Archery - whats the craic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Booked into a beginners course on Monday night in St Helens.

By the Liverpool union club?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah think so, just off the east lancs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the first lesson last night, was firing a 24lb bow on 31" arras

Turns out i have been "firing" wrong for ages, i always fired from the side of my mouth, instructor person said this is wrong wrong wrong an i should be releasing from under my chin - who knew?

Also this was the first time firing using sights, twas weird
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:12 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Turns out i have been "firing" wrong for ages, i always fired from the side of my mouth, instructor person said this is wrong wrong wrong an i should be releasing from under my chin - who knew?

... I wonder if that depends on the bow? Went on a work 'team building' exercise thing just the other week and the guy teaching us had us shooting from corner of mouth/edge of ear – which is how I learned yoinks ago..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:51 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
firing a 24lb bow

How well did it burn?

mudcow007 wrote:

Exactly the kind of OCD spackery I try to avoid. You can put a "kisser" on your string, but kisser and peep sight? Die, heretic!

I've drawn to the chin, the mouth, the ear, and even the chest, early-medieval stylee, and all of them can put arrows on the target if you fire shoot consistently.

Ask why it's best to draw to the chin, and see if the answer is more convincing than "It's best because all the best archers do it."

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted i have only ever done archery in centreparcs so guess their training might not be the best, but they always taught to shoot from the corner of your mouth....

I seemed to be ok with 24lb, towards the end my arm was getting shakey, it wasn't my drawing arm, but the arm holding the bow that was struggling?

shooting from close range my groupings were really good, when the target was moved back it all went to pot.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:52 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
the arm holding the bow that was struggling?

It's likely to be slightly bent. You'll want to keep it rigid fnar.

Also, your bow hand is going to be inclined to turn in towards you, meaning your thumb is taking the strain. You'll want the bow to be sitting in the V between your fingers and thumb. Try it out, you can draw a bow without closing your bow-hand fingers on it at all (don't release it like that though!)

Or, you know, do what you want. It's all good. Whistle

Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:47 - 27 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Borg, im gonna watch some youtube videos etc to see if i can pick on technique etc.

I enjoyed it. I think it was £65 each for 5 lessons so not exactly expensive an they provided the kit

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first archery lesson I was told to draw the bow so that my thumb was on my jaw bone.... arm s..... actually it went something like this:

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, stretch your arms out to the side in a T shape, bend your bow wrist slightly and bend the other arm at the elbow so that your arms are in a straight line (if that makes sense, I was being shown when I was being told). Whether you're shooting a target 2 feet or 200 feet in front of you you always draw the string to the same point every time (back of jaw line).... don't draw too far as you could end up doing the "happy dance" (where you draw past your ear without realising and releasing the arrow). For really close targets aim MUCH lower than you think as the arrow travels in an arc..... most important.... never piss off any of the other archers (this was at the place I used to go)

Your arm will get tired, but you will get more used to it quickly and you'll want to move up to a more powerful bow.... stick with what you're using, I've managed around 200 yards with a 24lb bow in the past (over compensated for targets around 100 yards away and it went straight over the top of them into the compound where the archery owners big fancy (new) land rover was sitting, there was also a container in there... I was using a new set of arrows that day and the one that I shot hit something metallic after sailing over the targets. I sold those arrows to a friend and never went near the place for about 6 months after that), even though I got a 36lb bow after a few hours I still get disco arm and my aim goes to shit
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3