Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mobile Phone holder.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Mobile Phone holder. Reply with quote

So, looking to get a mobile phone holder for the Tracer.

Any dos or do not's in terms of mounting?
Products to go for / avoid?

I have seen the Givi S957B? Any good/ Alternatives.

(my Phone is a Google Pixel XL)

tyia Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:12 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that a jacket pocket works well. It keeps it safe and dry and more importantly I can't hear or see it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist Wink

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram mounts are very good, but not cheap.
They cover a whole variety of mounting options, well worth a look.

I have one that mounts a Garmin hiking GPS on my bike - it works as a very basic road sat nav which is all I (very rarely) need on the bike.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a RAM ball - one of these on the Pan, replacing one of the handlebar bolts or one of handlebar u-clamp variants on the other bikes. You can get them that mount on the brake/clutch lever brackets or on top of the master cyclinders (but remember to leave the original clamp half in place if you use them).
An extension arm, then a transparent Peli micro case with some additional foam inside it pads out the phone and a RAM mount base screwed to it.

A hole in the bottom of the case lets a usb charging cable come through, which was then sealed up.

It's bulky, but fits nicely in the otherwise open space between the bars on the Pan. It is absolutely weatherproof, but does need the case to be opened to operate the phone. Not a big issue as you don't want to be messing with it whilst moving anyway, but you need to actually pull over rather than do a quick press whilst sat at traffic lights.

I got through some cheaper mounts in pretty short order before settling on this, which has been rock solid over about 40,000 miles. It ended up costing me about £50, it is worth shopping around for RAM bits as the price can be quite variable. The phone can stay in its leather case (which doubles as a wallet for me), which is an added bonus as many of the more dedicated mounts need you to put in either the bare phone or the phone in a tight skin sleeve.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice thread!
Gives me the idea to 3D Print my own.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:31 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a givi holder to good effect for a while. I had a cheap one before that and the zip failed at 90ish on the a42. Came of the donning ton sliproad with my hand on the phone.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one, it works ace!
I might sell them online Smile

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I used a givi holder to good effect for a while. I had a cheap one before that and the zip failed at 90ish on the a42. Came of the donning ton sliproad with my hand on the phone.
I hope you reported yourself to the police and requested your 6 points and that the kitten received a good christian burial.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I made one, it works ace!
I might sell them online Smile

Oh, be interested to see your creation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Grip are RAM clones that work very well, £12-ish on Fleabay, had it for about 6 months, did 150 miles yesterday with my One+ 3 on it doing satnav duties. It held a Nexus 6P before that, but that's about as big as it will hold. There are bar or mirror mount options for mounting, and the USB port does what it says on the tin.

Just make sure you have a waterproof case/sturdy zip-lock bag handy, this is the UK after all, it usually rains.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xx-grip.TRS0&_nkw=x-grip&_sacat=0

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Missenden Fella suggests this:

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08-on/bike-console-waterproof-case-for-iphone-7-with-ram-1-ball
icebreaking This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: DIY mobile phone mount x Honda CBR600 Reply with quote

icebreaking wrote:
SPAM

hey fuckhole, if you're going to spam your garbage fucking videos at least learn to film in landscape.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1