Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mobile phone mount -recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Willy_westside
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:53 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Mobile phone mount -recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm after a sturdy mobile phone mount that won't fly off whilst blitzing down the motorway. Does anyone have one? or any suggestions? Want one to attache to my handle bars so I can use the satnav whilst riding as my sense of direction is shocking.

Thanks in advance
WW

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one of these type of cheap waterprrof jobbies

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Phone-Case-bag-with-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-/322044429860?var=&hash=item4afb580624:m:muCr47YyyqQ6zT3WmSL1lXw

though ive fitted a bar across the inside of my screen which it sits on, as such it basically gets on wind so not sure how they fair against full on wind

shdaxner
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:10 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
i have one of these type of cheap waterprrof jobbies

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Phone-Case-bag-with-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-/322044429860?var=&hash=item4afb580624:m:muCr47YyyqQ6zT3WmSL1lXw

though ive fitted a bar across the inside of my screen which it sits on, as such it basically gets on wind so not sure how they fair against full on wind

Any chance you could stick a pic up mate of how you have this mounted?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn by turn via BT audio to a helmet mounted bluetooth unit surely - no need to take eyes off the road then.

If you wanted large format Navigation by GPS then an old 7" tablet mounted in a tank bag clear window with a link to shared WIFI on a phone would be the way forward.

But why make it any more complicated than audio only.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the screen, i cut a copper bar down, flattened the ends and drilled holes in the ends of the bar, screws straight in with the existing fairing screws.

works fine but i have a large phone case/phone so it does block the view of my speedo at times but not an issue if i'm using a satnav with gps speedo on it
https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Stevie_J/IMG_20160703_134534_zpset7hghjc.jpg

Willy_westside
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:49 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Turn by turn via BT audio to a helmet mounted bluetooth unit surely - no need to take eyes off the road then.

If you wanted large format Navigation by GPS then an old 7" tablet mounted in a tank bag clear window with a link to shared WIFI on a phone would be the way forward.

But why make it any more complicated than audio only.

See at the minute I just put my phone in my jacket and have a set of headphones in and that works but get's iffy at complected junctions and when you're on long stretches when you want to know how much longer you're on there for.
When I'm not doing that I put my phone in the map pocket of my tank bag but I don't like that either as you have to look much further down to see it and the angle of the tank bag makes it more difficult to see so takes much longer rather than a quick glance down. I think the best thing would be to have it mounted on the handle bars or similar location like Shinigami has done.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otterbox do some very good ( and waterproof) cases, assuming you don't fancy clipping 700 quids worth of Galaxy S7 to your bike.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Ultimate Add Ons handlebar pro mount or something like that

Was only a cheapo job but rigidly grips the handlebar, has a ram style ball mount with a threaded nut on top for extra security, and the clamp for my mobile grips it tight enough so I cant rip it out with my bare hands.

Will do for now like.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it helps, mines been in place for 2 years and hasn't fallen off, though I don't often use the sat nav, only if i'm off on a longish trip or somewhere i'm geographically oblivious to

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:31 - 08 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ultimate addons mount and hardcase for my old Samsung galaxy, worked brilliantly and was kept waterproof in torrential rain. Changed phones without thinking and am now stuck with a cheaper waterproof fabric case, which is ok, but steams up and has a lot of glare.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram mount. Dear but good.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Ram mount. Dear but good.

He speaks the truth. They do various mounting components and cases.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram mount x-grip

https://defylife.co.uk/assets/images/posts/ram-mount-x-grip-on-bmw-g650x-challenge.jpg

Works well, and even holds my phone in when off road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:

Had one of those. First big trip and it soaked my phone on the way down, and the zip failed on the a42 on the way back up.

I bought a Givi one that was a bit pricey, but it works really well.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Ultimate Addons case for my S3, but the power cable was a bit fragile (not good enough strain relief so the cable outer popped out of the connector leaving thin wires to support their own weight - on two cables as I bought a second one following the first failuer) and the plastic clips to hold it shut failed meaning it ended up with velcro straps around it.

I replaced it with a Peli Case (the transparent version of this) bolted to a RAM ball on the base and a hole drilled in the bottom for a USB power lead to go through (which was then sealed). Mount the whole thing using standard RAM hardware.

It is absolutely waterproof and properly rugged. The only downside is that you can't operate the touch screen through it - but set the satnav before leaving and operate the music/phone through the bluetooth intercom and you don't need to. Looks a bit chunky though, so more suited for a touring/adventure bike than a sports bike or hipster machine.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sporttour.com/upload/givi_s951_iphone4.jpg

I use one of these jobbies from Givi after getting fed up with the cheapy £10 eBay specials constantly breaking or leaking. They come in dedicated sizes for different flavours of phone, about the £30-40 mark. Totally rock solid and has a quick release button to seperate the phone holding bit from the mount if you really want to take it off for whatever reason.

Willy_westside
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:57 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooohhhhh. I like the look of the Givi ones.

adriansk
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oWi1PLid2is/maxresdefault.jpg (can't attach the image for some reason)

I've got handlebars as above, where could I attach a phone holder?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these to give you a ball mount on your clutch or brake lever bolts, or one of these to give you a ball mount on your brake master cylinder. Then buy a holder compatible with RAM or 1 inch balls.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 346 days between these two posts...
icebreaking This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1