Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stripped round-head bolt underside of bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Stripped round-head bolt underside of bike Reply with quote

Right, as subject says, I've got a stripped bolt with a rounded head so plyers, grips, etc. aren't grabbing it. It's tiny. I was attempting to remove the [ill]legal license plate holder and put on the correct one, since I had the tools out to fix the gearshift and brake. There were three bolts which needed removing, and two came away happily, the third is hanging on for dear life to the point that I thought I had gotten it to unscrew (finally) but turns out it just stripped the inside of the bolt. Ensue anger and attempting every other way of removing I know – lubing it, grabbing it with other tools, using a larger size.. nothing is working.

Have checked forums and le Google, but all tips and tricks are the same as I've already tried, short of sheering off the head with tools I don't have.

Is there, by chance, any other suggestions on how to get this thing to move?! I even tried to wiggle the entire casing in case that loosened the bolt and it just won't budge..

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture? What is the bolt screwed into? A casting, a metal clip on a plastic piece? The licence plate holder that you'll be binning anyway or the bike itself?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you are taking about a hex headed bolt, and you have rounded off the hexagon hole so that the hex/allen key is just spinning

Way to remove it all depend on what it's attached too/screwed into as stated above, but what we do in our fitting shop at work when we round them off (far to regularly) is to take a hammer and sharp punch, place the punch around the out edge and try to tap the thing round, 9 times out of 10 this works, failing that, get your drill out, at least you have a decent starting hole to go off Wink

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:21 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get a photo when I get home tonight.

rpsmith79 - yes, it's a a hex headed bolt.. I don't have a 'sharp punch', though.. Just wood chisels, and I don't reckon destroying those on this bolt would be a good idea.

It's all on the underside of the bike, below where the pillion would sit. I think it's screwed into a bit of removable plastic underside where the key goes to remove the seat, which is a pain in the ass to try and remove because the bolts tend to just spin and spin and spin.. I reckon this is to prevent theft from the underside? Only reason I think it's removable is because one of the bits the previous owner gave me when I bought the bike was a replacement bottom for the plate holder which had the hole in place for the lock.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you dremmel a slot into it and use a screwdriver ?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior hacksaw blade, cut a slot in the head and get it out with a flat blade screwdriver.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:27 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting a slot.. great idea. I'll give that a go!
I had been wondering if it was a reverse thread bolt, but I don't see why they would put that on the underside of the seat?

The offending bolt/contraption:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4274/35384165866_1e1a3f18cc.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4240/35384165966_0ce7afe8e0.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4254/34581591694_c2e1ba9e8f.jpg

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on with cutting a slot? Sometime you might be able to hammer a very slightly larger hex into it. But if that doesn#t work, it'll be drill time.

Just out of interest, is there a law on the size of the holder? Can you not fit the correct sized number plate to it? A new number plate will come without holes, so you can just drill them wherever suits the smaller holder?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a torx bit first if you have them, slightly larger and a gentle tap from a knocking driver if needed.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of plastic stuff around and under it. I would cut a straight groove in it and use a screwdriver to get it out. I've done such thing when removing a timing belt cover on my mate's car and the bolts were as fecked as this one is. I didn't want to smash a larger bit there, as there was no space for that.

Either way, if you manage to get it out, buy a new screw!

Also, word of wisdom, always clean the Allen key screw heads, before you insert the Allen key. What you've got there, is possibly a result of a not seated properly Allen key.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pays to have a manual impact driver in your toolbox for such occasions. Couple of good taps with an analogue thumb detecting device and the offending screw/bolt is out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9R8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Pays to have a manual impact driver in your toolbox for such occasions. Couple of good taps with an analogue thumb detecting device and the offending screw/bolt is out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9R8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a new one on me, never seen an impact screwdriver like that before, looks like a handy piece of kit though

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the original type impact driver. Very hand tool but a bit of a knack to using them well and you need to be confident with the hammer.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a impact driver is a nice thing to have, but not necessary with this kind of job. Also, I'd be very cautious using a impact driver there.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat it up, melt it out, wont be visible.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Heat it up, melt it out, wont be visible.

Shocked

https://media.giphy.com/media/iiS84hOJXh1Pq/giphy.gif

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:09 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Had it's MOT on Saturday – didn't realise it was due so ended up making friendly with a local garage to get it in last minute. Was told the bike would fail on the spot for the license plate. (Oh, joy)

Folks at the garage were super nice and replaced the plate for me.

Bolt is still in place.. So still want to remove it... but as it's currently got the legal plate on I've this opinion of "but... I'd rather be riding!"

When I feel like pulling out the tools and not being on the bike I'lll use the suggestions you guys gave me in the following order:
- torx bit
- straight groove
- melt the damn thing out Mad

Cheers for the advice. Apologies for being a lazy git. With the weather as it's been I've been out and enjoying the ride rather than squatting on the ground dealing with the bolt... Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
A lot of plastic stuff around and under it. I would cut a straight groove in it and use a screwdriver to get it out. I've done such thing when removing a timing belt cover on my mate's car and the bolts were as fecked as this one is. I didn't want to smash a larger bit there, as there was no space for that.

Either way, if you manage to get it out, buy a new screw!

Also, word of wisdom, always clean the Allen key screw heads, before you insert the Allen key. What you've got there, is possibly a result of a not seated properly Allen key.
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/cut.png

Ah the old hexagon pentagon switcheroo, gets me everytime Laughing

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 14:40 - 04 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:

When I feel like pulling out the tools and not being on the bike I'lll use the suggestions you guys gave me in the following order:
- torx bit
- straight groove
- melt the damn thing out Mad

Cheers for the advice. Apologies for being a lazy git. With the weather as it's been I've been out and enjoying the ride rather than squatting on the ground dealing with the bolt... Laughing

For what its worth, agree with your approach in its entirety. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1