Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike - Honda CBR600RR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jamess051
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:21 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: First bike - Honda CBR600RR Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm doing my DAS course soon and was keen on getting a GSX-R600 as my first bike. I've now come away from that idea due to comments from experienced bikers about how I'd become a kidney donor, but was reading on MCN that a Honda CBR600RR is more forgiving and would work as a first bike. So I'm now torn between a SV-650 and the Honda.

Please could people let me know their thoughts on this? I want a bike that I can use for commuting to work and enjoy at the weekends, but I'm very keen on not becoming a kidney donor!

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can become an organ donor on any bike.
IMO you'd be wise to appreciate that no matter what bike you get, you'll look longingly at other bikes within a year.
So I'd go for whatever good used bike comes up cheaply in your area, and then spend a year deciding what qualities you really want from a bike.
You can only understand what qualities you really want after you've been riding for a while.

Are you just interested in riding like a maniac, or is the bike going to be a commuter tool, or are you hoping to go touring etc etc.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also organs other than kidneys believe it or not

jamess051
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:47 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
IMO you'd be wise to appreciate that no matter what bike you get, you'll look longingly at other bikes within a year.
So I'd go for whatever good used bike comes up cheaply in your area, and then spend a year deciding what qualities you really want from a bike.
You can only understand what qualities you really want after you've been riding for a while.

Are you just interested in riding like a maniac, or is the bike going to be a commuter tool, or are you hoping to go touring etc etc.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. The bike is mainly going to be a commuter tool but I'm keen on getting something that's relatively fast too that I can enjoy on evenings/weekends. I'm not planning on touring yet but would look to do that in a few years time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. The bike is mainly going to be a commuter tool but I'm keen on getting something that's relatively fast too that I can enjoy on evenings/weekends. I'm not planning on touring yet but would look to do that in a few years time.

Most bikes are 'relatively' fast, it's just some are faster than others.
If someone offered you a 0-60mph in 3.2s car, you'd bite their hand off. That's SV650 figures. The CBRs and upwards can snip a second off that, easily, and do licence-losing, prison sentence speeds in first gear.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:
The bike is mainly going to be a commuter tool but I'm keen on getting something that's relatively fast too that I can enjoy on evenings/weekends.

Personally I hate using sportbikes in traffic (as a commute usually is).

There's loads of options out there.
Don't make any decisions until you've passed your DAS, but use the time to visit bike shops and decide what bikes fit you best.

IMO I think the Dual sport bikes are best for traffic use, but everyone's different.

As for 'relatively fast', as others have said, there aren't many bikes that aren't fast relative to a car... Maybe some of the fat arse cruisers but really not many.

Your 1st bike is still a learning tool.
You will learn for the rest of your biking life, but the first year after you pass your test is the time that happens the most.
You will most likely drop it (drop in a car park or moving it around the garage, as opposed to sliding it down the road) as most do (Not all but most) and body plastic can be expensive.
I'm sure your training school has explained the riding gear you need, but if you're commuting then there's a fair bit more you'll want as well.
So just think of the 1st big bike as a cheap thing to learn on and get the best value for money that fits you best.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:
relatively fast

Compared to what?

[DAMMIT, beaten to it]

Have you ridden any 600cc+ bike yet? If so, have you opened it up - I mean, properly bounced it off the rev limiter?

A workmate chopped his CBR600RR in for a CBR600F because the F is more usable. If you're going IL4 sportsbike, I'd suggest that as a default, then find reasons to get something different.

But I wouldn't use an IL4 sportsbike as a commuter. Others will (and shall) disagree, but the IL4s I've tried have only got fun when they're already going faster than I want.

That's where the danger lies (IMO), that an IL4 encourages you to chase higher speeds. Contrast with my 800 twin that delivers decent torque off the line and up to any speed that I want to reach, without begging to be ragged to licence losing speeds.

Then there's the riding position. The GSXR, RR and even the SV650S all have you crouched over the tank (see www.cycle-ergo.com). I can't be doing with that, even a 600F was too head-first for my tastes and back.

Anyway, you're putting the cart well before the horse. Tests first, then decide what you want based on your experience with your training bike, and some test rides.

