Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New rider, weight and bike advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnastoby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: New rider, weight and bike advice? Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new here and was just looking for some advice.

I'm keen to get mobile instead of relying on public transport however with the cost of driving lessons and then insurance and running a car being ridiculous, I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle.

I'm 6'3" and weigh around 25 Stones, I want to know if a 125CC would be ok for me? I know I could do DAS and get a bigger bike but I'd like to start with a cheap 125cc and see how I find it. So my question is would a 125cc be ok for me and if so should i be looking at a scooter or a bike?

I know I won't be the quickest thing on the road but if could get to 50mph that would be fine for me. I'm just worried about my weight, although I do have a push bike and that's not snapped in half on me!

Any advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a local bike training school and talk to them about doing you CBT (which is obligatory) and say you're thinking about doing your DAS as well.
During your CBT you'll know if you want to continue or not.
Hopefully you will and they'll let you have a go around their training area (aka car park) on a larger training bike and you'll forget the idea of sticking to a 125 within a millisecond.

Your size does limit you on 125s but there are a few that could be OK.
However I suspect you'll look at the benefits of a bigger bike and the financial benefit of getting away from 125s, and make a wise decision to do your DAS.
If not, come back and ask the question then.

Barnastoby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Find a local bike training school and talk to them about doing you CBT (which is obligatory) and say you're thinking about doing your DAS as well.
During your CBT you'll know if you want to continue or not.
Hopefully you will and they'll let you have a go around their training area (aka car park) on a larger training bike and you'll forget the idea of sticking to a 125 within a millisecond.

Your size does limit you on 125s but there are a few that could be OK.
However I suspect you'll look at the benefits of a bigger bike and the financial benefit of getting away from 125s, and make a wise decision to do your DAS.
If not, come back and ask the question then.

Thanks for your quick response! I know about the CBT that's something that worries me, don't they give you a 50cc to do it? I don't think a 50cc would even move with me on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnastoby wrote:
I know about the CBT that's something that worries me, don't they give you a 50cc to do it? I don't think a 50cc would even move with me on it!

No, it's on a 125 which will be able to carry you for that but it'll definately make you appreciate that a 125 is really too small for you long term (irrelevant of the actual size of the bike).
You will look a bit like you're riding a mini-moto but you'll just have to suffer it for a day.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an MSX125.

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-honda-grom-review-2.jpg

Do eeeeeet.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Oh my god, that rider is a giant!!! Shocked

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
and you'll forget the idea of sticking to a 125 within a millisecond.

I actually miss my R125 quite a lot Sad . Although, having a bigger bike is also rather nice.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wanting to enjoy the experience, I would go DAS. Most people decide the want to go bigger fairly quick, but with yourself, I think you would enjoy the whole 2 wheeled thing alot more on a bigger bike. So my Penny Coin Penny Coin is DAS DAS DAS.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:
and you'll forget the idea of sticking to a 125 within a millisecond.

I actually miss my R125 quite a lot Sad . Although, having a bigger bike is also rather nice.

There's always one... Rolling Eyes

I do like smaller bikes as well, but 125 is just that bit too small as far as I'm concerned.
A 250 is just about as small as I'd want to go Laughing

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I'd have to agree actually. As much as I miss it, it'd have been more enjoyable with a 250cc engine.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't miss anything smaller that a 600. Can't stand little underpowered bikes despite what verbal diarrhea Tef will come up with on how good they are.

Do your DAS and you will be able to pick up a 500cc+ bike cheaper than a 125. You will feel comfier and safer on it than any 125 Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre tef....(I hope)
Your height and build will make you look like donkey Kong stealing a bike on most anything.
Fuck that....i am of similar build, a 125 still carries me at 50...although it takes a while.

Yes, do go forth and licence.....but, don't believe the 'you must buy a cheap 600 first' bullshit. Or the 'don't buy a new bike, you'll drop it' crowd.

Get the license and the bike YOU want and fuck the rest of them.
That's why most of us ride bikes.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

'you must buy a cheap 600 first'.
'don't buy a new bike, you'll drop it'

This is good advice.

Kentol750 wrote:

Get the license and the bike YOU want and fuck the rest of them.
That's why most of us ride bikes.

This is better advice Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:12 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: New rider, weight and bike advice? Reply with quote

Barnastoby wrote:
I'm just worried about my weight, although I do have a push bike ...

No licence required; no road tax, no MOT, no insurance, no PETROL even.. A-N-D it saves you gym fees, so you can stop worrying about your weight.... tackles so many problems all in one...

Anyway CBT sn't a licence, its a first lesson; unsupervised L-Plating is so folk can go learn to be able to pass tests, not dodge'em.

125's can be very useful cheap wheels; but they are at best barely adequate transport; they aren't fast, they aren't wonderfully comfy, and like any bike, you get wet when it rains, whilst trying to dodge all the twits, warm ad dry in cars who seem to need an eye-test 'cos they ever see bikes!

As to how big you are and whether you'd look like a sumo wrestler on a donkey... forget it! As quip, you are lucky if any one who SHOULD be looking takes any ruddy notice! Besides that, its a way to work, not a fashion show, and helmet hair and the drowned dog 'look' dont have too much atheistic appeal regardless!

Yup.. bike will probably be a little lathargic tryig to haul 25stone about, but, you know what, they are designed to! Yor weight IS a little i the upper percntile; I'm about your height and told I've got a bit of a belly at around 14 stone! But hey; I ride a 125, for fun, and eve stick the O/H or daughter on the back.. daughter makes a half full packet of crisps look rather porky, but still, our combined wights aren't much over yours, and I take my life in my own hands, to comment how far over it may be for O/H + me!!!!! But point is 125's are designed to carry two people; you aren't THAT heavy.. so should still do the job...

