Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can pedestrians ever be fined?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Can pedestrians ever be fined? Reply with quote

Cyclists can be fined for dangerous cycling - at least in theory.

Can pedestrians ever be fined for being a danger to themselves and others?
For example, jaywalking is an offence in many countries but not in the UK (or at least not in England, not sure about Scotland etc).

However, how about:
    * a pedestrian crossing when it's red for him?
    * a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the road, when a traffic light or another kind of crossing is nearby?
    * a pedestrian jumping in the middle of the road, on a street with no crossings, but busy with traffic?

Can the pedestrian ever be fined in these cases?
Or do pedestrians have a constitutional right to be idiots and to endanger themselves and others?

If a pedestrian decides to use my bike to kill himself and, possibly, me, would it always be my fault according to the laws of our beautiful country?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a spate, a few years ago, of 'pedestrians' deliberately getting themselves run down by vehicles to claim compo? Which suggests they can be as stupid as they like, and actually benefit from it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be charged with obstructing traffic (not sure on the Borg terminology)
Every so often there is some nobhead in the papers who gets arrested for sitting in the middle of a road and refusing to move etc.

In the real world however, Popo aren't resourced enough to care about such trivial matters no mo'

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 00:00 - 20 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:00 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets

Highways Act 1980
137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [level 3 on the standard scale].

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets

Highways Act 1980
137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [level 3 on the standard scale].

Maaan, the one time I don't cite legislation... Shifty
Whistle

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:15 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is crossing when red, or jumping in the middle of the road because one is too lazy to walk 50 metres to the next zebra crossing, obstruction?

Of course I appreciate no police force will ever police (forgive the pun) something like this. I was more wondering about what happens in the case of a collision. Say I hit a pedestrian, or maybe hit a car in order to avoid a pedestrian, in one of the two cases I mentioned. Would it be the pedestrian's fault?

Genuine curiosity. I have not hit any suicidal pedestrian, although I do come across my fair share in my daily commute.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:29 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
But is crossing when red, or jumping in the middle of the road because one is too lazy to walk 50 metres to the next zebra crossing, obstruction?

I would say not - so long as they don't cause an obstruction as that's the actual offence.

Londoner2015 wrote:
Say I hit a pedestrian, or maybe hit a car in order to avoid a pedestrian, in one of the two cases I mentioned. Would it be the pedestrian's fault?

Hit a ped: Depends on the circumstances, if they stepped out from behind a bus or jumped a crossing (this actually happened to someone on here) and you weren't breaking/bending any other Highways Act/Code rules at the time, you'd have a good case.

If you sweved to avoid a ped and hit a car, it become a simple case of you rear-ending someone else. The ped doesn't even come into it and will likely have disappeared before you realised what happened, so you're probably better off hitting the ped; the gene pool ain't gonna cleanse itself.

Either way, camera up.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:57 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to sydney. You'll get fined for not crossing at a pedestrian crossing...
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could be fined for pedestrianing on a motorway.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:48 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wish they did but police told me not to bother pressing further in case they try to make a claim against me.

hit a pedestrian at about 30mph who just ran across the road infront of me between cars, managed to stay upright but bike covered in fancy plastics means £1k worth of damage (never bothered fixing, still cracked etc), lots of blood later and screaming from pedestrian ambulance and police arrive, witnesses all in my favour as no way I could have avoided collision (poor obs). asked police about claiming against ped, said no point as have seen many of these cases before and could actually be turned against you so didnt bother

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:57 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be fined for beating or shaking any carpet, rug or mat in a London thoroughfare (except door mats before the hour of eight in the morning).

However, that's about as relevant as a pedestrian's chances of being prosecuted and convicted of any self inflicted idiocy on the roads. It's so hypothetical that I find it hard to get interested.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1