Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Internet quality/telephone cables

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Internet quality/telephone cables Reply with quote

Hi all,
Yet another random noob question from someone who thinks mobile fones are instruments for government to spie on us.
Right, I'm with talktalk for my fone line rental & broadband.
I'm not planning on changing providers as had no problems & that's with at least 3 of us using internet simultaneously.
Talktalk say I should get speeds of up to 17mbs, (fibre IS available at my addressed btw but
according to the tests available on-line, I'm getting more like 6mbs.
Even moving the router can increase it by about 20%.

So, telephone wires.
Surely that's the weakest link, no?

The cable comes into house via a small box in bathroom then it disappears & comes out in my hall to a standard phone socket (into which router is plugged into)
I know these internal wires are at least 25+yrs old, cos I remember my late father installing them.

Would upgrading/replacing the internal wires improve things by much?
An ex BT engineer suggested it would, as its my weakest link.
& it looks as complicated as rewiring a plug, as b

Opinions?

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Internet quality/telephone cables Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Yet another random noob question from someone who thinks mobile fones are instruments for government to spie on us.

They're Shifty

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:45 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. But you're still bottlenecking a fibre connection through phonelines. Fibre to the hub isn't worth its brand name.
I'm with Virgin and have no intentions of ever leaving. Their customer service is lacklustre, but I rarely have to ring them to find out.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try laying new cable direct between them as a test. Just buy 10 meters of telecom cable and make the connections as they are in the boxes now, then test.

If it works, then worry about going through the walls/under floors/in ceilings etc.

I've been meaning to get round to rewiring/ diverting mine as I have extensions laid under the floor and a bit of a strange route which I could probably halve, but to be honest I was told I would get 30-33, and I get 32Mbps all day long so I can't really be arsed.

Give it a crack. You can buy 100m from screwfix for £20 but if you want 20 meters let me know as I think I have a drum in the garage and I'm happy to post some to you Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. But you're still bottlenecking a fibre connection through phonelines. Fibre to the hub isn't worth its brand name.
I'm with Virgin and have no intentions of ever leaving. Their customer service is lacklustre, but I rarely have to ring them to find out.

Virgin is brilliant if you can get it. Phoneline broadband is pretty mediocre and is just there to let BT et al get the last bits of profit from their state provided telephone network. After that I suspect we will be looking at pole mounted microtowers in the street, I can't see anyone investing the money to put real fibre down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:16 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Internet quality/telephone cables Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:

They're Shifty

At first I was wondering why you was just correcting "they're" when you've also got "fones (phones)" and "spie (spy)" to do Thinking but then I reread you haven't worked out that they just put nano chips in your brain and don't require the need of mobiles to spy on us, they just want you to think that Shifty

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the best speed. You need router connected to the master socket coming into the house... Not a extension.

Then use Cat 5 or 6 to connect to the computers.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
You could try laying new cable direct between them as a test. Just buy 10 meters of telecom cable and make the connections as they are in the boxes now, then test.

If it works, then worry about going through the walls/under floors/in ceilings etc.

I've been meaning to get round to rewiring/ diverting mine as I have extensions laid under the floor and a bit of a strange route which I could probably halve, but to be honest I was told I would get 30-33, and I get 32Mbps all day long so I can't really be arsed.

Give it a crack. You can buy 100m from screwfix for £20 but if you want 20 meters let me know as I think I have a drum in the garage and I'm happy to post some to you Thumbs Up

Hi,
That's along the lines of what I was thinking as there's a mixture of old cable & really old cable
The offer of telephone wire is appreciated & I would gladly cover postage.
Talktalk say I should get "up to 17mbs" but I have never seen that, at any time mostly its around 7 or 8mbs Sad
& I would like to eliminate as many variables as I can, before I consider switching providers, which I don't really want to do as ive never had any problems with talktalk customer service cos never needed to call them Smile

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
To get the best speed. You need router connected to the master socket coming into the house... Not a extension.

Then use Cat 5 or 6 to connect to the computers.

Hi,
I fully intend to do this, just not yet & currently its an impossibility.
The telephone wire comes in via bathroom, cable disappears & then reappears in downstars hall, where I have the 'main" socket.
If I put the router there, it means laying loads of cable from that socket to my living room.etc.

I may give it a try, just to see if it makes any huge difference before I go about replacing the 25+yes old cable.

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i thought i'd update this, if anyones interested.
ok, so telephone line enters house via bathroom window-sill, using 1 of those small junction boxes.
the line obviously comes back out of this box, but who knows where it goes, as bathroom has been extensively worked on in the last 25yrs & its now a wet room.
the telephone line DOES re-appear though, outside the bathroom with a single cable coming out from behind the skirting board & then it goes up 6ft (yes, seriously) to a "bt master socket" (according to google).
this is the socket i have my router plugged into, as well as the house fone.
so, if theres any "weak link" its between both boxes, right? (seeing as the cables antique)

i have contacted my telephone line/broadband provider who have confirmed my internet speed has never gone over 9mbs in the past 12 months. (i live less than 2miles from the telephone exchange btw)
they have promised to look into this Rolling Eyes

any suggestions?

what annoys me is, im paying a tenner a month more than their current offer (unlimited broadbrand, up to 17mbs)
i wouldnt mind paying the extra, if i was getting a decent bloody service!

cheers,
GAZ

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:43 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speeds does your actual router sync at. It'll be 'up to'.

berzerker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:25 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a DP (junction box) somewhere on the outside of your property. Open it up and connect a couple of inches of telephone cable with a master socket attached then plug your router directly into this using the shortest cable you have. The speed at thsi point will indicate whether your cabling indoors is the issue.
Unfortunatley your telecoms providers cable are likely to be very old and possibly not even up to supporting you broadband providers claimed maximum speeds.
Bear in mind they are quoting 'up to' so the only guarantee you are being given is that your speed will not exceed 17mbps. Other issues such as contention and the business end 'profile' will limit your speed.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1