BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Going back Reply with quote

Re-visiting bikes from your past, is nostalgia over rated? Fancy a bike from my back catalogue but am un-decided. Now to further complicate things, this would be moving from a 2003 Ducati 749s to a 2009/10 blade, so an upgrade in power but to my mind not necessarily in character, however not all the "character" of the Ducati is positive.

The blade was a bike I rode all the way to Slovenia and back, a bike I loved but had to move on to free up some cash.

I appreciate its subjective but am indecisive and would appreciate other peoples experiences.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather the Blade than the Ducati. Both are so modern I don't think nostalgia comes into it, but I get what you're saying. If you'd be OK financially I'd say go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Ninja 250 briefly when I was on my 25kW license, before cheaping out with a Gpz305 instead.

So it was partially recapturing my lost innocence (awww) which encouraged me to take a look at one again last year. I'm very glad I did, I'm having a great laugh on it.

If you have happy memories, why not go for it. If you're grinning you're winning, and worst case, bikes aren't that hard to sell on.

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:27 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=" If you're grinning you're winning, and worst case, bikes aren't that hard to sell on.[/quote]

Good point well made

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it then why not. I've added my GSXR400 and GT200 to the stable purely cause of rose tinted specs but I like both bikes and they shouldn't lose money.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case as already said there's no nostalgia involved at all, only a regretted sale. I lol'd hard when you said you'd like to go back to a 2010 Blade. That's yesterday to me!

I generally wouldn't have the interest enough to piss on a 2010> bike, but because of that I'm not the best person to give you advice here. Its not really nostalgia, but then to you it might be if you started riding a decade ago on then current bikes. It would need to be a 98-99 Blade to get me even twitchy with interest maybe?

But generally a nostalgia going back years purchase is good if you go back 20years or more, and have had one before, or even unfinished business with an ex bike you never got to do what you wanted with first time around.

For me going back to a Kawasaki KMX has felt good, I still like them as much and enjoy working on it too. I'd had a TZR250 at the same time all those years ago, but being a baggy tatty example I never bonded with it as much. I'd only re-live the TZR engine in a TDR250 instead, as that's what I really wanted then instead.

There's many 125's that I never owned (mates bikes from back in the day) that I'd like too for the memories, but there is only one bike I could almost cry about having never owned but having chances to buy them when they cheaper. And it's a 387cc Honda that gets me in the throat even now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above.

My nostalgia is 70'and 80's bikes. 70's two stokes and 80's early inline 4's from Japan.

Although I'm a Triumph aficionado now, I never really got into the old Brits although I owned a dog BSA Rocket 3 and a BSA Starfire back then. Well before the silly money times.

I now have a 2000 Fazer 600 as well as my Trophy. Nostalgia? Laughing No, It's a cheap hack that I class as modern.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty hard to 'go-back' when I still have most of the bikes I have ever bought! The only ones to have escaped are a DT50 and an AR125, really... I have few rose tinted memories of the DT50, and would NOT wish to suffer one ever again!

The AR125 is another story; I actually woke up in the middle of a nightmare some months ago, in which I was arguing with my mother and Step-father over "When will you move this dam bike out of our garage!" which was a bit surreal... was actually the last place it was seen, quarter of a century ago, rather mangled, after getting it back of plod, before is-co came and took it away, and 'dream' argument was sort of a time slide, trying to explain that the bike had been taken away twenty five year ago, BUT on turning up to open shed and prove it was gone, being shown it sat there, NOT smashed and in bits, but whole, and having to ride it 'home'... i which 'dream' considered the conflict between now and twenty five years ago, and where in this surreality 'home' might be.....

When woke up, it DID sort of suggest I might miss the poor little thing; but I also recall I had been riding it for almost a year beyond my full licence, getting ever more blase about how hard I ragged it, and convinced that if I carried on, I WOULD probably kill myself on it... and revisiting teen-dreams, I actually took a tangent and got that Yamaha Enduro to restore to do 'different', and when that went west, looked at alternative teen dreams by way of the KR1S I had wanted when I was 19, and the Moto-Guzzi GT1000 had also rather aspired to, to do something I HADN'T done, rather than re-do something I had....

So no, really little drive to re-visit bikes that WERE part of my past... and aren't any-more.... I mean, I have had my Montesa Cota for over 30 years, since was 15! Its still part of my present! The VF-Thou that was a large chunk of my pre-married life, is still here, too... and probably beyond hope of redemption, and have ever less enthusiasm to restore it, or get another, now.