And I'd double-down on the advice to assume that you'll guess wrong with your first bike. So don't fret it too much, just get something that'll be easy enough to sell on, and build up some experience and a list of likes and dislikes.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First bike - Honda CBR600RR Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:
GSX-R600...a Honda CBR600RR ... SV-650 !

You haven't mentioned your size.
If you really want a sportsbike and you're on the smaller size, the little 300 Ninja seems quite good, also the 600 ninja (or whatever that's now called), and the R6 Yamaha as well (Just for the full set of Japanese manufacturers Laughing )

jamess051
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:54 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First bike - Honda CBR600RR Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
jamess051 wrote:
GSX-R600...a Honda CBR600RR ... SV-650 !

You haven't mentioned your size.
If you really want a sportsbike and you're on the smaller size, the little 300 Ninja seems quite good, also the 600 ninja (or whatever that's now called), and the R6 Yamaha as well (Just for the full set of Japanese manufacturers Laughing )

I'm 6'5" - so I don't think I'll fit on them unfortunately. Only just fit on the gsxr and haven't sat on the rr yet.

jamess051
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:05 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
jamess051 wrote:
relatively fast

Compared to what?

[DAMMIT, beaten to it]

Have you ridden any 600cc+ bike yet? If so, have you opened it up - I mean, properly bounced it off the rev limiter?

A workmate chopped his CBR600RR in for a CBR600F because the F is more usable. If you're going IL4 sportsbike, I'd suggest that as a default, then find reasons to get something different.

But I wouldn't use an IL4 sportsbike as a commuter. Others will (and shall) disagree, but the IL4s I've tried have only got fun when they're already going faster than I want.

That's where the danger lies (IMO), that an IL4 encourages you to chase higher speeds. Contrast with my 800 twin that delivers decent torque off the line and up to any speed that I want to reach, without begging to be ragged to licence losing speeds.

Then there's the riding position. The GSXR, RR and even the SV650S all have you crouched over the tank (see www.cycle-ergo.com). I can't be doing with that, even a 600F was too head-first for my tastes and back.

Anyway, you're putting the cart well before the horse. Tests first, then decide what you want based on your experience with your training bike, and some test rides.

And I'd double-down on the advice to assume that you'll guess wrong with your first bike. So don't fret it too much, just get something that'll be easy enough to sell on, and build up some experience and a list of likes and dislikes.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice, will keep it in mind. The only 600+ bike I've ridden was on my conversion course from 125 - 600 and was on a 650. Definitely didn't open it up though!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First bike - Honda CBR600RR Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:
I'm 6'5"

Depending on how far your commute is, you may find any sportbike an endurance challenge.
Try sitting on as many bikes as possible (always with the owners consent unless you like being punched! Laughing ).
Naked and ADV bikes usually have a bit more leg room than sportbikes.
You could have a play with ; https://cycle-ergo.com/ but don't take it as gospel of course...

jamess051
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First bike - Honda CBR600RR Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
jamess051 wrote:
I'm 6'5"

Depending on how far your commute is, you may find any sportbike an endurance challenge.
Try sitting on as many bikes as possible (always with the owners consent unless you like being punched! Laughing ).
Naked and ADV bikes usually have a bit more leg room than sportbikes.
You could have a play with ; https://cycle-ergo.com/ but don't take it as gospel of course...

Thank you - the commute is 20 miles each way. Will take your advice and sit on some Naked and ADV bikes to find the best one!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:47 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSX650F / FA has sports-bike looks with with a more upright, roomy riding position. Might be worth considering.

The other thing to ponder is (quite seriously) putting a pad on the seat to increase the seat-to-peg distance.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been mentioned, there is nothing inherently wrong with getting a 600RR as a first bike. I did two years on a scooter and then got the Honda 650F. Little less power than the 600RR and a bit more upright which suits me as like you I do most of my riding time commuting 10 miles each way through London traffic. Still plenty of power for fun at the weekends, although it does run out of steam above 130mph (allegedly...), whereas the 600RR will just keep powering.

Ask yourself honestly how big of a dick you are. I think this is what it boils down to. We all have dick moments willy wangling with the BMW 330 off the lights, but will you say when the time isn't right off you go mate? If you can't help yourself a sports bike might not be for you.