Bit of pizzicks for you; "Power = Force x Speed" as far as a motorbike goes, the 'force' in question is wind resistance; big chap will tend to give a bigger frontal area for wind resistance to work against. but, difference as the rider gets heavier doesn't go up that much; cos weight gets spread about three dimensions, so twice the weight doesn't mean twice the drag; so needn't knock so much off your top speed, and if you duck down a 'crouch' over the bars, your frotal area is lkely not much bgger than ay-one elses; no reason you shouldn;t be able to go pretty much as quick as any-one else on the same bike. Basically Speed isn't proportional to weight..

Next up; Force = Mass x Acceleration; now force is a facet of power, so now weight does come into the quation, and it will make the bike rather less inclined to accelerate.. its a 125.. it will be anyway.. small difference! As said, I can 2up on a 125, it tales a little more thrashig to get it shifting, and give a bit more time for braking, but, no huge handicap, bike can still make progress.

Likely you will be more comfy on a bigger bike; but they tend to be more expensive to run, as well as get licences up for... your call.

Start with CBT, remember its not a licece just a first lesson; if you are over 17 absolutely no reason they should make you do it on a 50, but stop thinking, start ridng.. go do the course, find out for yourself, what its like, whether you can do it, whether you';ll like it and IF you want to take t any further... whether persng 'cheaps' with a 125 or looking at higher licences for something a bit bigger and less cheap.

CBT is a pretty comprehesive course, intended for absolute beginers; to aswer all your questions; if it dont open yur mouth and ASK! Thats what its for; and will get you far ore clued up than nattering on the net.

Call about; chck the T&C's ask what kit they provide ad what they recommend you have before turning up, and most important what the catering arrangements for lunch are.. the get on and do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise going for full license through DAS if I were you, purely because of your size and age. You'd have to do the CBT anyway, so get your theory booked and then do your CBT.

If you think "oh hell, this is far too fast" then you can stick on a 125 but I highly doubt that will happen. Might as well take out the (buy 125----get bored within 6 months----sell125----get full license) aspect of it. I spent 18 months on a 125, it wasn't a complete waste of time but I wish I had done DAS from the outset.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP hasn't said how old he is, under 19, he's stuck on at best an A1 (125cc restriction)

At 19 & older , he can do a DAS course to an A2

From his starting postiion, for an A license, he'll have to be 24 or older to do a DAS course

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AV02SmdA7X8/hqdefault.jpg

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
OP hasn't said how old he is, under 19, he's stuck on at best an A1 (125cc restriction)

OP did say:
Barnastoby wrote:
I know I could do DAS and get a bigger bike?

Hopefully he understands the requirements for DAS (or A2).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And depends on use for a bike and budget.

If I only wanted two wheels for a cheap mode of ride to work transport in urban areas, a 125cc twist n go scooter would do me proud. I'd rather be called a faggot than not have a decent use for a new fireblade. In fact in 30-40mph city traffic a 125 scooter for say a 5-6mile trip to work would be an infinatly better bike for the job. (this is where all of testosterone ridden bcf says fuck right off is it).

If OP has the need for a bigger bike and the budget to go full DAS then do it. You can pass your test on a 900, but it don't mean you have to buy one or that you can't ride anything else smaller after.

I wouldn't be without a 125 bike no matter what else I can also have in the shed. I don't get the raging boner someone has for 125cc superdreams, but I can see much smiles and laughs if my 125 has sticky supermoto tyres and says KTM on the side.

Its all about the delivery for me not the size of the mill.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:18 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
AI don't get the raging boner someone has for 125cc superdreams,

Oi! I resemble that comment!
However, my affliction for 125 Super-Dreams waxes and wains, usually depending on how want they are to play ball, but it was never all that huge to begin with TBH.. they were Snowie's oy-dee-ah! I actually wanted to do an air-cooled two-smoke... and did... probably aught to have stuck to the broken-benly's!!

I wonder how different history would have been if she'd won the auction on a KH125 instead...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have disc valves for tea coasters, and battered old microns and allspeeds hanging up with the pots and pans on the kitchen ceiling I reckon! I dare say they'd be a few holey pistons being used as pen holders and ash trays by now too.

At least the engines wouldn't take long to build, and everyone knows that burning two stroke oil smells sweeter than four stroke oil too! Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:14 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
At least the engines wouldn't take long to build, and everyone knows that burning two stroke oil smells sweeter than four stroke oil too! Laughing

You know you can burn 2T in a four-stroke, don't you? Wink
Actually, I do use the stuff to lube rings and valves on 4T's during assembly for first fire up....

And what's a 'tea-coaster'? Piston from my DT's frst nip up has been serving ash-tray service since 1986! Holed ones don't tend to work so well, I found Lol!

As to the spannies.. bizarely, I actually have a caravan full of Microns..... for the Super-Dreams!

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'7" and 21 stone. My ybr 125 was just fine. Slow but pulled me up to about 60. Which is certainly fast enough on biscuit wheels.

Just government it a go.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Piston from my DT's frst nip up has been serving ash-tray service since 1986! Holed ones don't tend to work so well, I found Lol!

Liquid Metal works quite well on holed pistons.... Except in an engine of course!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:53 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Liquid Metal works quite well on holed pistons.... Except in an engine of course!

Bit like patching 'designer distressed' jeans, though.... Lumiweld, on the other hand, can work rather well .... and you can pop-em back in the motor after! Though I will confess I haven't welded up a completely holed slug, just the odd one with sunken crown.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2