Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chilli growing thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:15 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresnos are very slightly hotter than Jalapenos.

Actually. the afore-mentioned peruvian lemons, while not as chunky as a Jalapeno, are decenctly hot but have enough meat on them to be sliced and pickled.

Cayennes are another that spring to mind. They are usually dried and powdered but they are a fair sized fruit with plenty of heat. They do produce the odd rogue fruit too so beware. I cooked a yellow one in a chilli at a bike rally a couple of years back that nearly made me pass out. Apparently I was wandering around the campsite wittering incoherantly with red eyes and pupils so dilated they thought I'd been off getting stoned in my tent.

EDIT: The more I think about it, please put pickled cayennes on a pizza and feed it to people. Laughing

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I might have a crop of Naga, Bhut Jolokia and Scorpion (possibly Trinidad) chillies later this year. I dont think I'm going to be able to use them if they're as hot as they should be so early doors (flowers currently turning to fruit at the moment) anyone interested in having some later on this year, either fresh or dried?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 218 days between these two posts...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:35 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread resurrection?

Thread resurrection.

For those who want to and have the heat and light to do so, it's coming up time to get planting them chillis.

I've just taken delivery of my seeds this year.

I've picked Aji Lemons again because they make cracking chilli con carne.

Purple Jalapeno for pickling, thought it would be interesting to have a different colour.

Joes Longs for Indian cookery, shoudl be able to have them green or red.

The Hungarian Carrots are supposed to be among the more hardy ones, I want to try growing them outside. Likewise the purple tigers although these are more decorative. I thought I'd give outside a go again after last year when we had self seeded tomatoes sprout up and produce ripe fruit.

I'll be planting them in small pots, 2-seeds to a pot in a top quality, soil-based number 2 seed compost with added perlite and enfiched with homemade compost. They'll be going in a heated propogator frame in our South facing porch. I need to take care to allow them enough ventilation this time, last year my first batch of seedlings rotted through the stems from being too humid.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3etfM2H0JRqd72U2ES8FSgApDD3qz4d1pnEDOrWHiqUgRcHnyxNutsODLo81OMTU4hIF-NT_J3NjuqyYcDMRZ2SDFN3dmdmxoXo9-cmWGHsKsjuEqyDqTusVaJT1QEKFaWvR6_yKkNHGPhXftP2Hhuj=w986-h860-no

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, I grew a single plant last year, helpfully labelled as ‘red chilli’ when bought on sale at the local garden centre. I got quite a few off of it which I haven’t used many of yet. I froze most of them and dried a few too. There’s around 50-ish red peppers; I diced a tiny one over a bowl of pho and damned near took my head off, although I don’t think they’re anything particularly special.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:52 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
That reminds me, I grew a single plant last year, helpfully labelled as ‘red chilli’ when bought on sale at the local garden centre. I got quite a few off of it which I haven’t used many of yet. I froze most of them and dried a few too. There’s around 50-ish red peppers; I diced a tiny one over a bowl of pho and damned near took my head off, although I don’t think they’re anything particularly special.

They LOOK like Jalapenos. Probably are because they are common. However, plants can produce a rogue pepper with a ludicrous amount of heat. I've been caught out more than once.

One way to check is to cut a wafer thin slice out of the middle and try it. Some people say to bit the tip off it but on the stupid hot ones, that totally misses out the really hot part.

If you're really suspicious. Cut a thin slice out of the middle. Touch it on your lip and wait. Then touch it on your tongue and wait. Then eat it.

I have a full jar of dried carolina reapers and have no idea what to do with them... Maybe one day I'll catch a bike thief in the act.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the final Orange Habs off 10 days ago....still flowering.

https://i.imgur.com/t4dWIJX.jpg

In the past have cut the stems down hard. Dosed heavily with Nitrogen in March. Got a second years crop......but the pods were smaller. Unsure if this was because plant in second year and hacked in half, or soil re-used (even with fertilizer, maybe it was the salt / acidity buildup in small pot).

Anyway. Orange Habs from last years seed, collected from biggest pod.

Cold snap won't have helped germination. Might do some in paper towels in airing cupboard and pop in soil once sprouted.

https://i.imgur.com/qpWBzxc.jpg

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get mine going soon too; habaneros, ghost and some weird little purple ones we got from a local community growing project last year and I saved the seeds from. Actually quite fancy growing some scotch bonnets again as I always get very good results and while hot, their flavour:heat ratio is impressive and means I can throw them in stuff without the wife complaining too much.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Chilli stuff

I have a full jar of dried carolina reapers and have no idea what to do with them... Maybe one day I'll catch a bike thief the act.

I ate one of those once. I thought I was going to die, slowly, and on fire internally.

Not grown any for a while now, might get inspired.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:17 - 12 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have action. 15 days after planting.

I've been careful to position the seeds within the cells. The left hand ones are double planted with a seed top left and bottom right. The right hand ones are single planted in the centre. The reason for this is they take a while to germinate so any weeds in the compost will likely germinate first. Knowing where the chilli seeds are allows me to remove the weeds without worrying about pulling up the actual chilli plants. Once a couple are through, it's more easy to tell the difference. It's a fairly safe bet to just remove anything that germinates in the first week, it's highly unlikely to be a chilli.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eMh7Fd9Bn_Dceyrj96rNrZtbPK-q8PjQvhmA7SwngvvlgnYLu2fb3L-jqjxXs7phIXuxX6-QHtehnn7supMO2jGjdw0vHnDilDcRinuClMzpnRnWT0mnn7rtwBV1BJDzkFKFQkEk3k4g5bVbkzqHAd=w1529-h860-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cmwM4edI3s8i-c_scJV2wcfGBfkQVCsX2MBeJ6HhYUfYqQNuENCcPpRegsNTkrUrPU5k7qKmnHu5XRRJShlbjUWyXEqXWaS1Ifx1A2lKgLdtAB2XpmDVtwp6R3kRh83gQ5h9RxPU37gG0ceU_oLfUW=w1529-h860-no

Chilli seedlings are comparatively strong compared to many of the common weeds, they send a root down first then push up a thick-ish stem with the two initial leaves on. They often take the seed casing up and out along with them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cQRq0luvFX4FNipuWttKa3tv-sobC9oyf_fynxtsjivWRjauCoWZuxrec-FLgIBdJ74OXNAV2QU5P-Lavh9p3IqPo5tcLgTdhXOvIdayMtLpNOdN-wozxzRGgRHNylnR8ohD5JpUQLiXbuWwLwJwpI=w1529-h860-no

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my ghost chillies last year; had good success with them. Still using them on pizzas now (they freeze well).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were planted the other day and are sat in the heated tray now waiting for shoots to appear;

6 x bhut jolokia (ghost chillies)
6 x orange habanero
3 x strange miniature purple chilli things*

*no idea what cultivar they are as harvested seeds, but they were tasty with a scotch bonnet type flavour and fairly hot.

I need to decide where to locate them though; the other year I got an aphid infestation on the plants but didn't spot it straight away, the windows got covered in sticky goo. Mrs Thunderguts wasn't impressed. We do have a greenhouse but I've not had as much success with them in there in the past (too much temp variation perhaps) as growing indoors.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27