Ball bag crash, + UPDATE!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If he claims from the third party's insurance, will his own insurers not be able to see that he has been involved in an accident from some sneaky database or something?

Yes.

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure its in the small print of every insurance document that any accident must be reported wether you are claiming or not, regardless of fault.

If you claim on the third parties insurance your name will appear on the main insurance database as having made a claim (cant remember the name of it). And by law you need to tell your insurance company when renewing or starting a new insurance policy, and almost every insurance application asks you of all claims regardless of fault (not if you made a claim on your own insurance).

However it is up to you what you tell them. Just bear in mind that if you then make a claim on insurance at some point for something your insurance company dont want to pay for they will look at every detail of your policy.

I had a 3 hour interview about every answer on my policy when i made a claim 10 years ago, even down to other vehicles i had looked at insuring in the past, how i worked my millage out, literally every answer to every question was investigated. Worth bearing in mind. Plus, lying to an insurance company is fraud, and you can actually go to prison for it.

dont mean to sound like a teacher but its worth knowing. when i got investigated because of apparent suspicions they had it took 9 months to be paid out, i was still paying finance on the car that was written off.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:56 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exile71 wrote:

If you claim on the third parties insurance your name will appear on the main insurance database as having made a claim (cant remember the name of it).

CUE (Claims and Underwriting Exchange).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:20 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
Exile71 wrote:

If you claim on the third parties insurance your name will appear on the main insurance database as having made a claim (cant remember the name of it).

CUE (Claims and Underwriting Exchange).

https://www.mib.org.uk/managing-insurance-data/mib-managed-services/cue-miaftr/

Ten ponds to find out what they know about you.

https://www.mib.org.uk/media/335232/cue-and-miaftr-dsar-request-form_v01.pdf

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
The management company have been in touch etc....

Few questions...

1. They say that a helmet will be given to me, rather than paying for me to buy one.

2. How would one go about skipping the management company and contacting the man's insurance directly.

3. Will the 3rd party provide the hire bike?

Tyia

Roger said:
Go via a claims management company if and only if the insurer(s) start giving you trouble.

Who are this management company and who appointed them? You're dealing with a referral buying bunch of tossers by the sounds of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
The management company have been in touch etc....

Few questions...

1. They say that a helmet will be given to me, rather than paying for me to buy one.

2. How would one go about skipping the management company and contacting the man's insurance directly.

3. Will the 3rd party provide the hire bike?

Tyia

Roger said:
Go via a claims management company if and only if the insurer(s) start giving you trouble.

Who are this management company and who appointed them? You're dealing with a referral buying bunch of tossers by the sounds of it.

Update on the situation, I am now dealing direct with the old mans insurance now.

Out of interest, is there a way of seeing the motorcycle book price that they will go by for my bike. I seem to be a little lucky in that Yamaha, have recently put they prices up for the tracer, so the value of bikes has good up a little, so I am trying to guess what they are going to give me, so I can start shopping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:21 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll most likely make a low ball offer for your bike at which point you respond with proof of how much it'll cost to buy a bike the same as your now dead one.

As you'd only had it for six weeks that gives a good starting point for what your bike could be worth but don't count on anything until you've got the money in your bank account. Laughing

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find some over priced examples of identical bikes on ebay.

Print off the listings and use that as a guide price.

I got the full insured value of my cbr600 when it was nicked by doing the same thing.

They tried offering me 700, then 900, i finally got the full 1500 minus the £50 excess.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:10 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book price.

Depends which book, but when I was touting my GS as a trade in, I got offered bang on those amounts everywhere (except Victor Devine, obviously).

Do the mouse-work though: you want to demand dealer asking prices.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you you three, very helpful indeed.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Find some over priced examples of identical bikes on ebay.

Print off the listings and use that as a guide price.

I got the full insured value of my cbr600 when it was nicked by doing the same thing.

They tried offering me 700, then 900, i finally got the full 1500 minus the £50 excess.

fuck that, he bought it 6 weeks ago, bank statement / finance agreement to prove purchase date and they should shell out for a new one.

If we were talking 6 months I'd agree with finding examples but how you going to find examples on ebay / auto trader for a bike that just rolled out of the showroom?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:18 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to his sig it was a 2015 bike. Wink

What he paid for it six weeks ago is a very good starting point for what the bike is worth but it's not a definitive answer.

bungleaio
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you are here to tell the tale OP, good luck with the healing process.

Wonko The Sane wrote:

might be a policy requirement, when I got knocked off I phoned mine and told them I'd been hit from behind and at the moment blame was being accepted and I did not need action from them, just incase I did need to get them to step in for me.

