Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it always hard replacing your first proper bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Is it always hard replacing your first proper bike? Reply with quote

Had a ZZR600 for the past four years, ridden it daily to work and back and absolutely loved it.

wrist issues and the gearbox failing have caused me to sell it to someone who's got time and a garage to fix it and I've ended up buying a Hornet.

It's a nice bike but riding it you could be sat on a bar-stool playing a racing arcade game for how the hornet responds and feels, just not involved in riding it at all somehow unlike the ZZR where any movement to the bars had a positive response.

Is it just being very used to one type of bike and I just need to get some miles on the Hornet (used it all week so far) to get used to the Hornet's ways?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper they're similar bikes in the power n torque stakes with the hornet the lighter of the two. You'd think with the flatter bars the hornet would also feel more nimble.

In short and in the words of DrSnoosnoo "Deal with it".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a change of rubber or different tyre of rubber? Tyre pressures for you and your commuting load? Suspension setup? .. Three things that jump to mind that could make the biggest difference to the ride. I'd say no box is perfect out of the box, second hand included. Spend some time faffing around to see if you can get it how you want it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it always hard replacing your first proper bike? Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

I have no idea; my first 'proper' bike, as in the first one that actually had two wheels, no pedals and actually 'ran'... I still have!
As a comper, not an every-day, helped it not get (too!) run into the ground to soon, but it was also only 4 years old when I got it, and in the trials world, having the latest tackle, particularly at club level, doesn't count for so much; it did get rendered obsolete by the 'new-generation' of mono-shock wonders, soon after; but they invented the T-Shock class, within 5-years, in which, as almost the last of the breed, it was always going to be on the par...
Notions of trading up or upgrading have come and gone over the decades; and in the late 90's I pondered one of the new water-cooled, mono-shock Montesa's, that were then the Championship machine of the era, thanks to Lampkin; But couldn't really justify the cost of one, and was daunted by the complexity. Idea was re-kindled in the early naughtiest, when I tackled the clubman course on I think it was a Sherco 200, which made me stop and think just how hard I was making things for myself on the old dinasaur, and start pricing up things like 320 Scorpa's.. but err.. yeah... sort of had that 'Pang' that even if I got a modern rock-hoppa, I couldn't see myself let go of the old Cota, and couldn't compete in two bikes at one event! So ended up joining a 'Classic' club and sticking with the old dinasaur! And expect it'll still be hanging around in the shed at my wake!
Been torn down and rebuilt and 'restored' so many times over the years, I can almost strip it like a squaddie with a Lee-Enfield, blind-fold, in my sleep!! And if I totaleld up all the receipts over the years, for replacement mudguards, and handlebars, wheel truing and spoking, sprockets, carburettor inlet rubers, and the HUDREDS of ruddy clutch ad brake lever's I've broken... PROBABLY could have bought a brand new 315R for the same money! But what the heck....

Back to top.. answer is YES probably is always hard to replace your first... which is why I never have been able to!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not always. I only found it hard the first time I replaced my first proper bike. On the second occasion I replaced my first proper bike, it was easier. It was always going to be harder the first time I replaced my second proper bike though. The second time I replaced my third proper bike was quite tricky, but I managed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it always hard replacing your first proper bike? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

I have no idea

Stopped there really.

OP you got Teffed the fuck out and you're not even new. Ha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Known a few people with Hornets who have said the same thing.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hard getting rid of my first bike although only a year old it was that fucked nobody wanted it Very Happy

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, even if you buy the same model of bike they all feel a bit different from the set up the wear etc.

All my CBRs have felt a bit different to each other.

My latest one gives me pins and needles in my fingers. My old ones didn't.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Nope, even if you buy the same model of bike they all feel a bit different from the set up the wear etc.

All my CBRs have felt a bit different to each other.

My latest one gives me pins and needles in my fingers. My old ones didn't.

That's called getting old...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it always hard replacing your first proper bike? Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Didn't give it a second thought, what was there to think about, sell 250LC buy 350LC = WIN!

