSSI. When it did that would cause clients to re-associate with the strongest signal they could see. All APs use the same SSID/password so it's automatic as far as the device is concerned.

Typically what happens with multiple AP's with the same SSID / password is a device will cling onto any signal it has and never let go, even if there's a stronger signal with the same config. The Ubiquiti stuff forces the client to disconnect when that signal drops so you don't get that issue.

Not all repeaters are created equal either. Ubiquiti also have their Amplifi range. The meshpoint has 2 radios* and will extend any network (from any manufacturer).

* 2 radios because 1 connects to your original AP and the other acts as an AP for your client devices.

If you want true seamless
you'll be looking at something like Ruckus and £££.

I you have a Wifi Scanner app on your phone, wander about your house and look at the signal levels in the rooms. That'll give you a rough idea how many APs you might want.

As a side note, if you have a BT Homehub that will be the primary cause of any issues you're having with repeaters or other APs. BT make their routers use the entire 80MHz frequency rage so they basically shit on any other APs - Those homehubs are truly shite.

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:56 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses...

M.C wrote:
Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the BT hub?

I'm not bothered so much anymore by the fact any BT customer can use the HH5 (well, not anymore), I'm more concerned at the security flaws. A quick change of a local MAC address allows any previously blocked device the ability to connect. Also, the port forwarding 'capability' is rubbish.

ScaredyCat wrote:
For clarity, you'd want seamless handover for example, if you were mid VOIP call wandering about your house

Seamless handover would be desired but not explicit. 90% of my calls are international and done VOIP, so minimal disruption is essential if I decide to wander from room to room, outside for a smoke etc...

The meshpoint looks interesting, maybe one upstairs and one downstairs in the furthest room(s) from the router... Thinking

Saying that though, is there standalone router that could offer better coverage in the 200 to 300 quid price range? Each manufacturer states their routers are the best, but a recommendation goes a long way Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracks wrote:

Saying that though, is there standalone router that could offer better coverage in the 200 to 300 quid price range? Each manufacturer states their routers are the best, but a recommendation goes a long way Thumbs Up

If you want to solve the problem, there's no magic router that can use EIRP that's greater than any other, that's available in the UK and legally usable. EIRP has a max value in the UK (and Europe). If it could be legally set higher in the UK, then every manufacturer would make it higher. This is another reason that the BT adverts are a load of shite.

Getting you somewhere close you could use the Amplifi kit that comes with a little router and 2 meshpoints. You can add more meshpoints to it as well.. So that might be a way to help get a better signal in other rooms.

The only alternative would be to set your country to Boliva* on a device, jack the power right up on the device and wait for a knock on the door from Ofcom when your neighbour complains.

*Bolivia don't have limitations.

Ruckus kit will definitely solve your problem though but it's nowhere near your £300 price range.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your current router located in the property ?
moving the router to a central point could stop any issues.

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:03 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Where is your current router located in the property ?
moving the router to a central point could stop any issues.

It's in the hallway which servers both sides of the house and upstairs. I may go and get a new router anyway as the BT one is really rubbish.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1