Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best built gaming pc for £750?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Best built gaming pc for £750? Reply with quote

I've got a budget at work to spend on a new computer of about £750. Unfortunately I can't build it, so will be looking for ready built ones. I can get windows 10 free with work so no OS needed.

I'm not really very tech-savvy so I'm not sure whether to go AMD or Intel for the processor, but I've heard people recommend AMD Ryzen processors on here before.

I've found this one on amazon which looks like a decent spec for around my budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Customiser-Gaming-B350M-Motherboard/dp/B06XD79ZXF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498669102&sr=8-2&keywords=ryzen+gaming+pc

any advice whether this is a good deal or any better options would be fantastic. I'm looking to play games like Battlefield 1, GTA 5 and War Thunder so I think this should meet those requirements on high settings?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my graphics card to the GTX 1060 (6gb) and currently tested the following on max settings:
Mass Effect Andromeda
GTA 5
Watch Dogs 2
MGS: The Phantom Pain
Project cars
Dirt Rally

Lowest FPS was probably 35 on any of the games and that's using the AMD FX 8350, 8gb DDR3 and Windows 7 pro.

Also just had a look at some Ryzen reviews and the Intel still kicks its arse for a lot of things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:29 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't build?
It's like a Jigsaw you can't really put anything in the wrong place unless you force it.

You couldn't go wrong with a INTEL i5 6600k, or the 7700, paired with a GTX 1060/80 and doing it yourself will save lots of money to make it look the part too. Get a Z270 mobo and you got a PC within that range.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice, I'll see if I can build it, but not sure I'll be able to if I'm honest.

A decent, cheap bundle would be great if possible.

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:57 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems hard when you think of "building it" but all you are doing is laying the foundation (the mobo) in with 4 screws to your empty case, also 4 screws for the PSU, then your CPU, RAM, and GPU all go in generic places on the mobo you will easily see on a youtube video, hardest bit is just making the wires from the PSU neat. The wires to the HDD/SSD and CDROM (optional) are just a single SATA cable that goes from it to an easy to find slot on the mobo (there are many) and the PSU has the power cables for them already.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomReilly wrote:
Can't build?
It's like a Jigsaw you can't really put anything in the wrong place unless you force it.

Indeed, the only thing I've found that users can incorrectly connect is on the outside not the inside, USB cable at 45degrees in the ethernet port.
It amuses me how often that one crops up. Laughing

I guess in theory you could accidently daisy chain the SATA connections from one device to another instead of to the mobo, but I've yet to hear of anyone actually doing so.
DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Cheers for the advice, I'll see if I can build it, but not sure I'll be able to if I'm honest.

A decent, cheap bundle would be great if possible.

Have you ever done basic maintenance on your bike?

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bal...
I mean, if you can work on a bike, you can put PC components together without it assploding.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 20:24 - 28 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I might have been persuaded Laughing

I've put a list together... under budget too which is ace Thumbs Up Would this run all the latest games reasonably well?

CPU - Intel i5 6600K £205

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80662I56600K-Core-i5-6600K-LGA1151/dp/B010T6DCBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498676546&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+i5+6600k

Graphics Card - Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB £145

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-1050Ti-GDDR5-PCI-E/dp/B01MG15JZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498676902&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+1050ti+4gb

Mother Board - Z270 £130

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-1151-STRIX-Z270F-GAMING/dp/B01NALQ7IX/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498676982&sr=1-2&keywords=z270+motherboard

Case - any £60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011105-WW-Windowed-Mid-Tower-Performance/dp/B01M35FI12/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498677074&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+case

PSU - any £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Supplies/Corsair-9020098-VS650-ATX-EPS-PLUS-Unit/B00PGUSEBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498677210&sr=1-1&keywords=PSU

RAM (8GB) £60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M1A2400C14-Vengeance-Memory-Module/dp/B00UVN2C8O/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498677241&sr=1-6&keywords=8gb+ram

HDD (1TB) £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498677344&sr=1-1&keywords=1TB+hard+drive

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would, but probably not maxed completely. I'd suggest a slightly better GPU if you want a more future-proof system. But I've not owned that card a little research and "vs" other cards by googling. If it comes to that you could get the Z170 mobo to save a little cash too but I'd like someone elses opinion before I say go buy that and this.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is just a box, make one out of lego that looks like R2D2 if you feel like it.

8GB of RAM will run most things, but it depends on your demands really, 16GB couldn't hurt for larfs.

CPU is fine really.
Unless I missed it, neither that nor other pages I checked seem to state if the CPU runs at the same speed that the RAM does though.
As a side note, one seller listed the FSB(Front Side Bus) speed as N/A. Eh?
I'm fairly sure FSB is applicable to CPUs.
However a lot of the time most of the marketed RAM is faster than the CPU and just downclocks anyway, in which case it's fine.

HDD is fine, you may want to consider 1-2TB for storage as a minimum, games are huge.
Also might want a small SSD for windows if you care overly about response/load times.

The 650W Corsair is more than powerful enough for your needs.

The graphics card is the only part I would upgrade if it was me.
With graphics cards you want a bit of futureproofing.
I'm generally inclined to spend around £200 when I get a new card every 2-3 years, and I don't have the highest requirements.

