Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0f/19/27/0f1927cacaf56a580ac0828e66de5c4c.jpg

No shaft drive. Immensely impractical. But look at it.

LOOK AT IT! LOOK! DON'T EVEN RIDE IT. JUST SPEND YOUR DAY LOOKING AT IT!

Looks like a gay's handbag.
Opinions, eh? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a gay handbag.

Razz

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're a gay handbag.

Razz

Whats some top draw banter right there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're a gay handbag.

Razz

Is that all you got? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ste wrote:
You're a gay handbag.

Razz

Is that all you got? Laughing

He's not a grown man.

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:37 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Quick update Reply with quote

OK, so after all the kind advice, which really is appreciated, I spent the weekend looking for a bike. Sadly the Moto Guzzi I was going to look at got sold so I will find another to go and try. I looked at several BMW models, still mulling that over. The seats were all quite high (Short legs) but they did feel comfortable.

But, a chance conversation on Saturday evening with a great mate of mine saw me get the use of a bike pretty much indefinitely. He doesn't use his Yam FZS1 as he is more into MotoX these days but doesn't really want to sell it (he never sells anything). It's been in his shed for 2 years and he dropped it over yesterday saying I can hang on to it, he might want it back one day but it's better that I use it than it sits in a shed. He even added me to his insurance to save me taking out a new policy with zero no-claims, 20 quid for the year. I am about to pay the road tax on line and will be off to get a new battery for it later. Then it'll be out for a longish gentle ride to get it all moving again. Excellent result.

Like I keep saying to SWMBO (the Mrs) - she might have 500 friends on Faceache, I only have real friends, less than 10 of them. And this guy is one of them. A real top bloke who in the 30 years I've known him has only ever been a really good mate.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:12 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d7/d7dfe614383509199e42f05d43e97693e801b494f4a43d3525375d4912367571.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You meet the nicest people on a Fazer Mr. Green

With one well-known exception, perhaps Rolling Eyes

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:04 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You do now Wink Wink

In fairness, although it looks like a huge deal to some, actually, between this guy and me it's not that big of a deal. I've done similar for him, lent him my Range Rover when the engine went bang in his Ford F150 etc. So many examples of me and him just helping each other out, as real mates do. At least, where we come from they do.

Yes, I am supremely grateful to him, not just for this but for everything, and make no mistake I would do exactly the same for him. If he needed help I would give it, no question.

Anyway, no pics, didn't happen

https://rwhd1a-am3pap001.files.1drv.com/y4pC7ZA8p4FJ002YgohOBDkrKv2YLa7fCe4cSk_H8VTj1bj3reFavNtolxnUGpurQZgrt7uTUajPx_e-jpgaWzM55bDpNm_JCCyCnntSu-eQD40at8ma8HLpsEe7Eu1fWL0X2zFvtzldx_62JpGUw6McuCX49NgAh4Veury9gZBcUHWkilqjlpmYH6PsbJ79IGZSsd81e-fYlJmOlh-Y75SyA/20170626_104137.jpg?psid=1

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

With one well-known exception, perhaps Rolling Eyes

I've always found most of them to be a bit 'twisted'..... but in a good way Cool

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo, where are you at now?

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:14 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, where I'm at is that I have a bike to ride which takes the pressure off me to buy one quickly. Bizarrely it would seem my dislike of chain drive is justified. I've just ordered a chain and sprockets for this bike I've been lent as it's all worn. Chatting to my mate he thinks the chain and front sprocket are original (29k miles) and the back sprocket was changed for one with 2 extra teeth a couple of years back. That explains why I keep wanting to take a gear when in 6th, and also the rather interesting acceleration Laughing

I have to say, this Fazer is an awesome machine. If only it had shaft drive I would buy one. The handling is so well weighted I can almost "think" it round corners. A lot like my old XJR1300 with twice the acceleration.

This weekend will be off looking at a Moto Guzzi or two, I also have a test ride lined up on a BMW R1200R. Once that's done I was planning on having a mooch round the superbike warehouse and a couple of other dealers. I'm just wondering how I will find the twins after so may 4 cylinder machines. Never owned a twin, well not since the days of my old Suzuki X7 back in about 1982.

But, do appreciate the banter/suggestions etc. It all helps, even if it just removes something from what started as a very long list. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get the shaft drive for zero maintenance thing. Chain kits on litre bikes aren't cheap these days, and sometimes, especially in winter when the salt is down, constant chain maintenance in order to get a decent mileage from them can be a pain. And yet, I've never owned a shaft drive bike. I don't think it's anything to do with extra weight, torque-reaction forces or anything like that (although I once tried a BMW Paris-Dakar replica - 900 boxer twin, and the way the rear rose up unnoticed on acceleration, then suddenly dropped down when you let the throttle off, was disconcerting). Just that the kind of bikes I like don't come with it.

But other than that, another positive review of the Fazer thou. Why am I not surprised? Mr. Green

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsolds wrote:
Bizarrely it would seem my dislike of chain drive is justified. I've just ordered a chain and sprockets for this bike I've been lent as it's all worn. Chatting to my mate he thinks the chain and front sprocket are original (29k miles)

Do your cars need to be ultra-low maintenance as well?
Stay away from anything with a cam-belt as they need changing every few years and you'll pay a mechanic a damn site more for them to change than a chain & a couple of sprockets...

You seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill on the whole chain maintenance thing...

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right, but yes, my TDV8 Range Rover has cam chains, not belts. One of the many reasons I chose it over the TDV6 version, well than and 100BHP Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2