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, your first bike was actually the best of the sport / tour group, (of that generation). They really don't (can't) make 'em like that anymore.
Me? I've bought and sold all sorts, the one that stays is a '97 carby blade, a bit more go, no electronic complications, robust and stupidly reliable. Not the sharpest pencil for a while, fits me like a glove, makes me smile, 'nuff said.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
That's called getting old...

I was afraid that might be the case.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Trouble is, your first bike was actually the best of the sport / tour group, (of that generation). They really don't (can't) make 'em like that anymore.
Me? I've bought and sold all sorts, the one that stays is a '97 carby blade, a bit more go, no electronic complications, robust and stupidly reliable. Not the sharpest pencil for a while, fits me like a glove, makes me smile, 'nuff said.

I think that's part of the problem, it's been an amazing bike.
I'm enjoying the Hornet, just finding it a bit vague and I have to think about where I'm putting my bodyweight to get it to corner where the ZZR kind of told me where to put it.

Had I bought an Enfield I'd probably be enjoying the novelty too much to notice, but I didn't.

Last edited by Wonko The Sane on 09:40 - 24 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I think that's part of the problem, it's been an amazing bike.
I'm enjoying the Hornet, just finding it a bit vague and I have to think about where I'm putting my bodyweight to get it to corner where the ZZR kind of told me where to put it.

Here's the problem. The ZZR600 was once a top of the line model for Kawasaki. Therefore at the time when it was being designed more was spent on it as it was a flagship bike so. It was a top draw bike.

The late 90s and early to mid 00 600cc nakeds and semi naked bikes are parts bins using parts from other bikes and they were built down to a price.

The Hornet was a cheapened CBR600. Pretty much same engine with some detuning. But lacking the harder shock, the adjustable suspension and the frame was now a box spine frame rather than a twin spar cradle.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I change to?

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold my zzr... bought it back after a year... won't be making that mistake again

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy

My first bike ZXR 750 was a bit of a lemon, shame as liked the bike just constantly breaking down till a terminal engine failure.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having jumped in with both feet to the most powerful thing I could afford immediately after (before, actually) I passed my test, I guess my experience is a bit different to those who worked their way steadily up in power and capacity (although I'd guess a ZZR600 isn't exactly a slouch compared with the much older GPz Turbo I had). But what I went to next* was very different - the first GSXR750. There was a bit of a wrench and a touch of sadness in letting the turbo go, but the GSXR was also a great bike, so I didn't miss the Kwak too much. It did require a different approach to how you rode it, but as everything on the handling front was generally much better, and it's outright performance was similar, it was no bad thing. I did actually enjoy the experience of it being different, and have for most of the other bikes I've owned since.

*Actually, the H2 came before the GSXR, but that was just the fairground ride from hell Laughing and I still had the Turbo.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought replacing my first road bike would be harder the longer I left it, so I got another KMX 200 5years after selling the first one. Turns out 13-14years later you still see them crop up for sale on EBay and though always tatty they arnt that much more expensive. I think it's because the world moved on and people discovered KTM's etc. Parts prices have risen massively more than the bikes though.

Quite a few of my old bikes are still cheap or affordable today though, about the most expensive between then and now prices are the TZR250 2ma, but ZX6R's are probably cheaper than in 2008 when I sold mine, as they are an everymans bike like CBR600's etc.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:55 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: I do not want to replace my first "big" bike. Reply with quote

But there again it was a GPz 305, basically a bored out 250 Scorpion which died the way most of them did, it ate it's gearbox! The 250 box could not cope with the 305 power (???) and it lunched the box.

Got an NTV 650 after that, so does that count as my first "big" bike? If it does I am ok, got another one!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have bought that bike a pint, if it managed to make the cam last long enough to kill the gearbox. I'd say it did you proud!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it hard. When I've changed bikes it's been because I want a better or different one, so I've never craved for my old one back. Perhaps a bit different with the Fazer and SV, I sometimes want the Fazer back for it's turning circle and top end power, but the SV is still much more fun and louder, and makes me look cooler.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big bike is still with me, that is the first big bike that I purchased myself and wasn't leant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2