BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How are you staying cool?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty lucky that my flat is pretty cool, it's only warmer when all the windows are open. I only put my summer duvet on the other night...

On the bike, I don't. I've been out on the hottest days of the year and it's been fucking horrible. Broke down on 2 of the hottest days and wasn't much fun. Made a mean brew of testicle tea.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:34 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Right, you bunch of pussies! Wink

Almost everywhere I've gone in mainland Europe I can cope with 5-10C higher temps than in the UK.

Quote:
Not much use in the UK, but if you're looking at spending a month or two in high temperatures, A/C is not your friend, letting your body acclimatise to the ambient temperature is much better

You said it your self! We don't get consistently hot, we get little bits of hot & cold.

One advantage I've found to riding an electric bike in summer is there's far less heat coming from the bike! Of course, in winter this is going to be a disadvantage.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Abroad heat is for the ladies, UK heat is for the manly men types.

I've never understood that one either.

Well, you're correct!
There is a reason low 30's feels hot in the UK.
The UK, in general, has a shite climate, being mainly wet and damp for most of the year. On the rare occasion that you get a decent summer the humidity is always high, which is what makes it uncomfortable.

Secondly, shite climate again, your body is acclimatised to dull, wet and damp, your body's simply not used to heat!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Ditch your quilt, if you must have something a single sheet will do.

I've got some kinda deep-seated needy issues, and I have to have a duvet to clutch onto as a security-blanket kind of thing.

Even if my bloke is there, I can't sleep properly without the puffy surroundingness of the bedding (it drives him nuts Laughing ) I dunno, its clearly some sort of psychological needy-hellkat thing* - I've always been that way.

But lately in this heat, even I've been kicking off the quilt and clutching the pillow instead.

A sheet just doesn't have the same comforting effect. Folded arms

*So needy that I still have my original teddy bear who is now nearly 55 years old ... but I only get him out when I am REALLY upset and alone. When you think "Wow hellkat: cool, laconic, sorted, independent...", you don't see The Bear who lives tucked behind the wrought iron bedstead, do you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
One advantage I've found to riding an electric bike in summer is there's far less heat coming from the bike! Of course, in winter this is going to be a disadvantage.

The amount of people I saw last winter warming their hands on the bikes exhaust was amusing Smile Last night I had the small window partially open, had a blanket and woke up early freezing cold Crying or Very sad

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I have to have a duvet to clutch onto as a security-blanket kind of thing...Even if my bloke is there,

I though you liked him because he came wrapped in a duvet already! Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has many redeeming qualities Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
He has many redeeming qualities Wink

Compensating for what?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unquenchable passion for really bad puns and "hilarious" acronyms.
It's like living with Tommy Cooper, the 1% years. Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am blissfully sitting in front of the window whilst working, and the very pleasant breeze is tinkling my windchimes.

I am contemplating adding a G&T to this equation, thereby denying myself the ability to actually go to work today, but I think I have worked hard enough already this week.
Cool

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Today I am blissfully sitting in front of the window whilst working, and the very pleasant breeze is tinkling my windchimes.

Pervert!

hellkat wrote:
I am contemplating adding a G&T to this equation, thereby denying myself the ability to actually go to work today, but I think I have worked hard enough already this week.
Cool

I have had my 2, very, large G+T quota for the night, on top of a few pints of Keo, plus a very nice kebab!

I shall be, mainly, watching MotoGP qualifying tomorrow, that work thing sounds like more than a bit of a drag! Wink

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Pervert!

Was a red/ultraViolet light involved... Sitting in the window working... Or is that only in Amsterdam........ Shocked

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So far as I know, those window ladies dont't EVEN need anyone to answer their phones (although I've not actually been there to the window ladies district, despite having been to Amsterdam, albeit only once, and very briefly)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this heat, do you think they keep their wet wipes in the fridge ... do they even have room for a fridge in those windows?

