BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust stud

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Exhaust stud Reply with quote

Yes it snapped, still has some thread showing. Tried the two nut method but the nuts are just starting to strip the thread so have stopped before it gets too bad.
No I haven't got a tig/mig welder like everybody seems to have when giving advice on welding nuts on.

Any ideas? Don't want to start drilling really as that can lead to all sorts of issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a try plusgas overnight then try molegrips. Also heat the stud up with a blowtorch and molegrips again. Be carefully with blowtorch near ally or else up might end up with a puddle of ally.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing is to bite the bullet.

Cut flush and drill it out.

Use a Masonry Bit with the Carbide tips sharpened to a cutting edge. They do not have a cutting edge as they are percussion cutters.

The carbide will melt the stud like a candle.

Slow speed and feed and some engine oil as a lube.

When you get it wallowed out to 'near' the root of the stud thread then you can pick the remains out.

The threads will relax a bit when you remove the meat from the inside.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Use a Masonry Bit with the Carbide tips sharpened to a cutting edge. They do not have a cutting edge as they are percussion cutters.

When you get it wallowed out to 'near' the root of the stud thread then you can pick the remains out.

Slight thread invasion on my part but it may help OP too...
In regards to oiling as you drill, does anyone have any tricks they use for this? (other than growing a third hand)

Do others rig something up to deploy the oil or just keep stopping n squirting?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drill it. Been there, fucked a head good for n quick. Welding is the best option..I know you said it

Anyone near you with one you could borrow? Alternatively now may be the time to invest in one. Be prepared to let it sit for months on end without use...but when you do need it, it's worth its weight

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
MCN wrote:

Slight thread invasion on my part but it may help OP too...
In regards to oiling as you drill, does anyone have any tricks they use for this? (other than growing a third hand)

Do others rig something up to deploy the oil or just keep stopping n squirting?

You only need to keep the tip wetted. Dip Drill Dip Drill....

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invest in one of these

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-tc3986-impact-stud-extractor/?da=1&TC=GS-040213986&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvmmSyxiFTLIAhmyprTOKirihoN9LRlNb9HtBa6uIC-QaAqRE8P8HAQ

Gets em out every time so long as there's a bit still sticking out. You can even lob the windy gun on the end and have it out in a jiffy.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM&t
Alum is an easy safe way to remove steel from an aluminium part. The only downside it takes a day or two, its not the quickest.

The drill chuck extractor above is a useless pos. Does not work below 8mm and then its still shit. Did not work for me. If you want to remove like this get an ER32 collet which will grip much better.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:45 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one bastard of a job I am not looking forward to doing since mine is blowing where headers meet the block.

Snapped studs are a cunt.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You only need to keep the tip wetted.

Hurrm Matron!!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I know that you've dismissed the two most practical methods of removal but I'm going to suggest them anyway. As you have some thread remaining, both methods should be a POP.

(1) Welding a nut on is a no-brainer and would be my first choice (I don't own a welder and doubt my competence using one but whenever I've presented a miniscule job such as yours to a professional, I haven't been charged as it takes them only moments to carry out).

(2) Drilling out a stud isn't difficult and should not be feared. All that you need to remove almost any type of broken exhaust stud, whatever the condition, is a good quality sharp drill bit and a broken stud drillerouterer. They're easy enough to fabricate and are also available to purchase:-

https://s16.postimg.org/nlfq7cn1h/IMG_6154_1.jpg

https://s2.postimg.org/jymclzm55/IMG_6160_1.jpg

https://s16.postimg.org/hvwmxywjp/IMG_6161_1.jpg

They're inexpensive and so easy to use. Every budding mechanic should own a set.

HTH

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffles, where can i buy one of those?

googling drillerouter doesnt show much Laughing Laughing

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

when mine snapped I used these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stud-Extractor-Set-6-8-10-12mm-Stud-Extracting-sockets-Stud-Extractor-Remover-/161562449726?hash=item259ddf573e:g:ZwEAAOSw-W5UuTri

did the job for me.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1