Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know their bugs? I have an infestation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Anyone know their bugs? I have an infestation Reply with quote

I'm in the Netherlands atm staying at my girlfriends student accommodation. There are these tiny bugs in her room that usually come out at night. I thought they were bed bugs, but after some Googling, they look nothing like bed bugs. These things bite though, they woke me up twice last night after feeling a sharp scratch and seeing one of them clinging onto me.

This morning I washed my mattress sheets and vacuumed the mattress and in the mattress there was a thin layer of fine white powder. Similar to fine sand. Dead skin? Eggs? Coke? I don't know, anyway I vacuumed it all up.

I bought some insect spray today and fumigated the room for a few hours, but tonight I've seen some more bugs so obviously that didn't work. I found a bug and sprayed it directly with insect spray (this spray is meant for cockroaches apparently) but even after drowning it in spray, it just walked out as though nothing happened. So I squished it.

I want to know what they are because then I'll be closer to figuring out how to get rid of them. I want to know where they breed and where their eggs are. I couldn't find anything on the mattress. Could it be a job for the landlord? And any ideas what kind of bugs they are? The closest things I could find online were the cigarette beetle but apparently these don't bite.

https://oi68.tinypic.com/2dufpcp.jpg
https://oi65.tinypic.com/21aa7ex.jpg
https://oi67.tinypic.com/5al11s.jpg

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I speak on behalf of all of BCF when I say that for a full conclusion we require pictures of your girlfriend.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like a ladybird.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Ebola flea. You now have Ebola.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth and Shaggy nailed it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:43 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a toxic fogger. Enjoy the carnage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these things use Argon gas to fill the room, like you'd have in a server room/data centre etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that I am sat here with a cannula in my arm and going to the hospital daily for IV antibiotics having been bitten by something at Le Mans last weekend.

Kill them with fire.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
All I know is that I am sat here with a cannula in my arm and going to the hospital daily for IV antibiotics having been bitten by something at Le Mans last weekend.

Kill them with fire.

It was a pesky French man wasn't it?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebola bug, pah! It's an AIDS fly, you now have aids Thumbs Up

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a bread beetle, aka drugstore beetle. But they don't bite. So it's not one of them.

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpet beetle? although they don't bite.. Thinking

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell from the pics... is it spotty? If it is, it could be a sap beetle. They do bite.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Looks like a bread beetle, aka drugstore beetle. But they don't bite. So it's not one of them.

I think you may have the answer. It does look like one, plus;
Quote:
The drugstore beetle lives in obligatory symbiosis with a yeast fungus, which is passed on to the offspring by covering the eggs with it.

Quote:
While adult beetles do not feed, they are adept at chewing holes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore_beetle

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:
The drugstore beetle lives in obligatory symbiosis with a yeast fungus, which is passed on to the offspring by covering the eggs with it.

Quote:

It was my very first thought when I saw it, but with you saying they bit you... it threw me off, as they're not really known for biting.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your mrs have any plants in the room?

Also, as garth said, pics of the lady friend would help matters.

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:28 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

It was my very first thought when I saw it, but with you saying they bit you... it threw me off, as they're not really known for biting.

Yep that's what I thought. It is either a cigarette beetle or a drugstore beetle. The only difference from the two that I can tell is that the drugstore beetle has grooves going down its back, whereas the cigarette beetle is smooth. So yeah they're probably cigarette beetles.

I'm starting to think the thing that bit me wasn't one of those bugs. Thinking about it, it bit me at about 4am and I was still half asleep so I just flicked it off and went back to sleep - I just assumed it was a cigarette beetle. Looking back though, I'd been staying here a week and hadn't been bitten, and suddenly I was bitten twice in one night. So it was probably some other weird critter in my bed that bit me that night.

Tracer1234 wrote:
Does your mrs have any plants in the room?

Also, as garth said, pics of the lady friend would help matters.

She's away atm but will be back in a few days. There are no plants. I asked her, she said there's some pepper in the wardrobe. I know there's some other packaged food in there like dry noodles and such so when she's back we're gonna empty it all out Thumbs Up

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:17 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Irish Beetle ...

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder614/250x250/60333614/look-at-me-now-im-look-at-me-im-irish-now.jpg

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could they be weevils?
Flour bugs?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1