Thinking

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The climate control in the Swift is akin to an arctic hurricane. So I've been using that mostly.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sticking boots / gloves / lid / bike clothes in the little server room at work ( it's AC'd) an hour before i go home. Putting cold gear on gives me just enough time to get on the bike and get moving ( on the days i take it ) before i drown in litres of my own sweat.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

I thought I was a whiney bitch when it came to excessive heat but BCF does one better.

I've done the cold shower thing for a few summers now and it works a treat. Just take the duvet out of the cover and use the cover.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it winter again already? Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Isn't it winter again already? Very Happy

It seems like autumn here. Normally it would be around 32°C outside, yet we get rain and thunder storms all the time, and temperatures rarely exceed 20°C.

I enjoy the lower temperatures, but the rain is really keeping me from doing anything summer related.

Oddly Enough the whole country fights the drought, regardless of the constant rain. When it was above 30°C (last month) the soil dried up and got hard, so now when it rains the water just slides on the surface and drains straight to the rivers.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 12:09 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At night when its been hot recently we take to duvet out of the cover (as mentioned above) that helps.

Something else that's been pretty nice is opening a large bedroom window and putting a desktop fan in the gap between the frame and the open window. pull the window onto the fan so the fan cant fall out or put in on the ledge right in front of the window. As the fan run is pulls the "normally" much cooler air from outside and blows it in rather than just pushing the warm air around within the room. We noticed the change straight away and within an hour the temp in our bedroom had gone from 27 ish to about 24. The only drawback is you need to leave the curtains (blinds) open a touch to let the cool air in so depending on the way your house points the sun could be beaming in on you at stupid o clock in the morning Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pro-tip: move to Scotchland. I had to stop to put on another layer this morning, and I've packed the waterproofs. Sad

I was home (Glezga) most of June. I had to put the bloody heating on... Bastirt SNP.. What are they doing to the weather?

I looked for stuff on T' Internet about how cauld it is this 'summer'. But no one appears to be bothering their shirts or beavers.

Shocked

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 18:25 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Thinking Heat Thinking ... I've not come across that in a long time in Scotland ... think 1976 was the last time ... then again, I may have been hallucinating Sad

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Summer Thinking Heat Thinking ... I've not come across that in a long time in Scotland ... think 1976 was the last time ... then again, I may have been hallucinating Sad

No more Haggis for you, mister! Razz

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Summer Thinking Heat.....1976

I remember it well. Back then I could enjoy it rather than have to work through it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:54 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

It's been in the mid to high 30's here for the past few weeks and will remain that way for the next three months at least, the temperature's set to rise to 40+ at the weekend.

Bike rides, as already mentioned, mesh jacket, kevlar jeans!

You want to stay cool in bed, here's how without using A/C!

Ditch your quilt, if you must have something a single sheet will do.
Needless to say, naked is best!
Try and create a flow of air through the bedroom by opening windows to create a draught.
Buy a floor standing fan, with a remote, set it to low speed if it's noisy, if it's quiet set it to full speed, set it to "swing".
Set the fan to run for 2 hours, once you're asleep the heat won't wake you up.
Before you retire have a shower, have a cold shower, as much as you can bare without wincing.
Forget all that crap about hanging wet towels or bottles of ice in front of the fan, it's the humidity that makes you feel uncomfortable more so than the temperature.

Not much use in the UK, but if you're looking at spending a month or two in high temperatures, A/C is not your friend, letting your body acclimatise to the ambient temperature is much better, apart from anything else you'll save a fortune!

We've got A/c in the house here, never use it, just use the method described above and it's way hotter here than it is in the UK!

Agreed, to some extent. High humidity is the bitch. Ceiling fans are a must for the bedrooms here, A/C runs twenty four/seven nearly all year round at 76F (24.5C), it's fooking pricey and I seem to be the only person in the State that doesn't have twelve month long allergies/sniffles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4