The Mobo, well it's the right socket type for the CPU, but I'm too busy laughing at what the hell they mean by "3D Printing friendly design"
Do they mean it was printed by a friendly 3D Printer?
Or do they mean it works well with 3D printing software and devices? so like all computers then. Thinking

It's like when they put "Windows 10 capable" on monitors, just baffling.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:56 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much point of buying a 1050 IMO.

You can get a second hand 780 for Sub £100 which is ~50% more powerful.

If you want to go new a 1060 will be far more useful you might actually be able to run something that doesn't look like a potato. I think you can get them for ~£200

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:58 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I recently upgraded my graphics card to the GTX 1060 (6gb) and currently tested the following on max settings:
Mass Effect Andromeda
GTA 5
Watch Dogs 2
MGS: The Phantom Pain
Project cars
Dirt Rally

Lowest FPS was probably 35 on any of the games and that's using the AMD FX 8350, 8gb DDR3 and Windows 7 pro.

Also just had a look at some Ryzen reviews and the Intel still kicks its arse for a lot of things

I can run anything on Max settings with Shitty FPS and or resolution.

IMO, you shouldn't claim running a game on Max settings unless it is a fairly solid 60+FPS and @1920x1080+

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Not much point of buying a 1050 IMO.

You can get a second hand 780 for Sub £100 which is ~50% more powerful.

If you want to go new a 1060 will be far more useful you might actually be able to run something that doesn't look like a potato. I think you can get them for ~£200

Yeah I've done a bit more research since and was planning on getting a 1060 now Smile

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go Intel i5 7500 or Ryzen (not sure which).

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel because Intel is always better*

*Not based on actual facts, but in my experience AMD has always trailed, I just immediately look to intel now.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTX1060 is the best value for the money, for 1080p/60Hz gaming.
The CPU, well with such GPU an locked i5 would be more than enough, but to future proof your rig, I'd get locked i7 7700.

I've built my current PC in December 2016: i5 6600, 16GB DDR4 2133MHz (8GB would be enough), B150 motherboard and I used the GTX1050Ti, SSD, PSU and some other bits from the previous computer.
The GTX1050 Ti was not my first choice, obviously. It was a card I used in my previous Q6600 computer. But I must say, the 1050Ti does keep up well (1080p/60Hz). I play 95% of games @ solid 60fps, high-very high settings, all in 1080p. Definitely better experience than on a PS4/Xbox One.

The i5 6600 gets barelly used with this card, I even tried to underclock it to 2.7GHz (i5-6400 clock speed) and the CPU still got barelly used, although now the max temperature is about 40°C (ambient temp 30°C) vs. 60°C when running at full 3.3GHz (3.6GHz turbo using all 4 cores; 3.9GHz in single core use). Why is that, you might ask.

GPU = works with individual pixels, does all the gfx effects, it's still the most important part of every gaming PC.
CPU = works with full frames. Unless you want to see far more than 60fps on your screen, there is no need for a ridiculously fast CPU. After all, you can do 4K gaming on an i3.

Locked vs K Intel chips,
I'm not a fan of overclocking, especially OC'ing the CPU. In most scenarios the actuall in game performance gain is negligeable + there is extra cost of that. I see OC'ing as an hobby, to push the limits of the HW, not the necessary approach to gaming (but I do understand the marketing standpoint).

Ryzen?
I think it's too early to jump on the AMD train. Let them fix all the bugs, performance and optimisation issues first.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Unless you want to see far more than 60fps on your screen, there is no need for a ridiculously fast CPU.

Depends, with racing games there's a noticeable drop below 100fps, if it gets too low you lose FFB at the wheel and crash (used to game on a laptop so know all about that Neutral).

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Best built gaming pc for £750? Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I've got a budget at work to spend on a new computer of about £750. Unfortunately I can't build it, so will be looking for ready built ones. I can get windows 10 free with work so no OS needed.

I'm not really very tech-savvy so I'm not sure whether to go AMD or Intel for the processor, but I've heard people recommend AMD Ryzen processors on here before.

I've found this one on amazon which looks like a decent spec for around my budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Customiser-Gaming-B350M-Motherboard/dp/B06XD79ZXF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498669102&sr=8-2&keywords=ryzen+gaming+pc

any advice whether this is a good deal or any better options would be fantastic. I'm looking to play games like Battlefield 1, GTA 5 and War Thunder so I think this should meet those requirements on high settings?

Any jobs going?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Unless you want to see far more than 60fps on your screen, there is no need for a ridiculously fast CPU.

Depends, with racing games there's a noticeable drop below 100fps, if it gets too low you lose FFB at the wheel and crash (used to game on a laptop so know all about that Neutral).

I'm a v-sync peasant. 60fps is all I want and need. Yes, even in racing games I aim at 60fps.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.premiercomputerfairs.co.uk/

Remembering it being popular when younger, haven't been in forever.

If of use. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
https://www.premiercomputerfairs.co.uk/

Remembering it being popular when younger, haven't been in forever.

If of use. Thumbs Up

I assumed they had all died out with internet shopping Thinking I remember going to one with someone who paid £128 for 128MB of RAM and that being a really good deal.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:55 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your boss is fine with you gaming in work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:55 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
So your boss is fine with you gaming in work?

Some companies give you allowances or deals to buy your own kit. My place used to let you buy kit through them with no vat and you pay it off interest free over a year, not sure if they still do that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1