View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Await arry Thumbs Up

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:42 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help thinking the clause in the BMW PCP contract was aimed more at emphasising people can't just go selling or using the car somehow as collateral until they finished monthly payments and have either settled or sorted out the balloon payment at the end.

If you called up BMW Finance after the warranty had expired, but whilst you were still on monthly payments and tell them that as they legally own the car and something is broken, they need to fix it - they'd tell you to do one.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: New bike Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
I've kicked the old Deauville into touch and signed up to take delivery of one of these in a couple of weeks. 0% PCP so I thought fuck it you only live once. Demonstrator seemed quite sprightly in comparison to the old bike:

https://www.motorrad-bilder.at/slideshows/291/011559/honda-crossrunner-adventure-2015-7.jpg

Looks way better than the fat dolphin version.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:30 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ownership is a funny old thing in law. Possession may be 90% of it, but if you sign a contract that says you don't own a thing until you've paid for it, I think it's unlikely that a court is going to rule in your favour.

Caveats being that I've still not seen an actual PCP contract, and that you can insure against the loss of things that you don't own. Liability insurance springs to mind.

Amusing thought: you crash your PCP Beemer. Your fully comp insurance tells you to do one because you don't own it.

Get another vehicle, insure it, then park it on the Beemer. "Yeah, I crashed into BMW's bike."

Your 2nd vehicle's 3rd party liability then pays out to BMW, right? Whistle

Polarbear wrote:
Await arry Thumbs Up

I'm hoping someone gets offered out before he gets here. Praying

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: New bike Reply with quote

mtriderrob wrote:
Make sure you tell your insurer that it is on a PCP as I've recently heard that a number of insurance companies are refusing to pay out on claims because the bike doesn't belong to you irrespective of the fact that you are down as the registered keeper.

I don't believe the insurance won't pay out provided the premium was paid and any warranties were complied with (eg; was it stolen when chained to a lamppost out front when it should have been in a locked garage, or similar).

Insurance is driven by legalities and there's loads of it, supposedly intended to protect the customer, but rarely thought through properly by whatever the FSA are called this year.
It also gets potentially changed every time a claim/disagreement etc goes to court and sets a potential precedent.

The person that you speak to when buying the cover is unlikely to know anything more than the simple legal requirements.
Similarly the Claims person is probably more of a data input clerk that only knows a few basic legal requirements.

So the 1st person you talk to when you're making a claim is told to suggest a claim may not be covered if anything doesn't match their 'tick-box' claim questionnaire.
This tends to make claimants a bit more grateful when the Company make their 1st offer (which is usually below market value), and saves them (and customers) a little money.

However when they take it to their manager (who may take it to their manager or to their legal advisor etc) then loads of initial 'I don't think your covered' actually turn out to be covered.
I suspect it'll take a bit longer when they have to talk with finance companies as well.
Although the values they pay out may be less than the finance company want, so the customer may still owe some finance after the claim is settled.
Plus if the premium is paid in instalments then the insurance company will deduct all the remaining payments from the final amount as well.

So I'd guess you got told about this before the claim had finally been sorted and were given the usual "It's all a shit con" story or the guy didn't want to admit he stopped paying the insurance maybe...
If not, then they need to start a complaint process and if that fails then go to the Insurance Ombudsman, because provided they haven't fucked up themselves, the Insurance policy should pay out whether they are the legal owner or not...

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This had me thinking so I phoned my insurer today and yes I am covered even though I did not state the bike was on PCP.

Just got this from their FAQ page:

How does PCP impact my Bennetts insurance policy?
In simple terms, it doesn’t. Despite not completely owning the bike until the end of the PCP agreement and all outstanding balances have been settled, Bennetts and our panel of insurers recognise your insurable interest in the bike and treat it as if owned by you.

However, your particular robbing bastard company of choice may differ.

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:03 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that's cleared up.

When are you picking the new bike up? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be fair, nerding out over insurance minutiae is more interesting than a Crossrunner. Whistle

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching paint dry is more interesting than a crossrunner Rolling Eyes

there's a reason it's 0% interest ....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Be fair, nerding out over insurance minutiae is more interesting than a Crossrunner. Whistle

Be nice Roger, he's changed from a Deauville, that is surely an upgrade Thinking

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:47 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventure bikes do seem very popular at present, yet I would imagine most are used for road commuting rather than doing the Paris-Dakar! Laughing

They're not my thing I have to admit, but each to their own - and it's always exciting getting a new toy, regardless.

I might consider one if i lived out in the sticks in the Highlands or something.

I must admit, I'm still looking at changing the Blade for something more suited to my needs - either another naked, or a sports tourer. I've experienced the super-sports thing now, and it's been fun and glad I did.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very sensible choices.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick it up 1st July.

It's not an adventure bike in my opinion, it has no off-road pretensions. It gives me a riding position that won't cripple my knackered old body after 2 hours.

Not particularly exciting if you need a shit-load of power, but I can have a bit of fun with 105hp hopefully without risking my licence to excess. And trust me, with double the power of the old bike it definitely feels like an upgrade. And I just couldn't entertain the idea of a baby Ewan McBoorman bike Wink

Anyway, each to their own........

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly mate - horses for courses Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2