About the only one I am occasionally tempted by is an air-cooled RD250. I had wire-wheel '77 example... a very BAD example, I had circa 1986, that I never really got to do any miles on; It was an abomination, with far too many twit-attempts at tuning when it was L-Plate eligible! A pig to start, tended to only run on one pot until 6K then went mental! And was quickly traded on, as I had no real use for it! That would similarly not so much be going 'back' to something I have done, but something that bike didn't give me the chance; either to do a full ad proper resto, or experience a well sorted example of the breed.

In a similar vain, I did pull a Vespa 90 out of a scrap heat when was a school-boy; a motorcycle of MUCH wonder... I spent most of my time taking it to bits and putting t back together 'Wondering' how such a fundamentally flawed design could ever 'work' let alone be hailed as a design icon! I never actually got to ride that one... my Grandad had stolen it's front wheel from the same scrap-heap for his wheel-barrow, and I got into a LOT of trouble, after I got the Vespa running, and tried to borrow it back! Again occasionally have 'second chance' pangs, but usually looking at PX200's rather than 90's!

Closest I actually came to one was spotting one on e-bay with a side-car, which just bowled me over, as SUCH an automotive anathma; I mean not only has it got wheels too small, and the engine in the wrong place, AND not even on the same axis, SOME-ONE had chucked a CHAIR on the side to go the whole hog of utterly unreasonable compromises! For which reason alone, I just wanted to sample the thing!

But.... Motorbikes have no reverse gear.... you cant go backwards, just do something the same, differently, which, to my mind with SO much that could be done in biking has to be better of doing the same thing on something different but not as good as just dong something 'different'.... I have as yet to own a hard-tail chop, for example.. or ridden a speedway bike, so whilst such novelties remain to be explored... stuff I already have, takes a back-seat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia?

2009/10 bike. Buy it. Ride it. Not as good as you remember. Flog it. Buy something else. Easy peasy.

70s/80s bike. Buy it. Can't ride it, cos it needs fixing. Can't get the parts anymore/parts cost an arm and a leg. Find 'enthusiasts' forum, learn how to DIY/find someone who can sort it. Ride it. Not as good as you remember it. Flog it. Lose loads of money in the process. Different level of commitment.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my current bike back from the fella I'd sold it to a year before.

I'd like something "better", but realistically, for what I do with it, the additional money that'd cost isn't really worth it atm

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good assortment of varying bikes in the past and there are a few I'd like to own again.
They would be my old RD 250lc, or my Suzuki TS250, or my old Honda C90.
Those three were always fun and not a lot of trouble at all.

Would I buy any of those three again? , I doubt it very much.
Prices are just silly for a good one, and for one at the price I'm prepared to pay, I would end up with a shitter.

As for shitty bikes, I'm doing alright in that department thank you, I certainly don't need any more.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is though that all those bikes are now sought after for the period style and glitzy looks as well as the nostalgia.

Though it's not the same as going back to what you had, the smart money is now buying the less sought after mid-late 80's> bikes that are still cheap for runners or pocket money for projects. Myself like many people would only like an 80's bike as a total shitter to restore, as it's the only way to make a 30yr old bike reliable or at least as much as they were new.

There was even a Kawasaki GPZ 305 featured in the latest copy of practical sports bike mag, and the owner had spent a fortune on the resto.

Best to buy the unpopular less glamorous bikes, while they are still out there and cheap. As it looks like eventually everything that's old will be expensive soon.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG125 Gamma.

The original one in blue and white, is what I always wanted when I was 17 but I bought a KH100EX instead because it "was the sensible choice, slower and cheaper insurance". Embarassed

I am now much older and may have had a glass of wine (or 2) so am off to ebay / gumtree to see what I can find Mr. Green

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a picture of my first "big bike" ER5 laminated on the garage wall.

I'd love one last ride.

I loved the fact that it was restricted and I had to really really work at it and I perfected my gear changes after literally hundreds of rides out over the moors.

Que 2 years later no 33bhp and all too eeasy.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on an ER5, but like the Suzuki GS500, it's such a cut price bouncy budget option, that it ruins any reminiscent thoughts I'd have over one. The CB500 is a massively better bike and yet to look at one you just wouldn't know how much brilliance they have.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

Que 2 years later no 33bhp and all too eeasy.

Let's clear this up.

You mean, cue.

Queue = line that you stand in.

Que =
"Manuel, have you brought in the Major's luggage yet?"
"Que?"

HTH Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1