Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG 125??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

grahamhilton
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Honda CG 125?? Reply with quote

Hey Guy and Girls

I'm very new to biking and just got myself a 2006 CG 125 and want to do a few servicing bits and pieces.

Firstly Oil change - Seems easy enough, but how much oil does the tank hold? And any specific type of oil?

Chain tightening - is this as easy as tightening the little bolts on the rear wheel?

I have changed the spark plug and put a new battery in.

Is there anything else I need to do? Maybe front break pads?
It has done 17000 miles as it was from a training company.

Thanks for your help.

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to look here:

https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/servicing.htm

If you know the service history you'll have an idea of what's been done. If not, then you might want to go over everything. Haynes also do a manual for the CG. No idea how good it is and it might be a bit confusing since there are a fair few variants of the bike in existance and they tend to describe procedures in different ways with different pictures etc.

To go some way towards answering your specific concerns -

Oil - should be 1 litre of 10w40 semi-synthetic bike oil, although some will say use the cheapest, some say use decent, expensive stuff because it works hard and is shared amongst the gearbox/clutch as well as the engine.

Chain - Pretty much what you say but also loosen the rear axle and brake torque arm nut so the wheel can be moved in the first place.

Pads - change whenever worn out - should be able to see a wear groove or mark in the friction material. If they're worn down to it, then it's definitely time to change them.

Other stuff - check out that site, it's pretty thorough. Haynes might be worth investing in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1L, 10W40. TBH it'll happily run on damn near anything, but stick to 10W40 and regular changes and you can't run aground.

No, you have to loosen (not remove, loosen), the rear wheel axle first on both sides (require maybe 17/19/21mm spanner or something like that). This will free up the tyre to move forwards and back on the little adjusters (just make sure you turn them both the same direction and amount of turn!). Edit: Make damn sure you tighten the rear wheel axle again when you're done (both sides, you tend to need to hold a spanner one side to keep it still whilst you turn the other side).

Unless i had service history and belief that it was genuine service history i'd give it a full service, to include at the very least checking the brake pads and disc. However, most CG owners do little to no maintainance, and only tend to deal with things when they break.

This site is excellent for the CG:
https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/servicing.htm

Edit: Heh, pretty much beaten to the post by neil.

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I think there's an echo in here! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haynes manaual is good once you learn how to read Haynes... Model specific issues are covered in the rear of the Haynes. I would say it is essential.

I remember spoon setting up that award space. Smile

At 17000 your CG has covered nothing, seriously. Mine did more than that without an oil change.

Also to echo the above loosen the main axle bolt before attempting to adjust the chain or you will end up sheering those little bolts. Don't ask me how I know.

On the subject of the chain tightening, move each bolt a sixth of a turn - flat to flat on each bolt - then move the bolt on the otherside the same amount. Be patient and do it a little at a time.

You stand a good chance of misaligning your rear wheel unless you do it this way.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying used, it's not safe to assume the wheel is aligned to start with - I bought a 14 month old bike with just 4000 miles on it where the alignment was totally twatted - wobbled and shimmied more than a LibDem minister announcing another joint policy. I suspect the muppet first owner hadn't slackened off the brake arm, and thus had only adjusted the chain-side of the axle to tighten the chain.

So, best check the alignment is good. You could try using the alignment marks on the swing-arm, but they're not always accurate. I like the Big Long Stick approach - just hold a stick against the wheel (both sides to be sure) and see if it goes straight fore-and-aft.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If you're buying used, it's not safe to assume the wheel is aligned to start with.

Good point well made. When I had the wheel out of mine I always used to start wth the wheel as far forwards as it could go and then adjust it back until it was right.

It takes a while, but you know its right when you get there and isnt so bad if you have the stereo going Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grahamhilton
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the useful help and tips.

I want to make sure its all safe and sound for when the weather gets better.

Thanks again.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 203 days between these two posts...

firby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Lack of power honda CG125 Reply with quote

Hi i have a Honda CG 125, 1998 W. Just recently it has lost a lot power as soon as i open the throttle, the power dies of really quickly when i try to reach 50mph . can anyone please?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably get more replies if you put the question in the workshop area...

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necromancy!!!!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Necromancy!!!!

Threadomancy.

Regarding the CG - when were the valves last checked? I'd change the oil and get the valves set properly first of all. Plugs are cheap so may as well fling another one of those in too. Just get a standard one, you don't need an iridium one for a CG.

If that doesn't fix it the issue will likely be with the carb.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1