Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cutting tiles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Cutting tiles Reply with quote

Just having to refit some tiles in our bathroom, as the bath has slipped an had been stuck to the wall with adhesive straight onto the tiles Shocked

this causes the existing tiles to be dragged off the wall.

So, I have fixed the bath an repositioned the bath an now screwed it to the wall.

The issue i have now is i need to trim tiles down to fit them, but i only need about 25mm of each tile - in the past i ended up smashing more tiles than cutting when going this small.

any ideas?>

I thought a dremel but reckon it will take weeks to cut em all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:04 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle grinder?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a tile cutter you can have.

want me to have a look?

Or spunk a tenner on this

https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod1154/tilemate-tile-cutter-400mm.html

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers i will have another go tonight with my cutter but will give you a shout

I've bought a box of tiles now - only need 6 cutting so got loads fo spares

ta Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
I've bought a box of tiles now - only need 6 cutting

If that's all you've got to cut, it shouldn't be that hard to do with a conventional score-and-snap cutter (much less than 25mm and it would get more difficult). Make sure your cutter's sharp, and score the line nice and firmly, ensure that the score line reaches the very edges of the tile; and make sure the line's definitely straight (ie, your 'ruler' or whatever doesn't slip). When you snap the tile, sit it on top of something flat with a straight edge (plank of scrap wood?), and align that edge with the score line so the part of the tile that you want to keep is being fully supported underneath. Then use something similar above, ie not just your fingers to apply the downward force to snap the tile evenly along the length of the scored line.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something very similar to one of these that I find works well. Where are you based, as you are welcome to borrow!

https://s20.postimg.org/jq1dowz7x/Screenshot_2017-06-28_at_17.42.28.png

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score the line and then use nibblers if you keep breaking them. Light score, short sharp smack on the cutter.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have come and done them for OP if they were a bit closer to me, I'm a pretty handy tiler even if I say so myself
and have fixed many 1000's of tiles in my time. Score and snap cutter is the simplest type of cutter for the cuts the OP
wants to do. Make sure the bath is empty before measuring your cuts. Measure each cut separately as they will all
be slightly different sizes then fill it with water before redoing your silicone. Be sure to use silicone with a fungicide. China
graph pencil is ideal for drawing lines on tiles.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to use score/snap and nibblers to cut tiles to fit round the sockets in our kitchen so straight lines shouldn't be an issue.

Gotta admit I snapped about 5 before I got the hang of it though Embarassed

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be worth your while buying some similar, but cheap versions of the tiles to get used to the process so you don't end up wasting them and not having enough.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all, got a cheap set of nibblers from screwfix which worked a treat

the cuts were to small to do on the tile cutter - score an snap thingy, so i just scored them on the cutter then nibbled em.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1