BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A scam?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: A scam? Reply with quote

Today, I got this email (I'm not even sure I ever gave Microsoft my email adress)

Quote:
Microsoft account
Security alert
We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account *******@******.cz. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.
If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.
If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.
Recover account
Learn how to make your account more secure.
Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

Is this a scam?

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The content of the email isn't really enough to say. If it is a scam, they could have copied a legit email word for word.

I'd check the target of any links and the senders email address (not just the display name)

As a side note, if you're at all concerned, go and change your password (not using any links from the email)

HTH

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:17 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
As a side note, if you're at all concerned, go and change your password (not using any links from the email)HTH

This. I had the same message a few times about 18 months ago, and when I logged in to the microsoft website and changed the password there, the emails stopped. Just don't click on any embedded links to do it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:30 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I had to create a Microsoft live.com address in order to access some MSDN stuff. It's now so "secure" that I can't access or recover it or access or change my MSDN subscription, so you can't say that Microsoft don't take security seriously.

Hang on... visiting live.com has just resulted in me receiving an email containing:

"We've detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account ro*****@hotmail.com. To help keep you safe, we've required an extra security challenge."

Oh, wait, now I know what my backup email address actually is, as that's where they sent this nag!

Huzzah, account recovered.

So, this thread was pretty useful after all. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went to the official Microsoft site (didn't use any links in the email) and changed the password. Apparently I do have an account there. Thinking of it, I did need some sort of Microsoft account to play GTA IV, back in the day.

Trying to remember my old password took me some time.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
So, I went to the official Microsoft site (didn't use any links in the email) and changed the password. Apparently I do have an account there. Thinking of it, I did need some sort of Microsoft account to play GTA IV, back in the day.

Trying to remember my old password took me some time.

That'll be Games for Windows live, thankfully it got a bullet to the head not too long ago.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is resolved can I hijack this? Smile Got an email from eBay regarding an item I sold recently, saying they had to remove bids from a user who wasn't registered (how did they place bids then) Confused The auction had finished, but they've deleted the listing and I can't leave feedback. The items been sent already.

Not sure if I'm in the early phases of a scam, and if I am what that scam might be Thinking

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
If this is resolved can I hijack this? Smile Got an email from eBay regarding an item I sold recently, saying they had to remove bids from a user who wasn't registered (how did they place bids then) Confused The auction had finished, but they've deleted the listing and I can't leave feedback. The items been sent already.

Not sure if I'm in the early phases of a scam, and if I am what that scam might be Thinking

User may have been removed after winning the auction, and have paid using someone else's details/money.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a copy of the email on the message page in My eBay?

How did they pay?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did the removed bidder win the item? Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Is there a copy of the email on the message page in My eBay?

How did they pay?

Yep, it's a genuine message. Paid via PayPal.

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
And did the removed bidder win the item? Confused

No, that's what I don't understand about it, at worst they would have raised the price a little. I did have a user retract their bid, which was higher than than the sale price. Wondering if that's made the system go potato.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contacted eBay, they're saying the buyer's account was 'hacked' Neutral

Edit: but the guys on the electoral role (where I sent the item), I still suspect eBay's system has panicked over nothing, but I've withdrawn the money from my paypal account just in case.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1