BCF: Bike Chat Forums

F800ST?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: F800ST? Reply with quote

Any owners/ex owners can comment on this bike?

I like the looks, the belt drive and the amazing economy but I also keep hearing about reliability issues.

I've got my eye on a 2006 model with 20,000 miles so considering its age it hasn't been used that much.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any endemic issues on them that are still likely to be found in an extant bike.

There was a problem with the rear axles, and some examples suffered from piston slap. They both manifested early so I'd expect them to have been remedied.

You've got the inherent risk of electrical snafus on an 11 year old CANBUS bike. I don't think it's likely to go wrong, but if it does you could be up for eye-watering bills. Belts won't be cheap either.

I can't speak to how they ride, but the 800 is a decent engine and (in my detuned version) can return in excess of 65mpg in stop-start, and well over 70 in the open. No character though, but that's not what they're for.

Worth a look, but I'd want to buy a well looked after private example rather than an overpriced dealer trade-in that might have been chopped in to get rid of it.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:55 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm not aware of any endemic issues on them that are still likely to be found in an extant bike.

There was a problem with the rear axles, and some examples suffered from piston slap. They both manifested early so I'd expect them to have been remedied.

You've got the inherent risk of electrical snafus on an 11 year old CANBUS bike. I don't think it's likely to go wrong, but if it does you could be up for eye-watering bills. Belts won't be cheap either.

I can't speak to how they ride, but the 800 is a decent engine and (in my detuned version) can return in excess of 65mpg in stop-start, and well over 70 in the open. No character though, but that's not what they're for.

Worth a look, but I'd want to buy a well looked after private example rather than an overpriced dealer trade-in that might have been chopped in to get rid of it.

Do you think I could get bored of the bike very quickly?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a member selling one a week or two ago who might be able to help.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Well, you could. It depends what you want from it.

I can't speak to the handling, but I don't expect it to be hugely different from my GS. Not light, but the under-seat tank helps to keep the weight down low.

It's not a thrilling engine, but it's got useful roll-on torquepowers at legal speeds. Off the line, my 800 can make my eyeballs hurt. I far prefer it to the IL4s that I've tried, which only get fun when they're already going fast.

I'm not using mine much at the moment because it's too good for my commute. I guess that's a type of boring. But every time I bust it out for a longer run, I'm struck with just how competent it is. Belt drive and a bit of a fairing would doubtless be even better.

Worth a try. I reckon you'll be impressed rather than enthused.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:33 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Well, you could. It depends what you want from it.

I can't speak to the handling, but I don't expect it to be hugely different from my GS. Not light, but the under-seat tank helps to keep the weight down low.

It's not a thrilling engine, but it's got useful roll-on torquepowers at legal speeds. Off the line, my 800 can make my eyeballs hurt. I far prefer it to the IL4s that I've tried, which only get fun when they're already going fast.

I'm not using mine much at the moment because it's too good for my commute. I guess that's a type of boring. But every time I bust it out for a longer run, I'm struck with just how competent it is. Belt drive and a bit of a fairing would doubtless be even better.

Worth a try. I reckon you'll be impressed rather than enthused.

I want a reliable do it all workhorse that also makes me look good, the F800ST appears to tick the boxes on paper but I've just heard bad things about reliability.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

I want a reliable do it all workhorse that also makes me look good, the F800ST appears to tick the boxes on paper but I've just heard bad things about reliability.

Reliability Thinking

People with reliable bikes will probably say little about them. How often do you hear 'my bike is very reliable' shouted from the rooftops.

People with unreliable bikes will scream it to whoever will listen.

And an F800ST will make you look like Casanova to the girlies. Thumbs Up

Honest

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:01 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
I've just heard bad things about reliability.

What things? Honest question, I'm not completely au fait with them.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:04 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
I've just heard bad things about reliability.

What things? Honest question, I'm not completely au fait with them.

something about rear axles and batteries dying.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:38 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
something about rear axles and batteries dying.

Yes, there was a problem with the rear axle bearings, but they were recalled and so should be sorted.

Batteries, maybe. Mine does have a minor issue in that the cranking current from the battery is no longer quite sufficient to give a totally smooth start. It can hesitate on the first compression stroke causing the dash to reboot. It can be ameliorated by putting it in gear, pushing it up to compression and then giving it a rock forwards before starting. Or by just holding the button down and not caring. The battery is 5 years old, I wouldn't call that a major issue. It's never had any problem actually starting, even in the coldest weather.

Stephenniall
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and love it.

Make sure the recall has been done for the rear axle, there's also one or two other minor recalls that need to be done but I can't remember what for.

Go for a later model, they re-designed the indicators to have plugs, amongst plenty of little bits of difference, however mine is an early 2006 model and I've not had any issues yet.

The immobiliser rings are known to go, but are only £20 from BMW.

The belt is smooth to ride & requires absolutely no maintenence so is brilliant, mines fantastic on the motorway and have even taken it on track a few times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1