Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garage door security

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Garage door security Reply with quote

I've just had an offer accepted on a house meaning finally I will have a garage, albeit in a block.

It has an up and over door and no side access.

Anyone any experience or advice in making this thief proof? I only have experience of bolts from the inside.

Seen T bar type locks. Theres no electric at present so that rules out an auto door.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parent's house had a set of these on about 1/4 of the way up at each side.

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/garage-door-bolt-locks-for-extra-security-one-pair-operated-on-same-key?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOmIlFUI0bCeFVdRQWaP-IMwlb-B6JIuspmy_gfOMsWQaAt4F8P8HAQ

Once fitted and the bolts painted to match the door (key covers not fitted) there was only a pair of small holes to show they were there, bit more discrete than a big bar.

Padlock hasps can be kicked or hammered off quite easily as there's something stuck out to hit.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you keeping in the garage? I used to rent a council garage near the exes to keep my bikes and bits in when I was round there. I have a decent welder and other bits and pieces, so I built an internal cage out of old railings and scrap metal to keep my bikes, gear and a few tools safe. Most expensive bit was 2x Abloy 342 padlocks off ebay to keep the cage closed.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look good Wonko.

I'll be keeping a couple of bikes and tools in there. Nothing mega expensive, may get a ground anchor too though.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Garage door security Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Anyone any experience or advice in making this thief proof? I only have experience of bolts from the inside.

Is the door standard thin ally stretched over a thin ally frame?
If it is then it won't matter what locks you use because if someone wants to get in then they'll just peel back the door skin (hand drill to take a few rivets out if they're a weakling that can't do it with plyers).

So you need to look at a package of upgrades, not just locks...

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at the roof - it's all very well having a Fort Knox door if you can peel back the roofing felt and push through the rotten board.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:21 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

All just speculation about what might attract or deter your local pikeys, but that's what I use.

If it were a remote garage, I'd be tempted to go with 4 of them rather than a pair.

Ultimately it's only going to add time to the pikery though.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a garage defender .

Never been broken into or attempted. Although I'd never know if it has put any would be thief off or if I'd never have been burgled anyway.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a bad area, but the existing door will likely need replacing anyway, as its 40 years old and a bit beaten up. The roof, too, as its asbestos.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the house move sorted Garth! Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my bikes were nicked and the garage door replaced, I dug a hole in front of the garage, filled it with rubble and concrete and fitted a T-Bar. So far it's just causing me inconvenience, but if it's putting the scrotes off, it's working.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Its not a bad area, but the existing door will likely need replacing anyway, as its 40 years old and a bit beaten up. The roof, too, as its asbestos.

Roof:
Questionable cement board, or definitely asbestos? If it's not broken up or falling apart then it'll most likely be much cheaper and quicker to clad over the top with metal roofing sheets. I'd suggest doing that when it needs doing and not before, you might be surprised how much longer it lasts.

Door:
I went for a pricey, but seemingly more secure Horman sectional.

Interior:
Before you pile it full of crap, paint it white. Makes a huge difference.

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two Autolok stoppa devices on my en block garage door, one at each lower corner. It's advantages are that it is discrete so not advertising the location of your prized possessions and there is nothing really to attack or force from the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might scare off the yoofs.
https://s20.postimg.org/cff249xl9/Screenshot_2017-06-28_at_22.24.29.png

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find being in a block makes it safer

Making it look like fort Knox in a block with normal garages will arouse Mr pikeys suspicions

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not garage door security, but I was wondering has anyone used the ride in wheel clamps before. Just considering one for if I can get a garage of my own. Something similar to this below.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/00/27/ab/0027abccec454f955de44937b0854731.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:12 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/garage-door-bolt-locks-for-extra-security-one-pair-operated-on-same-key?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOmIlFUI0bCeFVdRQWaP-IMwlb-B6JIuspmy_gfOMsWQaAt4F8P8HAQ

Once fitted and the bolts painted to match the door (key covers not fitted) there was only a pair of small holes to show they were there, bit more discrete than a big bar.

Padlock hasps can be kicked or hammered off quite easily as there's something stuck out to hit.

Had those fitted to my garage that was broken into and they weren't really of any benefit as the door was weak so by bending the door, the bolts were no longer secured into the frame.

I wouldn't buy them again, I've got a garage defender which would require quite a bit more effort to bend the door enough to get in.

Having good security might be advertising the location of something worth stealing but IMO most of the time when garages are broken into, the thieves already know what's in there and what they're after so having visible security isn't going to make people want to break in.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

Had those fitted to my garage that was broken into and they weren't really of any benefit as the door was weak so by bending the door, the bolts were no longer secured into the frame.

I wouldn't buy them again, I've got a garage defender which would require quite a bit more effort to bend the door enough to get in.

Having good security might be advertising the location of something worth stealing but IMO most of the time when garages are broken into, the thieves already know what's in there and what they're after so having visible security isn't going to make people want to break in.

Recently got some of those myself...
Just out of curiosity, how long were the pins in yours?
The one's I've got extend a fair way into the wall/ground...

Newer design maybe (hopefully)? Thinking

Just out of curiosity, install into wall or ground?
I figure ground = strength and current pins go into the frame?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:24 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr, I've got no idea, it was back in 2007. Laughing They were about the same size as the ones on homesecureshop.co.uk and those ones say they extend 70mm which sounds about right.

In terms of strength, I don't think it'll make a difference if the bolts are going into the ground or into the frame as it's the door which is the weak point.

If you've got a crappy garage door then putting security bolts on it won't make it any less crappy.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read somewhere about reinforcing the frame of thin steel doors with some timber to resist the easy bending. Dunno how it was fixed.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far is the garage from your property?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Interior:Before you pile it full of crap, paint it white. Makes a huge difference.

After decoration the house I had some left over paint that I used to paint inside the garage.
Magnolia ceiling and white walls down to about 3ft (then ran out of paint). It certainly does make a hugh difference.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1