Whenever I've been involved in a car accident I've been striaght on the phone to my insurer to lodge the accident whilst still at the side of the road. My accidents have been none fault on my side but I've stil done it. The advantage being they can get things moving straight away but the main thing is when they ask for the other persons details I get the other person to give them directly to the insurance company. They are also asked to give their version of what happened which has been the truth in my experiance. The calls are recorded by the insurers so the other party can't change their mind later on and blame you for it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleaio wrote:
I get the other person to give them directly to the insurance company. They are also asked to give their version of what happened which has been the truth in my experiance.

Good idea I suppose; but people actually agree to this? I sure as hell wouldn't if I were the other driver; I'd want to write it down on paper at my leisure and keep a copy of whatever I submitted.

bungleaio
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:43 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they agreed and they have given a pretty honest account, it's not a full statement of exactly what happened but enough to say it was their fault. There are further conversations to be had but if they have already said it was completely their fault then they can't really change their mind later.

Three times it's happened, first I was stationary stopped at traffic lights and the lad behind me didn't stop and rammed me. It was about 6 pm in the winter it was raining and he'd had his license for 2 days. Neither car was in a driveable condition so I had to call my insurers to get a recovery organised anyway.

Second I was T-boned by a bus, I was stationary waiting for an oncoming car but was effectively over a T junction (bus was on the adjoining road) Bus driver checked left and right but didn't look straight on. He pulled out with some speed to try and beat the car I was waiting for and knackered my front wishbone etc. His bus was drivable but the phone call took 5 mins to sort. Initially, the bus driver refused but the three people on the bus (who had got off to look at the damage) bullied him into agreeing to speak to my insurer. He drove off after he'd given his details over the phone.

The last one I stopped quite rapidly due to traffic stopping in front of me on the motorway. The lady behind didn't notice and ploughed straight into me writing both cars off. She was very apologetic and we had plenty of time to kill at the side of the motorway to sort everything out.

Now I never stop now and I've been accident-free for ages!

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update. So, I am still dealing direct with the old fellas insurance. They are actually being very helpful at the moment, although im not holding my breath that this will be the case the whole time, but I live in hope.

Anyway, They have provided me with a hire bike. I got a Honda NC750.

My word it is dull. Not a fun bike at all. Rides and sounds like a tractor. 6th gear may as well not be there, and I can only assume the brake pads are made of over cooked soggy vegetables.

Has a moped like storage compartment, which i s'pose is handy.

But still, Im back on two wheels. Still very sore to ride, but better than sat inside holding my nuts all day.

Pictures of the bike + some wonderfully average scenery in the background.

https://s20.postimg.org/mg0f5q5al/IMG_20170619_203218.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/c4o2d2dl9/IMG_20170619_203230.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

You could take the lid off, fill it with ice, and dangle your nuts in there: that's probably why those helpful insurers chose that model.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

You could take the lid off, fill it with ice, and dangle your nuts in there: that's probably why those helpful insurers chose that model.

Genius. Idea

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the TP insurers?

Good that they're dealing sensibly with the material heads of claim; hopefully they'll be amenable enough when you get through to the general and special (and jeez even your general are pretty special) damages.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Positive update time. The cheque arrived today! Dealing with the 3rd party insurers was a breeze, and I still have the hire bike will Monday!

They first offered me £6400. Bare in mind I paid £6500 for the 15 plate bike and it had 10000 miles on. But since buying it, Yam put various prices up, so to get a like for like I showed them relevant adverts and they raised their offer to £7150, so I accepted.

Pretty chuffed with that. I have also found a 65 plate with 900 miles, Yamaha integrated heated grips and crash bars on for under £7000. Allowing me to buy some of the mods like, tail tide and huger extender.

Also, They sent a cheque for £280 for my helmet, and I found the one I wanted for £230, meaning I can transfer my x-lite Bx5 Intercom.

So apart from the ball ache of it all, (pun intended)It all worked out ok in the end! Thank you all for support and advice Smile

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 00:14 - 08 Jul 2017; edited 2 times in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:09 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
The check arrived today!

You sure? Cheque again.

Result though, shows that it pays to laugh off the first offer.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
The check arrived today!

You sure? Cheque again.

Result though, shows that it pays to laugh off the first offer.

Ill Cheque my spelling. Yep, your right, Spelling corrected Thumbs Up

But yeah. If it wasent for advise from you lot, I would have certainly accepted the first offer.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'd have been covered off with the first offer anyway?

Good result.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Sounds like you'd have been covered off with the first offer anyway?

True, but I guess the idea is to be able to buy a like for like, and as Yam have put prices up, I wouldn't have been able to get the same bike for that money. So I have ended up being positively surprised by the whole process, and feel very lucky for that, as I know insurance nonsense can be a pain in the ass for a lot of people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2