Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle tank repair, paintless dent repair?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

UKBrad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Motorcycle tank repair, paintless dent repair? Reply with quote

Hello.

I recently and very foolishly made a dent in a friends motorbike by knocking a heater of a shelf on to it and need to have it repaired for him.

I was under the impression I could have a paintless dent repair done to it but after messaging a local company received this reply....

"Hi,

Thankyou for your enquiry. Unfortunately fuel tanks are among the worst things you can Dent!! 99% of fuel tanks are double skinned which means they have an inner skin and an outer! This means you can't access the Dent from the inside! So the other option would be to pull from the outside but again this doesn't work well on fuel tanks as the metal tends to be quite thick!!

So in a nutshell the only option would be to fill and paint it! "

Not the news I was hoping for as that sounds very expensive Sad is there really no hope with have the dent pulled out?

Thanks
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle tank repair, paintless dent repair? Reply with quote

UKBrad wrote:
Hello.

I recently and very foolishly made a dent in a friends motorbike by knocking a heater of a shelf on to it and need to have it repaired for him.

I was under the impression I could have a paintless dent repair done to it but after messaging a local company received this reply....

"Hi,

Thankyou for your enquiry. Unfortunately fuel tanks are among the worst things you can Dent!! 99% of fuel tanks are double skinned which means they have an inner skin and an outer! This means you can't access the Dent from the inside! So the other option would be to pull from the outside but again this doesn't work well on fuel tanks as the metal tends to be quite thick!!

So in a nutshell the only option would be to fill and paint it! "

Not the news I was hoping for as that sounds very expensive Sad is there really no hope with have the dent pulled out?

Thanks

Pictures of the dent would be of help. BCF members may be many things, but psychic they are not. Well, not many of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle tank repair, paintless dent repair? Reply with quote

UKBrad wrote:
! 99% of fuel tanks are double skinned which means they have an inner skin and an outer! This means you can't access the Dent from the inside!

Eh? Are they? I know most of my old crap is over 25 year old but is this really true?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a dent and it is on a clearly visible area of the tank then paintless may not be an option. Tanks are looked at so any tiny defect becomes more obvious than if the ding was on a large area of a car panel.
Regardless of how many skins, the fuel tank material will probably be thicker than car body panel. A typical SCRATCH and Dent repair on a car would probably cost as much as asking a body shop to paint repair the damage.

And pics or it never happened.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:14 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure on any tanks being double skinned. Although a lot of modern bikes tanks are plastic with a cover.

However metal tanks tend to be quite thick metal, and compare to car panels quite curved.

I did get a dent taken out of an H100S2 tank, but it was a very mild dent. Barely visible and in the middle of the (fairly flat) side.

All the best

Katy

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:17 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has used these people with good results https://www.motorcycledentremoval.co.uk

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had one of my tanks resprayed, they repaired a dent by welding a bar on the dent and then pulling it out with a slide hammer, made a good job
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:26 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs pics. Razz

The chances of being able to cleanly pop the dent out and not need to touch up the paint will mostly depend on if it's a 'smooth' dent. If there are any corners / edges to the dent then it's almost certainly going to need repainting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1