Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road pricing in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/20/london-mayor-considers-pay-per-mile-road-pricing-and-ban-on-new-parking

As per the radio this morning, the London mayor is expected to propose road pricing per mile in London to replace the congestion charge. There's no firm information on the technical specifics at the moment, such as whether it will be limited to cars or include motorbikes.

I'm hoping in this instance as motorbikes were except the congestion charge they'll also be exempt this new proposed scheme, however as we've seen with the emissions charge bikes are starting to factor in their plans.

Can't figure out how a road pricing by mile scheme would work technically though, without either carpeting the city in ANPR or fitting every vehicle in London with a tracking device?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:40 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

How does Khan get to work? Johnson at least put his pedals where his mouth is.

Vracktal wrote:
carpeting the city in ANPR

Isn't it already?

The usual total lack of mention of motorcycles. Let's see what the consultation has already decided when it's released today.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will that work without telematic/black boxes?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the congestion and ULE zones work?

Snappy-snappy, billy-billy.

They just need more cameras and a bit more granularity. It can be rolled out piecemeal, paying for itself as it goes.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:15 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Johnson at least put his pedals where his mouth is.

Cycle Hire was actually a Red Ken legacy I believe.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Johnson at least put his pedals where his mouth is.

Cycle Hire was actually a Red Ken legacy I believe.

I meant, Boris regularly cycled to work, getting into spats with the base, common and popular along the way.

I genuinely believe this is significant. For all his faults, Johnson wasn't afraid to get out among his constituents and eat what he was serving them.

Khan seems much more of a stand-offish bunker-weasel. But his dad was a bus driver. I don't know if you'd heard that.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

I didn't know actually, I however I certainly know Mrs May was a Minister's daughter.

I know Kahn regularly appears on LBC to answer questions obviously more controlled but at the same time far wider reaching.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How do the congestion and ULE zones work?

Snappy-snappy, billy-billy.

They just need more cameras and a bit more granularity. It can be rolled out piecemeal, paying for itself as it goes.

A zone's different, with road pricing I don't see how you'll monitor people with cameras.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How does Khan get to work?

I'd guess by company chauffeur driven limo, so no cost for him.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:07 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
A zone's different, with road pricing I don't see how you'll monitor people with cameras.

With, uh, more cameras. Same technology, just more of it.

My point is that it's not an all-or-nothing proposition; you don't have to charge every vehicle for every yard. Just throw up a few more ANPR cameras in the busiest roads and charge a fee every time a vehicle goes past one, same as they do with the zone(s) at the moment.

So they won't get every road (at first), but they'll start raking in income which will pay for putting up more and more cameras.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Road pricing in London Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How does Khan get to work? Johnson at least put his pedals where his mouth is.

Vracktal wrote:
carpeting the city in ANPR

Isn't it already?

The usual total lack of mention of motorcycles. Let's see what the consultation has already decided when it's released today.

At the moment there's ad-hoc ANPR along a few of the main thoroughfares, pretty easy to recognise. The current congestion charge is the only specific ringfence of them in the city though, and even then there are some holes if you're sneaky. I'm not sure what ANPR coverage for C charge is actually like inside the circle or if it's entrance/exit only.

EDIT: Bit of googling turned up some FOI request with a bit more detail on the current scheme, looks like the congestion charge is enforced by specific cameras which may or may not be at the boundary only. Huh. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tfl_anpr_cameras_and_data
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1