I would also backup the sports bike will kill you on long rides school of thought. Brighton and back on my 650 kills me. Neck hit by the wind above 80mph, wrists take a bashing with the leaned over position. I'm 6"2 and hamstrings are in pieces - I was walking like John Wayne along the seafront. I would absolutely not want to do any touring on it, well nothing that involved more than a couple of hundred miles a day.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:30 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a video somewhere of me passing someone at 140. He was doing around 65/70. He looked like 10mph... It's a plenty quick bike. You can easily die on it. Same with any bike.

Just buy what you like.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who asks me about first bikes usually gets, "buy a shitter and keep it for a year or two". My first big bike was dropped a few times and ended up sliding down the road, fortunately I wasn't too bothered at the time because it wasn't £5k bike, more like a £500 bike - without any fairings to replace! But I would of been gutted to bin a pristine gixxer.

Two mates of mine are doing their DAS soon and planning to go out and get sports bike, they say I'm not helpful when I suggest getting a cheap old bike for starting out on. Hopefully they prove me wrong and their hard earned doesn't end up sliding down the road.

Sensible aside, the 600RR > SV650 imo - I don't like twins, much prefer IL4 engines.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Sensible aside, the 600RR > SV650 imo - I don't like twins, much prefer IL4 engines.

I agree with everything you said except preferring IL4s.
Personally I had my fill of IL4s and now much prefer twins Laughing

Thankfully we all have different preferences or else we'd all be riding exactly the same model bike, drinking the same brand of beer and trying to bed the same woman (and she'd be a real spoilt bitch) Wink

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:19 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say for a commute I would probably not go for the CBR. I had a play on one of those and I felt cramped on it. I thought it was tiny, very uncomfortable to ride. I felt like my knees were around my ears and I was on a mini moto.

I'm a short arse at 5 foot 6.

I would not want to spend any longer than a short bit of fun on one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The GSX650F / FA has sports-bike looks with with a more upright, roomy riding position. Might be worth considering.

The other thing to ponder is (quite seriously) putting a pad on the seat to increase the seat-to-peg distance.

Mind bendingly dull though. ER6? Z800?

Personally I commute more than double your distance on a GSXR1000 most days. A commute is fine on a sports bike. Preferably for me as I find them narrower when filtering.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you behave?

'Overtake Everything' mentality is a big problem on these kinds of bikes.

With "bullet out a gun" kind of acceleration I find myself performing overtakes in gaps of only a few cars on NSL roads...

I'm an idiot for having one and it will get me killed. I need to sell this blasted R1 and leave the thrills for my track bike Rolling Eyes.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't limit yourself to a 600 on the basis that 'anything bigger and you'll die' - you can die very quickly on a 600 too.

don't think you can only be fast and have fun on a sports bike either. supermotos are superb fun.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use my RR for commuting .

if I was to get a bike to go to work and back everyday id defo go back for a naked/faired CB650 or similar. much easier in traffic (rr gets VERY hot stood still in traffic)

however if you want a weekend toy then boy is it fun round the lanes.

Edit: ok you haven't even passed your DAS yet. imo i'd go see how you are on the trainer 600's before you even think about a race rep. personally I wasn't that great and if youdve sat me on a rr straight after my test idve probably fallen off it at the first corner.

just because MCN say the bike is user friendly and easy to ride Im pretty sure they mean for people who are competent not newbies!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir wrote:
don't think you can only be fast and have fun on a sports bike either. supermotos are superb fun.

This.

I cannot buy another supermoto. I'll die or get banned again. I have no self-restraint when on one because, for me, it's as much fun as you can have on two wheels. I ride like a fucking tool, back wheel everywhere. It might "only" have been a 65BHP 500, but it weighed less than a learner 125, stuck like shit on a blanket and would spit you off in a heartbeat if you were not fully focused.

All bikes can get you in trouble, even a learner 125. Get something comfy, for your first "big bike" almost anything will be plenty fast enough for the first year or so, and give you time to decide what you want to get.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamess051 wrote:

ZZR600
Had one as my first bike for commuting on for the past four years, easy and cheap enough to pick up and you'll not be too upset if you scratch it etc

plenty to enjoy on a weekend but being a sports touring bike it's not too bad in commuting traffic

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:23 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
you'll not be too upset if you scratch it etc

You must have the memory of a goldfish. I remember a multi page cry fest about a small, VERY small dink in your tank. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2